PDA

View Full Version : Annie award nominee wants to change business

djones520
12-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Stinky The Clown (1000+ posts) Wed Dec-08-10 11:36 AM
Original message
"Small Business" A cruel joke.
When we hear the term "small business" most of us conjure up the image of a mom and pop pop stand. Or a lawn service operated by one guy with a trailer and a few power mowers. Or maybe a dental practice. How about a home cleaning service.

We get a picture of hard working individuals going it alone and making a modest living being their own boss.

And, to be sure, that's the picture of many "small" businesses.

But did you know that a car dealer is a small business? The owner is quite often the richest guy in town. How about that beer distributor? If the car dealer isn't the richest guy, then the beer guy is. Those businesses are worth a great deal of money.

Going up the ladder, you've heard of KKR, right? And Berkshire Hathaway. Yup. Small businesses. Multibillion dollar small businesses.

It seems to me it is time to redefine a small business. Let's keep it the province of the people in the first paragraph, above. The car dealer and the beer guy don't need any sort of protection. In fact, they need to be taxed until their eyes bleed. And let their kids earn the status. Or at least pay back a society that made their inheritance possible.

I can't believe we're about to pass a law that allows these "small" businesses to avoid tax on the first five million dollars of their estates and then to pay no more than 35% on the rest. Meanwhile, small businesses like mine are struggling to stay alive in a economy where no one is buying anything but groceries and gas.

Oh ..... and that mom and pop single station gas station owner? He's dying, too. His "small" business really is small. He makes diddly squat on each gallon sold, no matter how high the price you and I pay. If he doesn't make it in the service bays, he's pretty much done, too. Hard work and greasy knuckles is what keeps him going.

Angry Dragon (1000+ posts) Wed Dec-08-10 11:46 AM
Response to Original message
1. I have called and called around to congress
to get an answer to how many small businesses this tax thing will affect and no one, NO ONE has the answer
It is just lies, smoke and mirrors on the republican side and no one calls them on it

Do not forget rush, beck, hannity, palin and all those others that rack in millions that are not small businesses but will ride the coat tails of this garbage spewed out there

Actually Beck is. He runs his own media company, has about 12 employees.

kestrel91316 (1000+ posts) Wed Dec-08-10 12:03 PM
3. My vet practice, like most others in the US, qualifies as a microbusiness, lol.
And i see little evidence that RW policies do anything but harm me and MY CLIENT BASE.

And what evidence is that?

HuckleB (1000+ posts) Wed Dec-08-10 12:05 PM
4. Not only that, but the tax issue with "small businesses" is big.
Many family-owned businesses get away with purchasing almost everything on the business, thus saving huge on taxes. I don't see how that should be tolerated, and yet no one has talked about stopping such practices.

In other words "Fuck those people who aren't as lazy as I am!"

MedicalAdmin (783 posts) Wed Dec-08-10 01:09 PM
Response to Reply #4
13. I am not saying you are FOS, but...
I have not seen this and I own and run a microbusiness.

It's ok, just tell him he's full of shit. Cause he is.

http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9723496

Bailey
12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
It seems to me it is time to redefine a small business. Let's keep it the province of the people in the first paragraph, above. The car dealer and the beer guy don't need any sort of protection. In fact, they need to be taxed until their eyes bleed. And let their kids earn the status. Or at least pay back a society that made their inheritance possible

I get a kick out of that paragraph, in one breath he wants to TAX them till their eyes bleed and then their kids have to payback the society that "made their parents eyes bleed" WTF why dont you fucking steal all their money and make them say thank you for doing it?

Apache
12-08-2010, 05:49 PM
It seems to me it is time to redefine a small business. Let's keep it the province of the people in the first paragraph, above. The car dealer and the beer guy don't need any sort of protection. In fact, they need to be taxed until their eyes bleed. And let their kids earn the status. Or at least pay back a society that made their inheritance possible

I get a kick out of that paragraph, in one breath he wants to TAX them till their eyes bleed and then their kids have to payback the society that "made their parents eyes bleed" WTF why dont you fucking steal all their money and make them say thank you for doing it?

Knee-jerk reaction with them...

It all sounds good :rolleyes:

franksolich
12-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Revenue is down for the sparkling husband primitive's "consulting" business, because everybody's buying groceries and gasoline in this lousy 0bamoconomy.

It's however not stopping the sparkling husband primitive from enjoying la dolce vita, the good life.

NJCardFan
12-13-2010, 12:11 AM

Hey, no stealing lines from Walter Williams.I remember him saying something similar.

MoshMasterD
12-13-2010, 03:33 AM
Stinky The Clown (1000+ posts) Wed Dec-08-10 11:36 AM
Original message
"Small Business" A cruel joke.
When we hear the term "small business" most of us conjure up the image of a mom and pop pop stand. Or a lawn service operated by one guy with a trailer and a few power mowers. Or maybe a dental practice. How about a home cleaning service.

We get a picture of hard working individuals going it alone and making a modest living being their own boss.

And, to be sure, that's the picture of many "small" businesses.

But did you know that a car dealer is a small business? The owner is quite often the richest guy in town. How about that beer distributor? If the car dealer isn't the richest guy, then the beer guy is. Those businesses are worth a great deal of money.

Going up the ladder, you've heard of KKR, right? And Berkshire Hathaway. Yup. Small businesses. Multibillion dollar small businesses.

It seems to me it is time to redefine a small business. Let's keep it the province of the people in the first paragraph, above. The car dealer and the beer guy don't need any sort of protection. In fact, they need to be taxed until their eyes bleed. And let their kids earn the status. Or at least pay back a society that made their inheritance possible.

I can't believe we're about to pass a law that allows these "small" businesses to avoid tax on the first five million dollars of their estates and then to pay no more than 35% on the rest. Meanwhile, small businesses like mine are struggling to stay alive in a economy where no one is buying anything but groceries and gas.

Oh ..... and that mom and pop single station gas station owner? He's dying, too. His "small" business really is small. He makes diddly squat on each gallon sold, no matter how high the price you and I pay. If he doesn't make it in the service bays, he's pretty much done, too. Hard work and greasy knuckles is what keeps him going.

His heart attack- a cruel joke!

m00
12-13-2010, 10:31 PM
. Meanwhile, small businesses like mine are struggling to stay alive in a economy where no one is buying anything but groceries and gas.

What, the panhandling business? Seriously though, I didnt know STC was a small business owner.