PDA

View Full Version : Camden City Council Approves Massive Police And Fire Layoffs

megimoo
12-03-2010, 03:30 AM
– Camden City Council, as expected, voted Thursday to lay off almost 400 workers, half of them police officers and firefighters, to bridge a $26.5 million deficit.

That’s about a quarter of the city’s entire work force.

Five members of City Council voted unanimously to approve the layoff plan — two other members were absent. The cuts take effect in mid-January.

Exactly how many city workers will be affected is still an open question, although nearly half the city’s police and a third of the firefighters are slated to go.
snip
“If we agreed to everything that the city proposed in concessions, it would only have a minor impact on the number of layoffs,” Walco told the council members.

No argument from Council. They sat impassively as workers and residents alike voiced their frustration. When it was over, Council president Frank Moran suggested they’re not to blame.“We didn’t put a price tag on public safety. Unfortunately, the governor of the State of New Jersey put that price tag on it,” he said at the packed Council meeting.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2010/12/02/camden-city-council-approves-massive-police-and-fire-layoffs/

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-03-2010, 04:42 AM
– Camden City Council, as expected, voted Thursday to lay off almost 400 workers, half of them police officers and firefighters, to bridge a $26.5 million deficit.

That’s about a quarter of the city’s entire work force.

Five members of City Council voted unanimously to approve the layoff plan — two other members were absent. The cuts take effect in mid-January.

Exactly how many city workers will be affected is still an open question, although nearly half the city’s police and a third of the firefighters are slated to go.
snip
“If we agreed to everything that the city proposed in concessions, it would only have a minor impact on the number of layoffs,” Walco told the council members.

No argument from Council. They sat impassively as workers and residents alike voiced their frustration. When it was over, Council president Frank Moran suggested they’re not to blame.“We didn’t put a price tag on public safety. Unfortunately, the governor of the State of New Jersey put that price tag on it,” he said at the packed Council meeting.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2010/12/02/camden-city-council-approves-massive-police-and-fire-layoffs/

IMO, this is a very bad decision.
Having police and firemen isn't welfare.
This is public safety.

cajunrevenge
12-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Cutting police/fire fighters is a scare tactic. Hard for me to believe there is nothing better they could cut.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Cutting police/fire fighters is a scare tactic. Hard for me to believe there is nothing better they could cut.

Indeed. I thin cutting police and firemen is one of the WORST things you can cut.
These are people who keep others safe. It's not a welfare service or a food stamp.
As someone who is grounded in law, public safety and order, this pisses me off.

Madisonian
12-03-2010, 08:26 AM

If NJ allowed open carry or CCW, maybe they would not need as many cops.;)

Bailey
12-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I say use the NJ guard and set up a perimeter around Camden and just let the savages kill each other.

You can make it pay for itself by selling footage on Pay Per view. Nothing short of Martial law will help that city, you can throw all kinds of money at it but in the end it'll fail.

Odysseus
12-03-2010, 10:16 AM
If NJ allowed open carry or CCW, maybe they would not need as many cops.;)
Although I am firmly in favor of open carry and CCW, I just had a cringe-inducing moment of Snookie and "the Situation" carrying weapons... :eek:

I say use the NJ guard and set up a perimeter around Camden and just let the savages kill each other.

You can make it pay for itself by selling footage on Pay Per view. Nothing short of Martial law will help that city, you can throw all kinds of money at it but in the end it'll fail.

I can see the Pay Per View show now...

http://www.cinemotions.com/scripts/slider/image_sorties_id.php?id_image=490361

megimoo
12-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Although I am firmly in favor of open carry and CCW, I just had a cringe-inducing moment of Snookie and "the Situation" carrying weapons... :eek:

I can see the Pay Per View show now...

http://www.cinemotions.com/scripts/slider/image_sorties_id.php?id_image=490361

I was thinking along the lines of Nero and Rome burning for six days While he sang the "Sack of Ilium" !

NJCardFan
12-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Jersey City, Newark, and Atlantic City have already laid off police. This is not a scare tactic. But basically the city council of Camden just handed the city over to the gangs who already run the city. I say throw a bubble over Cooper Hospital and nuke the rest of the city.

Odysseus
12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I was thinking along the lines of Nero and Rome burning for six days While he sang the "Sack of Ilium" !
Too obscure. Today, it would be Obama rapping while the economy melts down.

Jersey City, Newark, and Atlantic City have already laid off police. This is not a scare tactic. But basically the city council of Camden just handed the city over to the gangs who already run the city. I say throw a bubble over Cooper Hospital and nuke the rest of the city.
I would have no problem with this if the laid off cops came exclusively out of the council's protective details, and not local precincts or patrols. I'd also have no problem if the union hierarchy, which almost certainly includes the highest salaries in the department, were on the list.