PDA

View Full Version : "Oliver North: Voting With Their Feet."

megimoo
12-03-2010, 04:33 AM
WASHINGTON -- Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini and Hideki Tojo tried and failed. Mao Zedong, Nikita Khrushchev and Ho Chi Minh couldn't do it. But commander in chief Barack Obama may well succeed where others could not. If he has his way, he will demolish the finest force for good in the history of mankind -- the U.S. armed forces. And he wants to make it all happen before the end of the year.

On Nov. 30, Defense Secretary Robert Gates released the much-leaked "Report of the Comprehensive Review of the Issues Associated with a Repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.'" Only the Pentagon could come up with a title like that.
snip
The 17-year-old law states: "The presence in the armed forces of persons who demonstrate a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capability." Importantly, the phrase "don't ask, don't tell" appears nowhere in the law.
snip
Apparently unmoved by the concern expressed by well over half of our soldiers, sailors and Marines deployed in war zones, Gates and Mullen now argue that Congress must repeal the law immediately or the courts will intervene.

Thirty-five percent of service members in deployed combat units said such a change would have a negative impact on combat effectiveness.

Sixty-seven percent of Marines and more than 57 percent of soldiers in U.S. Army combat units believe changing the law would hurt combat efficiency, unit cohesion, readiness and retention.

Notably, military chaplains -- from all denominations -- overwhelmingly oppose changing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
snip

http://townhall.com/columnists/OliverNorth/2010/12/03/voting_with_their_feet/page/full/

Starbuck
12-04-2010, 03:52 PM
My honest fear with this issue is that the military will become a haven for gays, who are notorious risk avoiders and "benefit shoppers", and by becoming so will become a place of last resort to straight people who are risk takers and more suited for military work.

This whole nonsense about gay marriage being a freedom thing is really about social security benefits.

megimoo
12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
My honest fear with this issue is that the military will become a haven for gays, who are notorious risk avoiders and "benefit shoppers", and by becoming so will become a place of last resort to straight people who are risk takers and more suited for military work.

This whole nonsense about gay marriage being a freedom thing is really about social security benefits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aotlEpmAFVQ

Articulate_Ape
12-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I think that anyone willing to serve and stand in harm's way to defend this nation should not be discouraged. However, I definitely don't think the military should be treated like a societal petri dish either, especially during a time of war. Integrating openly gay people into the armed forces is a very complicated matter that should be addressed in a carefully considered way.

There is a time for everything and I do not think this is the time. If the groups who are pushing for allowing openly gay people to serve in the military fail to understand this reality, they do so at the peril of their own cause.