PDA

View Full Version : Palin and the Reindeer

Molon Labe
12-06-2010, 01:54 PM
If this doesn't show what a fraud she is with this "Rugged Outdoors" shtick she tries to sell....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0Xx4DXkYk

She acts like she's never fired a rifle before. I don't know too many experience hunters that go hunting with someone's else's weapon....or one that you didn't sight in yourself.

How many people here think a high powered hunting rifle ain't going to have any "kick"? :rolleyes:

Rebel Yell
12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
If this doesn't show what a fraud she is with this "Rugged Outdoors" shtick she tries to sell....

She acts like she's never fired a rifle before. I don't know too many experience hunters that go hunting with someone's else's weapon....or one that you didn't sight in yourself.

How many people here think a high powered hunting rifle ain't going to have any "kick"? :rolleyes:

My Dad has a 7mm STW that has virtually no kick. My .243 has more kick than his cannon.

Rebel Yell
12-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Are reindeer THAt stupid. You would never get that many shots at a whitetail.

Molon Labe
12-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Are reindeer THAt stupid. You would never get that many shots at a whitetail.

I kinda doubt they're any different. I've had a younger deer act stupid and look at someone's first shot, but not a 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Looks like this hunting expedition had a little help from Mr. Film editor. lol!

Jfor
12-06-2010, 03:24 PM

Did you happen to see where it was her father's rifle? Did you happen o see that he had fallen while carrying the rifle? Did you happen to see that when she used the guides rifle it was one shot, one kill? No? You just watched the edited video from Youtube. Your Palin hatred is astounding.

Rebel Yell
12-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I kinda doubt they're any different. I've had a younger deer act stupid and look at someone's first shot, but not a 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Looks like this hunting expedition had a little help from Mr. Film editor. lol!

I've gotten a second shot after one bouced around confused as to where the shot came from. Hell, I've gotten a third shot while one was running. I've NEVER had one just stand absolutely still while I shot 4 and 5 times. I swear the shot of the reindeer turning to face them the second time looked like the same shot from the first time.

noonwitch
12-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Was that Donner or Blitzen?

Poor baby.

Odysseus
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Did you happen to see where it was her father's rifle? Did you happen o see that he had fallen while carrying the rifle? Did you happen to see that when she used the guides rifle it was one shot, one kill? No? You just watched the edited video from Youtube. Your Palin hatred is astounding.

If it's not my rifle, and I've never fired it or one like it, then I'd ask if it had a kick. I'd rather ask than get a nasty surprise.

I notice that she didn't make the rookie mistake of putting her eye too close to the scope. New shooters do that until they get a scope-shaped bruise around the eye. Also, she did the breath control and seemed at ease with the weapon. Her misses can be chalked up to it being a dropped rifle.

Rebel Yell
12-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Poor baby.

Nope, it was Lenny, the special reindeer that Santa never speaks of.

Molon Labe
12-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I've gotten a second shot after one bouced around confused as to where the shot came from. Hell, I've gotten a third shot while one was running. I've NEVER had one just stand absolutely still while I shot 4 and 5 times. I swear the shot of the reindeer turning to face them the second time looked like the same shot from the first time.

Never been on a big game expedition, and I'm not what you'd call a "great" hunter, but from watching those Saturday morning hunting shows in Texas, the shots some people can and do take are pretty lenghty. Still, I can't see a seasoned male Deer standing there for too long without going into a full sprint once he knows somethings not right.

Gingersnap
12-06-2010, 03:52 PM

Poor baby.

I dunno but Dasher's skin is draped over a rail at my house and he looks just fine. Seriously.

noonwitch
12-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Well, it's probably good that he was shot and put out of his misery, then. If they wouldn't let Rudolph play in their reindeer games because he had a red nose, who knows what they would do to a special reindeer.

CueSi
12-06-2010, 04:40 PM
All ya'll. . . Corner---------------->

Now. :p

~QC

AmPat
12-06-2010, 08:03 PM

She dropped it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nuff said.

djones520
12-06-2010, 08:05 PM

I've seen a white tail stand there while a fool took 3 shots at it, and it never even moved until the third missed.

And my .308 has no kick at all.

malloc
12-06-2010, 08:28 PM

I've never quite understood this. I'm not a hunter myself (yet... I've been pondering the idea), but I have many friends who are, and their hunting rifles are a might touchy. I do tactical shooting, and if I dropped my XCR + ACOG, or even my PS-90 TR + Eotech, I doubt performance would be affected at all. These high powered hunting rifles and varmint guns are like finely tuned F1 cars. You kick the tires and the whole system gets knocked out of wack. It kind of makes you wonder why manufacturers don't get on the ball and start shoring them up a little doesn't it?

Also, there's the safety mechanisms. These guys have to unload and un-chamber their rifles when crossing fences, streams, ravines, whatever. This was articulated by my friend's .270, which if dropped on the butt has about a 10% chance of un-safetying itself and firing (the .270 to the best of my knowledge is a Remington made in the 80's). I have a 1918 SMLE that does the same thing, but it's really old. From the stories I've read online, it's not alone in this feat. I wouldn't ever try it, but I could probably drop my XCR down a cliff with a round chambered and, so long as it was saftied, it wouldn't go off.

AmPat
12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Ummm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pregnant pause,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was referring to Palin dropping the Buck. As for the rifle, it is not delicate like an egg. The only thing that might suffer a problem would be the scope.

djones520
12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Also, the video won't load for me due to a horrible connection, but I've watched enough hunting shows to know that you take shots at Reindeer from very far away. They have superb vision and it's extremely hard to sneak up on them.

By the time the deer had heard the shot, it had probably washed out enough that it wasn't that alarming, if it was unable to see what was causing it.

Chuck58
12-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Well, not to be picky, but that wasn't Rudolph, or Blitzen or Comet.

That was a caribou, not a reindeer. You'd think the clowns that made that Youtube video would at least know the difference.

I noticed that when her father fell with the rifle, it put a nice ding in the buttstock. No doubt knocked the scope way off, and it doesn't take a hard hit to knock a scope out of alignment (speaking from experience).

Adam Wood
12-07-2010, 01:56 AM

That was a caribou, not a reindeer. You'd think the clowns that made that Youtube video would at least know the difference.

I noticed that when her father fell with the rifle, it put a nice ding in the buttstock. No doubt knocked the scope way off, and it doesn't take a hard hit to knock a scope out of alignment (speaking from experience).When was the last time that you saw simple facts stand in the way of the PDS-addled? Tanning-bed-gate, anyone?

Odysseus
12-07-2010, 03:31 AM
Lenny, the brown-nosed reindeer?

Ummm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pregnant pause,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was referring to Palin dropping the Buck. As for the rifle, it is not delicate like an egg. The only thing that might suffer a problem would be the scope.
And the scope would be the part that would throw off her aim. Got it.

Poor Lenny. :(

hoplophobe
12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Never been on a big game expedition, and I'm not what you'd call a "great" hunter, but from watching those Saturday morning hunting shows in Texas, the shots some people can and do take are pretty lenghty. Still, I can't see a seasoned male Deer standing there for too long without going into a full sprint once he knows somethings not right.
Deer are stupid. If in rut, more stupid.

Gingersnap
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM

I noticed that when her father fell with the rifle, it put a nice ding in the buttstock. No doubt knocked the scope way off, and it doesn't take a hard hit to knock a scope out of alignment (speaking from experience).

To be picky, reindeer and caribou are the same thing. People used to think that semi-domesticated reindeer actually were different but DNA doesn't lie. There are various subgroups among reindeer/caribou but genetically no difference between wild caribou and reindeer in a petting zoo. :cool:

linda22003
12-07-2010, 10:33 AM
To be picky, reindeer and caribou are the same thing. People used to think that semi-domesticated reindeer actually were different but DNA doesn't lie. There are various subgroups among reindeer/caribou but genetically no difference between wild caribou and reindeer in a petting zoo. :cool:

If they're the same, count me in. I had reindeer several times in Scandinavia and LOVED it (especially smoked, with horseradish sauce). When we came home we told friends not to be looking for Santa that year, because we'd eaten most of his transportation. :)

Rebel Yell
12-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Also, the video won't load for me due to a horrible connection, but I've watched enough hunting shows to know that you take shots at Reindeer from very far away. They have superb vision and it's extremely hard to sneak up on them.

By the time the deer had heard the shot, it had probably washed out enough that it wasn't that alarming, if it was unable to see what was causing it.

You really can't learn much from hunting shows. Most of them are filmed on buck ranches. There is a big difference in ranch deer and wild deer.

Molon Labe
12-07-2010, 10:49 AM

lol. somehow I really doubt it. Just watching that video makes me think more of Kate Goslin than Ted Nugent.

Gingersnap
12-07-2010, 10:49 AM
If they're the same, count me in. I had reindeer several times in Scandinavia and LOVED it (especially smoked, with horseradish sauce). When we came home we told friends not to be looking for Santa that year, because we'd eaten most of his transportation. :)

I like reindeer myself and it's a popular winter dish in Scandinavia. Renskav is sauteed reindeer with cream and mashed potatoes with a little bit of lingonberry. :)

Chuck58
12-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Well.......shows how much I know about reindeer and caribou. Helluva thing, considering I've hunted deer for over half a century and hunted and bagged one caribou years ago during a once in a lifteime dream trip to Alaska. That caribou, incidentally, acted very much like the one she got. I needed two shots, from about 150 yds.

In my defense (feeble as it might be), call them what they're called here. Saying Sarah Palin is shooting a reindeer is pure anti Palin propoganda. Saying she's shooting a caribou doesn't have the same effect.

Odysseus
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
LOL. I always thought that the abominable snowman should have gotten a little nibble before Yukon Cornelius knocked his teeth out.

I've never had smoked reindeer, but it sounds really good.

lol. somehow I really doubt it. Just watching that video makes me think more of Kate Goslin than Ted Nugent.
Well, Ted has longer hair...
Seriously, though, Palin Derangement Syndrome is not a conservative trait.
http://diversitylane.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/diversitylane_smokin_compassion_for-blog.jpg?

Molon Labe
12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, Ted has longer hair...

lol. Neither is being overly credulous for what amounts to a "personality".

djones520
12-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Correction, it's not a NEO-Conservative trait. Remember, thats all we are to them. People who spout off the popular rhetoric, but really not willing to go all the way.

asdf2231
12-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Correction, it's not a NEO-Conservative trait. Remember, thats all we are to them. People who spout off the popular rhetoric, but really not willing to go all the way.

Remember DJ, being libertarian means never having to say you won an election.

Loogie
12-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I saw that show.

Sarah's father stumbled down a small hill and the rifle was banged up.
When she was attempting the shot, she complained that the rounds were going high, I believe. Their family friend gave her his rifle and she was able to make the kill.

Later, she insisted that the scope was off. Her dad bet her $1 that is wasn't. They set up a target and her father repeatedly missed it. He lost the bet.

My wife and I have watched several of her shows, and I think she is the real deal. No, she isn't some sort of Rambo outdoorsman, but she is pretty comfortable and competent out there. More than most on this board, I suspect.

I can tell you that, after spending 10 days camping and hiking around Yellowstone, the wilderness is daunting--not for the faint of heart. I watched Palin's actions closely: she was relaxed. Not stupid "nothing can hurt me out here" relaxed, but confident relaxed.
She had no problem at all butchering her kill, hacking up fish, slogging over very rough terrain and through cold streams. She also hucked her own pack.

I would be curious to see how many of the sissy "I got bigger guns than you" boys on this board could keep up with her...? Melon Labia would probably get his butt kicked. :D

Jfor
12-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I saw that show.

Sarah's father stumbled down a small hill and the rifle was banged up.
When she was attempting the shot, she complained that the rounds were going high, I believe. Their family friend gave her his rifle and she was able to make the kill.

Later, she insisted that the scope was off. Her dad bet her $1 that is wasn't. They set up a target and her father repeatedly missed it. He lost the bet.

My wife and I have watched several of her shows, and I think she is the real deal. No, she isn't some sort of Rambo outdoorsman, but she is pretty comfortable and competent out there. More than most on this board, I suspect.

I can tell you that, after spending 10 days camping and hiking around Yellowstone, the wilderness is daunting--not for the faint of heart. I watched Palin's actions closely: she was relaxed. Not stupid "nothing can hurt me out here" relaxed, but confident relaxed.
She had no problem at all butchering her kill, hacking up fish, slogging over very rough terrain and through cold streams. She also hucked her own pack.

I would be curious to see how many of the sissy "I got bigger guns than you" boys on this board could keep up with her...? Melon Labia would probably get his butt kicked. :D

+1 and all that. Well said. What this shows, is that the OP's bias against Palin precluded him from watching the whole episode.

AmPat
12-12-2010, 06:48 PM

They are technically "Reinbou." Sheesh people.:rolleyes: