PDA

View Full Version : I am boycotting Amazon. Support your independent bookstores!

SarasotaRepub
12-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Amazon.com is crushed!!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9683585) :(

kgnu_fan (967 posts) Fri Dec-03-10 05:11 PM
Original message I am boycotting Amazon. Support your independent bookstores!

http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2010/12/02/daniel-ellsberg-... (http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2010/12/02/daniel-ellsberg-says-boycott-amazon) /
Daniel Ellsberg Says Boycott Amazon
Daniel Ellsberg, December 02, 2010

Open letter to Amazon.com Customer Service:

December 2, 2010

I’m disgusted by Amazon’s cowardice and servility in abruptly terminating today its hosting of the Wikileaks website, in the face of threats from Senator Joe Lieberman and other Congressional right-wingers. I want no further association with any company that encourages legislative and executive officials to aspire to China’s control of information and deterrence of whistle-blowing.

For the last several years, I’ve been spending over $100 a month on new and used books from Amazon. That’s over. I ask Amazon to terminate immediately my membership in Amazon Prime and my Amazon credit card and account, to delete my contact and credit information from their files and to send me no more notices.

I understand that many other regular customers feel as I do and are responding the same way. Good: the broader and more immediate the boycott, the better. I hope that these others encourage their contact lists to do likewise and to let Amazon know exactly why they’re shifting their business. I’ve asked friends today to suggest alternatives, and I’ll be exploring service from Powell’s Books, Half-Price Books, Biblio and others.

So far Amazon has spared itself the further embarrassment of trying to explain its action openly. This would be a good time for Amazon insiders who know and perhaps can document the political pressures that were brought to bear–and the details of the hasty kowtowing by their bosses–to leak that information. They can send it to Wikileaks (now on servers outside the US), to mainstream journalists or bloggers, or perhaps to sites like antiwar.com that have now appropriately ended their book-purchasing association with Amazon.

Yours (no longer),
Daniel DUmmie (Tee,Hee)

Another stupid boycott. :rolleyes::D

NJCardFan
12-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I do at least 70% of my online shopping at Amazon and will continue to do so. Even more now. :D

SarasotaRepub
12-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I do at least 70% of my online shopping at Amazon and will continue to do so. Even more now. :D

Damn right! Now that I have the Kindle...:D I mean when I have the Kindle...

djones520
12-04-2010, 11:30 AM
All the books I buy from Amazon are used. Guess where those books come from? Independant book stores. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
OMG. You mean I have to return the storage containers I got from them yesterday. What am I going to do? I ripped the box up so that it would fit in the recycle can.

ironhorsedriver
12-04-2010, 12:26 PM
My Kindle can only recieve books from Amazon. Needless to say, I will continue to shop with them.

megimoo
12-04-2010, 12:34 PM
My Kindle can only recieve books from Amazon. Needless to say, I will continue to shop with them.Do you have Kindle software for your pc ?

ironhorsedriver
12-04-2010, 12:43 PM
No, I thought about downloading that and for my Blackberry, but I really don't feel that I would use them. I usually carry the Kindle with me.

ironhorsedriver
12-04-2010, 12:45 PM
If you have the standard Kindle, you can only download where an ATT signal can be recieved. Usually not a problem, and there's no charge for the use of ATT signal.

Dan D. Doty
12-04-2010, 03:30 PM
One lone nut screams in the wilderness and he's pissed off because the world didn't stop and give him its undivided attention :rolleyes:

Just another day at DU :rolleyes:

ironhorsedriver
12-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Just discovered you can download through the USB also. Also found a site with unlimited free books. Goes through libraries world wide, including most universities, library of Congress and the National archives. Will download to Kindle, even has a specific Kindle format. I think my kindle is smoking from all the books I just got of it. If you have a reader, here is the site.
http://www.archive.org/

SarasotaRepub
12-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Just discovered you can download through the USB also. Also found a site with unlimited free books. Goes through libraries world wide, including most universities, library of Congress and the National archives. Will download to Kindle, even has a specific Kindle format. I think my kindle is smoking from all the books I just got of it. If you have a reader, here is the site.

Thanks for posting the site! :)

BadCat
12-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Typical DUmmies.

Amazon was just supposed to sit there and let their Elastic Cloud come under massive DDoS attacks, and risk millions of dollars of revenue just to let the traitors message get out?

SarasotaRepub
12-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Typical DUmmies.

Amazon was just supposed to sit there and let their Elastic Cloud come under massive DDoS attacks, and risk millions of dollars of revenue just to let the traitors message get out?

Well of course! They were supposed to speak TRUTH TO POWER!!!!! :rolleyes::D

noonwitch
12-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to go to the bookstore to buy books. I like to peruse them to make sure I want to plunk down $20 of my hard-earned cash for them.

ironhorsedriver
12-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to go to the bookstore to buy books. I like to peruse them to make sure I want to plunk down $20 of my hard-earned cash for them.
That was my hold out for along time. My wife got me the Kndle, and I was hooked. Max price for a new book has been $9.00. If I'm unsure if I want the book, I'll visit the bookstore, browse the book, go outside and buy it. An E-reader just makes hauling your reading material around easier.

Teddy Kennedy
12-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Great site. Thanks.

Gingersnap
12-06-2010, 10:52 AM

I go to local bookstores but I buy most of my books through Amazon. I love the reader reviews and they have a much better selection of books in narrow fields that I have an interest in. :)

movie buff
12-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Lots of reasons for me to continue my patronage of Amazon:
1. It is literally the only place I can get many products I desire, including class textbooks.
2. A few months ago, they refused to sell a manual written by some sicko to help pedophiles get away with what they do (And for doing so, were accused of censorship and bigotry by liberal loons such as those on DU).
3. Now,there's this.
Keep up the good work, Amazon!