PDA

View Full Version : Julian Assange to be questioned by British police

hampshirebrit
12-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, is expected to appear in a UK court tomorrow after his lawyers said he would meet police to discuss a European extradition warrant from Sweden relating to alleged sexual assaults.

Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/06/wikileaks-julian-assange-police)

Bleda
12-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I didn't think it would be this easy, but ah well.

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Putting him behind bars for rape is not going to shut down wikileaks. . . .

djones520
12-06-2010, 07:21 PM

No, but him in prison is still a good thing.

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 07:22 PM
No, but him in prison is still a good thing.

I don't disagree - especially since if he's already in jail - they'll know where to find him when they charge him with espionage.

Rockntractor
12-06-2010, 07:26 PM

It would if he is the single driving force behind it.
I heard this morning on Quinn and Rose that he has a Soros connection.

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 07:27 PM
It would if he is the single driving force behind it.
I heard this morning on Quinn and Rose that he has a Soros connection.
I do not doubt that he does have a Soros connection - but he is not the sole driving force behind the site. He's farmed it all out.

Rockntractor
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I do not doubt that he does have a Soros connection - but he is not the sole driving force behind the site. He's farmed it all out.
Quinn think Obama will ride in on his white horse and save us from the evil Internet and that this is all a Soros plot.
I wish I had a link to text but the to segments he talked about it were pretty convincing, he backed it up with a lot of facts and connections. I'm going to listen to it closer tonight and see if I can find a link.

m00
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM

I actually read recently that it wasn't rape... it's a "sex crime."

What sex crime you ask? It's an obscure law in Sweden that makes it illegal to have sex without a condom. No, seriously. Will try to dig up a link if anyone is interested.

Rockntractor
12-06-2010, 08:35 PM

What sex crime you ask? It's an obscure law in Sweden that makes it illegal to have sex without a condom. No, seriously. Will try to dig up a link if anyone is interested.

Poli would have to be celibate there!

Adam Wood
12-06-2010, 11:49 PM

What sex crime you ask? It's an obscure law in Sweden that makes it illegal to have sex without a condom. No, seriously. Will try to dig up a link if anyone is interested.My understanding was that it was something more akin to what we in the US would call "sexual molestation:" not exactly rape, but not exactly happy times with sexual contact, either.

With more than a couple of accusations out there, I'm inclined to tilt into the "where there's smoke there's fire" belief, but intellectually, I will reserve judgment on the sex charges against him unless and until the facts of each individual case are known. I'm completely willing to accept that this could be a case of accusations running amok amongst people who either want to bring him down and/or see him as the jackpot on the litigation lottery.

All of that having been said, he has, as far as I'm concerned, committed acts of espionage against this country, and if there were any realistic hope of him getting extradited here, I would be just fine with seeing him as a punctuation on the Rosenbergs.

m00
12-07-2010, 12:13 AM
All of that having been said, he has, as far as I'm concerned, committed acts of espionage against this country, and if there were any realistic hope of him getting extradited here, I would be just fine with seeing him as a punctuation on the Rosenbergs.

When this whole thing started I was with you, in the sense I felt there was a judicial remedy. But the more this goes on, the more I think some very powerful people want to see him shut down by any means necessary (getting interpol involved with a sex case? really?) and that makes me start to wonder about who is very afraid of the next leak and why.

Remember when Obama took office talking about complete government transparency? If that's the case, why is this a problem? :p

Odysseus
12-07-2010, 03:20 AM

The old days of Swedish Erotica appear to have gone by the wayside...

When this whole thing started I was with you, in the sense I felt there was a judicial remedy. But the more this goes on, the more I think some very powerful people want to see him shut down by any means necessary (getting interpol involved with a sex case? really?) and that makes me start to wonder about who is very afraid of the next leak and why.

Remember when Obama took office talking about complete government transparency? If that's the case, why is this a problem? :p

It shouldn't be a problem. There's no reason not to indict him for espionage and request extradition. We have treaties with Britain and Sweden, so it's pretty much a no-brainer, unless Obama either sympathizes with Wikileaks (which kind of makes sense, when you consider his radicalism), or he's afraid that Assange has something really damaging to release (be funny if it were his birth certificate :D).