PDA

View Full Version : Seven cyclists killed in Italy crash

Gingersnap
12-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Seven cyclists killed in Italy crash

http://i51.tinypic.com/16k3r46.jpg
Emergency services at the scene of the fatal crash yesterday. Photo: Reuters/OTN PhotoEmergency services at the scene of the fatal crash yesterday. Photo: Reuters/OTN Photo

PADDY AGNEW in Rome

Seven amateur cyclists out for a morning ride were killed yesterday near Lamezia Terme in Calabria when they were hit head-on by an oncoming car that had misjudged an overtaking manoeuvre.

Initial reports suggest that the car, a powerful Mercedes driven by 21-year-old Chafik Elktrani, went out of control while travelling at high speed.

Mr Elktrani, from Morocco, whose driving licence was suspended seven months ago following a dangerous overtaking incident, tested positive for cannabis yesterday, said police.

Mr Elktrani, who himself received non-life threatening injuries in the crash, was last night formally arrested on charges of multiple manslaughter. Also lightly injured in the crash was his eight-year-old nephew who was with him in the car.

Gennaro Perri, one of three seriously injured cyclists who survived the pile-up, provided the only eyewitness account of the horrific accident. “I saw that at a certain point where the road is straight the Mercedes went out of control as it was overtaking. But we didn’t have time to realise what was happening.”

Mr Perri, whose brother Rosario was one of those killed, said he saw Mr Elktrani get out of his car immediately after the accident. The young Moroccan, he said, did not seem to realise the gravity of what had happened. Rather than looking at the bodies strewn across the road, his first instinct was to ask if anybody had a mobile phone he could use.

TV footage showed the bodies, covered with white sheets, and a series of mangled bicycles strewn across the Statale 18, a straight stretch at the point the accident happened.

It is a common sight on a Sunday morning – groups of amateur cyclists out for their weekly ride. The seven cyclists killed yesterday all belonged to the Atlas amateur cycling club based in Sambiase, near Lamezia Terme.

Irish Times (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1206/breaking4.html)

Bubba Dawg
12-06-2010, 07:35 PM
That's a shame. On a bicycle you have no protection in such a crash. :(

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 07:43 PM
But . . . but . . . . but . . . . . pot is safe!!!

:( it's horrible that people had to pay with their lives for the selfishness of a rich fool who cannot see beyond his own pleasure.

Hawkgirl
12-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Italian drivers are crazy, I'd never get on those roads in a bicycle...you take enough of a chance with a car.

djones520
12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
But . . . but . . . . but . . . . . pot is safe!!!

:( it's horrible that people had to pay with their lives for the selfishness of a rich fool who cannot see beyond his own pleasure.

The question is, how do you know he was high? Coulda toked up two weeks ago.

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 08:08 PM
The question is, how do you know he was high? Coulda toked up two weeks ago.

Because people who live and act like these people do are not going to be the type to just get high once in a while.

Rockntractor
12-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Because people who live and act like these people do are not going to be the type to just get high once in a while.
So you know him personally?:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
12-06-2010, 08:34 PM
The guy was a Moroccan kid with a history of bad driving. Was he familiar with that road? Was he yakking on a cell phone? Would a stoner have been going at a high rate of speed on a road anyway?

Who knows?

His history of bad driving and possible lack of familiarity with the road and the use of the road are probably the real culprits. :mad:

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
So you know him personally?:rolleyes:

You don't have to know him personally to see the writing on the wall.

Bubba Dawg
12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep. The kid is a creep. :mad:

Rockntractor
12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
You don't have to know him personally to see the writing on the wall.
You only see the writing on the bottom of the wall.:rolleyes:

AmPat
12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Seven amateur cyclists out for a morning ride were killed yesterday near Lamezia Terme in Calabria when they were hit head-on by an oncoming car that had misjudged an overtaking manoeuvre.............
across the Statale 18, a straight stretch at the point the accident happened.

Stupid punk driving irresponsibly, probably under the influence and likely overestimating his driving prowess.

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 09:10 PM
You only see the writing on the bottom of the wall.:rolleyes:

and even that little bit is enough to tell me this kid is a selfish bastard who likes to get high.

m00
12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
and even that little bit is enough to tell me this kid is a selfish bastard who likes to get high.

Would you have the same reaction if this story revealed the kid tested positive for alcohol instead?

Rockntractor
12-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Your probably right.

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Would you have the same reaction if this story revealed the kid tested positive for alcohol instead?
Hell no. I lost people I love to a drunk driver. I'm of the opinion that if you drive drunk and kill someone you should face murder charges and the death penalty.

Rockntractor
12-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I drive to town on a road that is just barely wide enough for two cars and has lot's of curves, I often see several bicycles at a time blocking a whole lane, one of these days one of the gravel trucks is going to plow through a pack of them on a curve, it's just a matter of time.

Bubba Dawg
12-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I drive to town on a road that is just barely wide enough for two cars and has lot's of curves, I often see several bicycles at a time blocking a whole lane, one of these days one of the gravel trucks is going to plow through a pack of them on a curve, it's just a matter of time.

I don't ride on the highway anymore. I'll ride on side roads with good shoulders and good visibility but don't even do that much anymore.