PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Wednesday!

Gingersnap
12-08-2010, 09:54 AM
It should be very nice today but we'll slide down later in the week.

TOTD: When do you put up your Christmas tree? When do you take it down? Do you prefer real or fake? Size? Color (if fake)? Prelit or not? :D

Hawkgirl
12-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I've had every kind of tree, real and fake, from the fakes, I've had green with white lights, white with white lights and green with multi colored lights, which is what I have now.

I usually put my tree up the day after Thanksgiving, but since I wasn't home, it through off my routine and I still haven't put the tree up...but did start decorating the house.
Saturday, I will have a few people over and the tree will go up, followed by a Santa Clause appearance at a nearby town center which will feature SNOW...in SouthFlorida.

I do prefer the real since I love the scent of pine...but unless they will be sold within a 5 minute drive, I will just go with the fake. With a toddler, getting out of the house is a chore in itself.

Rockntractor
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I will install Christmas tree background on computer today.
One of my goats had two babies this morning, I can't imagine being born soaking wet when it's 24 degrees outside. All three of them are doing well so far.

linda22003
12-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Fake; it goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving. Decorating can take some time. I also have a tabletop tree in another room for tiny ornaments.
The main tree is just a six footer now; I got ahead of myself and got a nine footer, then discovered I really don't like being up on a ladder to decorate it (and don't like smashing expensive ornaments into fragments when they drop from a great height).
I gave the nine footer to friends in the State Department, and it's living an exotic life as the embassy tree in a faraway land now. :p

Gingersnap
12-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Fake; it goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving. Decorating can take some time. I also have a tabletop tree in another room for tiny ornaments.
The main tree is just a six footer now; I got ahead of myself and got a nine footer, then discovered I really don't like being up on a ladder to decorate it (and don't like smashing expensive ornaments into fragments when they drop from a great height).
I gave the nine footer to friends in the State Department, and it's living an exotic life as the embassy tree in a faraway land now. :p

I wish I could do that with our huge tree. I hate that ladder action. Sure, it's an impressive-looking tree when it's done and fits well in the space but it too huge for my tastes. I figure that I have to live with it for 2 more years before I can mount a reasonable argument for replacing it with a smaller tree that is prelit. :(

linda22003
12-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I wish I could do that with our huge tree. I hate that ladder action. Sure, it's an impressive-looking tree when it's done and fits well in the space but it too huge for my tastes. I figure that I have to live with it for 2 more years before I can mount a reasonable argument for replacing it with a smaller tree that is prelit. :(

I "inherited" our six footer from a friend's mother who is elderly and didn't want to bother with a tree any more. She used it for several years so it's a little the worse for wear, but when it's filled with lights and ornaments it looks just fine. I think I could handle a 7.5' tree without too much trauma, though.

movie buff
12-08-2010, 12:05 PM
TOTD: My family has always used fake trees. Easier to get in Florida than real trees, reusable, and no pine mess to clean up.
We put it up at least a couple weeks before Christmas, and usually don't take it down until well into January.

noonwitch
12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
It's cold and snowy, here.

TOTD: I put my tree up on Sunday. It's fake. I take it down usually on New Year's Day, or within a few days of it.

PoliCon
12-08-2010, 03:05 PM
TOTD: Tree goes up Christmas eve and comes down day after Orthdox Christmas.

jendf
12-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm hosting my first Christmas at my house this year so I bought my first tree. I had a hard time finding an artificial tree that wasn't pre-lit. Part of my family's Christmas tree trimming routine growing up always included putting on the lights ourselves. I wanted to continue that tradition.

I finally found a 6 ft. Canadian Fir, unlit thank you very much, and I put it up the day after Thanksgiving. My mom, sister, and nephews came over and helped decorate it. Every time I walk past it, I can't help but smile.

I finally got some presents wrapped last night and now the tree looks complete.

I'm so excited for Christmas!

PoliCon
12-08-2010, 03:41 PM
About how many lights do you guys put on your tree? and what color?

Hawkgirl
12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I have a pre lit christmas tree with multi-colors that my mom gave me.
I prefer the white lights...but I grew up with the colors and I think young children like my daughter will appreciate the different colors more.

I love saving the extra step with the pre lit trees.

Rockntractor
12-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I put mine up on my business laptop, I still need to decorate the other two.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Christmas20Tree20Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg?t=1291851530

djones520
12-08-2010, 06:43 PM
TOTD: The day after Thanksgiving, fake, and usually a few days after New Years.

Gingersnap
12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
About how many lights do you guys put on your tree? and what color?

I have no idea but it's a lot of lights. We have the programmable kind and they are all different colors.

PoliCon
12-08-2010, 11:13 PM
I have no idea but it's a lot of lights. We have the programmable kind and they are all different colors.

We generally put between 3 and 5 thousand lights on our 6.5' tree and I prefer all white. I wanna get an idea how excessive I am with the lights! :D

Kay
12-08-2010, 11:29 PM
In Rock's picture - those two creepy little gnome guys sitting half way up
remind me of the kitchen scene in The Brood when the little people were
hiding up around the cabinet tops and then pounced with the meat mallot.

Rockntractor
12-08-2010, 11:30 PM
In Rock's picture - those two creepy little gnome guys sitting half way up
remind me of the kitchen scene in The Brood when the little people were
hiding up around the cabinet tops and then pounced with the meat mallot.

I might have to change my decorating.:eek:

linda22003
12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
We generally put between 3 and 5 thousand lights on our 6.5' tree and I prefer all white. I wanna get an idea how excessive I am with the lights! :D

If the ornaments on the tree can only be seen in silhouette, you have been excessive with the lights.

PoliCon
12-09-2010, 01:55 PM
If the ornaments on the tree can only be seen in silhouette, you have been excessive with the lights.

No they can be seen :p and they sparkle all the more for the lighting :D