PDA

View Full Version : Eye of the storm: The jaw-dropping image of an enormous 'supercell' cloud

Gingersnap
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Eye of the storm: The jaw-dropping image of an enormous 'supercell' cloud

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 8:12 AM on 3rd December 2010

It looks like something from the film Independence Day.

But although it may seem like an alien mothership, this incredible picture is actually an impressive thunderstorm cloud known as a supercell.

Windswept dust and rain dominate the storm's centre while rings of jagged clouds surround the edge. A flimsy tree in the foreground looks like a toy next to the magnificent natural phenomenon.

http://i55.tinypic.com/bg4fb6.jpg
A super cell thunderstorm crosses a path and continues unabated across the plains on July 28th

The photograph is just one image from the portfolio of electrician Sean Heavey. The supercell cloud was photographed in July west of Glasgow, Montana, USA.

Mr Heavey, 34, an amateur photographer, created the jaw-dropping panoramic image by stitching together three photos from the 400 frames he took of the violent scene he witnessed in July

It caused minor damage, and lasted several hours before moving on. Massive storm systems like this centre on mesocyclones -- rotating updrafts that deliver torrential rain and high winds.

The dangerous outbreak of weather raged for several hours and caused minor damage to local communities - while watchful Mr Heavey captured all its devastating beauty from a distance.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1334672/Jaw-dropping-image-enormous-supercell-cloud-Glasgow-Montana.html#ixzz174IDrMUS

Kay
12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Beautiful! I'm using that as my new desktop picture.

djones520
12-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Something about that picture is off. The ground just seems... fake.

But I love a good supercell. Get a few of them every year at Scott. Always making my family hide in the pantry while I'm on the porch watching it. :D

Rockntractor
12-03-2010, 09:49 PM

But I love a good supercell. Get a few of them every year at Scott. Always making my family hide in the pantry while I'm on the porch watching it. :D

I have shot a lot of storm pics out west with a 4x5 view camera and I have some that look similar, it's real.

AmPat
12-04-2010, 01:29 AM
I have shot a lot of storm pics out west with a 4x5 view camera and I have some that look similar, it's real.
Clouds like that usually smell like poop!

Gingersnap
12-04-2010, 10:45 PM

He combined 4 shots of the cell so that probably affects the stationary objects. ;)

Rockntractor
12-04-2010, 10:47 PM
He combined 4 shots of the cell so that probably affects the stationary objects. ;)

A very slow shutter speed to collect enough light also contributed.

megimoo
12-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Clouds like that usually smell like poop!They suck up every outhouse in the county and rain the crap down from the top of the cell !