PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gifts...How lame is it...

Hawkgirl
12-06-2010, 08:51 PM
....to give Gift Cards this year??

I am really considering doing gift cards this year. Is it thoughtless? I was thinking of getting $100.00 gift cards to my parents, brother and his wife from their favorite department stores. I will include gifts from my daughter and probably pick up some other inexpensive items, so I have something to wrap and they have to open.

I LOVE getting gift cards because I can really purchase what I want.

Thumbs up or down :confused:

m00
12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I LOVE getting gift cards because I can really purchase what I want.

Actually, you can't. You can only purchase things at the specific store. Gift Cards are exactly like cash, except less useful.

Hawkgirl
12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Actually, you can't. You can only purchase things at the specific store. Gift Cards are exactly like cash, except less useful.

I would get them from where they normally shop..I know all of them well enough to know their favorite stores.

Rockntractor
12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
If you buy 100.00 worth of Outback gift cards they give you a 20.00 one free.

Gingersnap
12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I think ceremonial gift-giving has really changed over the past 10 years. Gifts don't seem to be about personal interests anymore because people don't know what other people's personal interests are anymore. Also, there's a lot less tolerance for receiving gifts that are thoughtful (at least for the giver) but useless to the recipient.

It's really become a point-exchange game more than anything else.

I think it's fine to give gift cards when you can't think of an unmet need or don't know a personal interest. I would enclose each card with a handwritten note (inside a card is fine) that is personal and does touch on the person's real relationship with you. ;)

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 09:18 PM
I would get them from where they normally shop..I know all of them well enough to know their favorite stores.

Visa does giftcards too. :) http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/visa_gift_card.html

PoliCon
12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I think ceremonial gift-giving has really changed over the past 10 years. Gifts don't seem to be about personal interests anymore because people don't know what other people's personal interests are anymore. Also, there's a lot less tolerance for receiving gifts that are thoughtful (at least for the giver) but useless to the recipient.

It's really become a point-exchange game more than anything else.

I think it's fine to give gift cards when you can't think of an unmet need or don't know a personal interest. I would enclose each card with a handwritten note (inside a card is fine) that is personal and does touch on the person's real relationship with you. ;)

Now see for us half the goal is bang for the buck. :) Gifts that have a high MSRP or perceived value but where you got a real deal are preferable to ones where you have payed full price. I mean I am part Jewish after all! :D