PDA

View Full Version : Pagan Prisoners Given Time Off For The Festival of the Lactating Sheep

megimoo
12-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Pagan Prisoners Given Time Off to Worship the Sun God

Hundreds of criminals are to be given four days a year off prison work - to celebrate pagan festivals.

Prison governors have been issued with a list of eight annual pagan holidays and told pagan inmates can choose four to celebrate.

The festivals include Imbolc - The Festival of the Lactating Sheep - which falls on February 1 and is dedicated to the goddess Brighid.

Another is the festival of Beltane, which falls in early May, devotees are urged to celebrate the Sun God with 'unabashed sexuality and promiscuity'.

The Yule festival involves pagans 'casting spells' and dressing up as ghosts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336181/Pagan-prisoners-given-time-worship-Sun-God.html

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-07-2010, 03:46 AM
"The First of February belongs to Brigid, (Brighid, Brigit, Bride,) the Celtic goddess who in later times became revered as a Christian saint. Originally, her festival on February 1 was known as Imbolc or Oimelc, two names which refer to the lactation of the ewes, the flow of milk that heralds the return of the life-giving forces of spring. Later, the Catholic Church replaced this festival with Candlemas Day on February 2, which is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and features candlelight processions. The powerful figure of Brigid the Light-Bringer overlights both pagan and Christian celebrations.
In most parts of the British Isles, February is a harsh and bitter month. In old Scotland, the month fell in the middle of the period known as Faoilleach, the Wolf-month; it was also known as a’ marbh mhiòs, the Dead-month. But although this season was so cold and drear, small but sturdy signs of new life began to appear: Lambs were born and soft rain brought new grass. Ravens begin to build their nests and larks were said to sing with a clearer voice.

In Ireland, the land was prepared to receive the new seed with spade and plough; calves were born, and fishermen looked eagerly for the end of winter storms and rough seas to launch their boats again. In Scotland, the Old Woman of winter, the Cailleach, is reborn as Bride, Young Maiden of Spring, fragile yet growing stronger each day as the sun rekindles its fire, turning scarcity into abundance. Of her, Alexander Carmichael wrote:

Bride with her white wand is said to breathe life into the mouth of the dead Winter and to bring him to open his eyes to the tears and the smiles, the sighs and the laughter of Spring. The venom of the cold is said to tremble for its safety on Bride’s Day, and to flee for its life on Patrick’s Day..''

Gingersnap
12-07-2010, 10:06 AM
I thought everybody got the Feast of the Lactating Sheep off. You people need to get in touch with your HR departments. :confused:

:p

PoliCon
12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
"The First of February belongs to Brigid, (Brighid, Brigit, Bride,) the Celtic goddess who in later times became revered as a Christian saint. Originally, her festival on February 1 was known as Imbolc or Oimelc, two names which refer to the lactation of the ewes, the flow of milk that heralds the return of the life-giving forces of spring. Later, the Catholic Church replaced this festival with Candlemas Day on February 2, which is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and features candlelight processions. The powerful figure of Brigid the Light-Bringer overlights both pagan and Christian celebrations.
In most parts of the British Isles, February is a harsh and bitter month. In old Scotland, the month fell in the middle of the period known as Faoilleach, the Wolf-month; it was also known as a’ marbh mhiòs, the Dead-month. But although this season was so cold and drear, small but sturdy signs of new life began to appear: Lambs were born and soft rain brought new grass. Ravens begin to build their nests and larks were said to sing with a clearer voice.

In Ireland, the land was prepared to receive the new seed with spade and plough; calves were born, and fishermen looked eagerly for the end of winter storms and rough seas to launch their boats again. In Scotland, the Old Woman of winter, the Cailleach, is reborn as Bride, Young Maiden of Spring, fragile yet growing stronger each day as the sun rekindles its fire, turning scarcity into abundance. Of her, Alexander Carmichael wrote:

Bride with her white wand is said to breathe life into the mouth of the dead Winter and to bring him to open his eyes to the tears and the smiles, the sighs and the laughter of Spring. The venom of the cold is said to tremble for its safety on Bride’s Day, and to flee for its life on Patrick’s Day..''

TOTAL BULLSHIT.

1 - St. Brigid is an historic person and not this deity even if they do have the same name.

2 - Candlemas has nothing to do with Mary. It is the feast of the Presentation of the Lord. It is when the candles used in the church through out the year are blessed - especially and specifically the Paschal candle and the Christmas candle.

3 - The Feast of the Presentation predates the conversion of Ireland to Christianity and was placed based on February Second based on the Hebrew calendar and on Jewish law and has nothing what ever to do with any pagan holiday.

It really pisses me off when people spout this kind of bullshit as if it were gospel truth forgetting that Christianity predates the evangelization of the British Isles and the culture and traditions of these people - doubly so when people who claim to be Christian do so. Sadly most protestant Christians are woefully ignorant of any history of Christianity that predates the reformation.

Articulate_Ape
12-07-2010, 11:04 AM
I thought everybody got the Feast of the Lactating Sheep off. You people need to get in touch with your HR departments. :confused:

:p

Baaa-aaa humbug.

megimoo
12-07-2010, 11:04 AM
TOTAL BULLSHIT.

1 - St. Brigid is an historic person and not this deity even if they do have the same name.

2 - Candlemas has nothing to do with Mary. It is the feast of the Presentation of the Lord. It is when the candles used in the church through out the year are blessed - especially and specifically the Paschal candle and the Christmas candle.

3 - The Feast of the Presentation predates the conversion of Ireland to Christianity and was placed based on February Second based on the Hebrew calendar and on Jewish law and has nothing what ever to do with any pagan holiday.

It really pisses me off when people spout this kind of bullshit as if it were gospel truth forgetting that Christianity predates the evangelization of the British Isles and the culture and traditions of these people - doubly so when people who claim to be Christian do so. Sadly most protestant Christians are woefully ignorant of any history of Christianity that predates the reformation.

Go suck on your crappy old Heinz catsup bottle you nasty old grump.You're the death of spring and the joy of new life .Get a grip you crabby old coot !

megimoo
12-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Candlemas, the Feast of the Purification of the Virgin, La Fête de la Chandeleur, and the Meeting of the Lord

PoliCon
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Baaa-aaa humbug.

:D

PoliCon
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Go suck on your crappy old Heinz catsup bottle you nasty old grump.You're the death of spring and the joy of new life .Get a grip you crabby old coot !

:rolleyes: You just hate it when people get corrected for offering false information don't ya. :rolleyes:

megimoo
12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
:rolleyes: You just hate it when people get corrected for offering false information don't ya. :rolleyes:You're just a nasty little man .Try to find some joy in that parody of a life that you live.

PoliCon
12-07-2010, 11:41 AM
You're just a nasty little man .Try to find some joy in that parody of a life that you live.

:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
12-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Let's keep the focus on lactating sheep, people. :cool:

noonwitch
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Let's keep the focus on lactating sheep, people. :cool:

Beltaine is the fun holiday, although I never partook when I practiced Wicca. According to all pagan fiction (Marion Zimmer Bradley, et al), it's all about drugs and orgies.

megimoo
12-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Beltaine is the fun holiday, although I never partook when I practiced Wicca. According to all pagan fiction (Marion Zimmer Bradley, et al), it's all about drugs and orgies.Are you into that action ?

noonwitch
12-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Are you into that action ?

Nope. I never joined a coven or anything like that. But that's what they allegedly do at Beltaine festivals.

Articulate_Ape
12-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Do you weigh the same as a duck, Noony?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
I've never seen the fun in mocking other people's religions, personally.

Articulate_Ape
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Boy are you ever missing out.

Rockntractor
12-07-2010, 06:16 PM
You're just a nasty little man .Try to find some joy in that parody of a life that you live.
You would be nasty too if you lived your life in a crowded city with your nose right at butt level!

megimoo
12-07-2010, 06:56 PM
You would be nasty too if you lived your life in a crowded city with your nose right at butt level!And all of those big people patting him on the head .

noonwitch
12-08-2010, 09:22 AM

I don't practice wicca anymore. It was a rebellion thing, and a feminist thing for me. I realized I missed Jesus.