PDA

View Full Version : Some balanced reading

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Being the proud nerd and history lover that I am, I decided to treat myself with some cash to some history books--Mostly discussing 20th century era America in different aspects. I also decided, however, to do some balanced reading:

After reading a bunch of excerpts online, I decided to get Glenn Beck's Broke, and a book Beck had strongly recommended about Calvin Coolidge. I also have decided to get Van Jones' book, and a book by one of Obama's other czars, Cass Sunstein. Next on the list are books about FDR and Warren Harding since they were basically polar opposites.

Have you guys ever read books put out by the 'other side'? Either political or history ooks written by people whose views you utterly disagree with?

Edit: Reading through an excerpt of Sunstein's book, it's interesting to see how far leftists STILL, after all this time, have a thing against Nixon. Sunstein writes in essence that social justice and economic rights have not come and aren't part of our Constitution BECAUSE of Nixon's victory in 1968 and his appointees to the Supreme Court. He says that Nixon's victory was a "product of America's distinctive culture", and places the blame, if you will, for Nixon's victory on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (essentially implying that Nixon only won because of Southern racism).

megimoo
12-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Being the proud nerd and history lover that I am, I decided to treat myself with some cash to some history books--Mostly discussing 20th century era America in different aspects. I also decided, however, to do some balanced reading:

After reading a bunch of excerpts online, I decided to get Glenn Beck's Broke, and a book Beck had strongly recommended about Calvin Coolidge. I also have decided to get Van Jones' book, and a book by one of Obama's other czars, Cass Sunstein. Next on the list are books about FDR and Warren Harding since they were basically polar opposites.

Have you guys ever read books put out by the 'other side'? Either political or history ooks written by people whose views you utterly disagree with?

Edit: Reading through an excerpt of Sunstein's book, it's interesting to see how far leftists STILL, after all this time, have a thing against Nixon. Sunstein writes in essence that social justice and economic rights have not come and aren't part of our Constitution BECAUSE of Nixon's victory in 1968 and his appointees to the Supreme Court. He says that Nixon's victory was a "product of America's distinctive culture", and places the blame, if you will, for Nixon's victory on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (essentially implying that Nixon only won because of Southern racism).

Their 'world views' are distorted by their ideology .The 'left' preaches progressive talking points such as come lets us reason together or why are conservatives so mean while they conduct gorilla warfare in the background.

Sunstein preaches an idea that the 'common swine' shouldn't use the internet because it destroys their civility towards the liberal Progressive point of view.

He further states in his book that .The Internet is making us stupid - and Freedom of choice is not always good for democracy. This observation is at the heart of University of Chicago law professor Cass Sunstein's book "Republic.com.

Sunstein has the Liberal/Progressive disease just as Obama. He is inflicted with an Superoriety Narcissm syndrome ,but Enough of that arrogant fool.

I much prefer reading early American History and the people who forged this great nation into what it once was.To me a great man is a normal man who rises to the challenge of the times.My favorites are revolutionary war hero's are Sam Adams,James Otis and John Hancock .

Read "Three Men Of Boston" by John R. Galvin when you have a chance

Adams in particular was the prime mover of the revolution in Boston .Otis was a great orator who spoke at every public gathering he attended for the cause of independence from England.

Between Jefferson who secretly financed and supplied the cause with weapons,food and uniforms , Adams who worked diligently to keep the spark of freedom alive and Otis the great spokesman Boston was alive with insurrection.

NJCardFan
12-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Nixon won because of Southern racism? Wow. Uncanny how silly that sounds. Reason being is that Nixon carried the Carolinas, Tennessee, and Florida. Wallace carried the bible belt, and Humphrey carried Texas. Wallace carrying those states were the result of Southern racism and backlash at the Civil Rights Act, not Nixon. Besides, if Nixon was so bad, how did he win the most lopsided presidential election of all time in 1972? And need I add that George Wallace was a Democrat before and after the '68 election? And that the southern racist states were predominantly Democrat?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Nixon won because of Southern racism? Wow. Uncanny how silly that sounds. Reason being is that Nixon carried the Carolinas, Tennessee, and Florida. Wallace carried the bible belt, and Humphrey carried Texas. Wallace carrying those states were the result of Southern racism and backlash at the Civil Rights Act, not Nixon. Besides, if Nixon was so bad, how did he win the most lopsided presidential election of all time in 1972? And need I add that George Wallace was a Democrat before and after the '68 election? And that the southern racist states were predominantly Democrat?

No need, I myself didn't think he won because of racism. In '68 he was simply the better candidate and '72 because he was hugely popular and because McGovern was kind of extreme. These are just Sunsteins' view. Remember, in a lot of the radical New Left, people like Nixon, and yes even LBJ were bad guys who had to be stopped because they were "The Man." Sunstein I think is one of those sort of Hippie Leftists, like Pelosi and the rest.