PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Thursday

Articulate_Ape
12-09-2010, 01:03 AM
A balmy 26F where I'm sitting, which proves that the globe warms in mysterious ways.

TOTD: What is the coldest or harshest weather you have been out and about in?

Me? It was a New England winter night in the late 1980's. It was -40F and so cold that propane nearly stopped vaporizing in above ground tanks. Being out in that was like a moonwalk to me. The only sound I could hear was the crunching of my boots in snow that seemed like Styrofoam.

But at least it wasn't this (http://godheadv.blogspot.com/2010/04/abandoned-on-everest.html).

lacarnut
12-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Supposed to get down to 28 in Bayou Country. BRRRR

TOTD: I was in the Army in Germany pulling /spotting targets at the rifle range. Standing in a concrete bunker with ice floating on top of a couple of inches of water. Got back to the barracks and was told my early release to go back to college was granted. Forgot all about being cold.

Kay
12-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I spent a day riding snow mobiles through Yellowstone one January.
It was - 4 degrees. I think that's the coldest I've ever been, but some
of the most fun I've ever had.

Teddy Kennedy
12-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Well above the arctic circle when I was in the Navy. It was brutal, we couldn't get the internal temperature of the ship above 43 degrees, all weather decks were secured, the ship was rolling too much for the cooks to serve hot food.

Gingersnap
12-09-2010, 10:12 AM
A balmy 26F where I'm sitting, which proves that the globe warms in mysterious ways.

TOTD: What is the coldest or harshest weather you have been out and about in?

Me? It was a New England winter night in the late 1980's. It was -40F and so cold that propane nearly stopped vaporizing in above ground tanks. Being out in that was like a moonwalk to me. The only sound I could hear was the crunching of my boots in snow that seemed like Styrofoam.

But at least it wasn't this (http://godheadv.blogspot.com/2010/04/abandoned-on-everest.html).

I'm familiar with a lot of those Everest stories. Climbing is a very popular sport out here and a lot of people follow the Everest climbing season very closely. I can't even imagine doing something like that myself.

I don't know what the coldest weather I've been in was exactly but certainly in the -15 F range more than once. The worst cold weather phenomena has been whiteouts. :(

jendf
12-09-2010, 10:36 AM
New York City...with the wind chill it got to 15 degrees. That was pretty cold for this native Arizonan. I've been there twice (both times in late December/early January) and both times I was very happy to return to balmy AZ.

I imagine in places like Montana and North Dakota or anywhere up in that area where it gets into the negative numbers, I would die from whining too much. :D

I'm a spoiled native Phoenician.

noonwitch
12-09-2010, 11:13 AM
It's cold and sunny today, and not expected to get above freezing. Wimpy people here are moaning about it.

TOTD: I don't remember whether it was 1999 or 2000, but we had one really cold winter right around there. We had a major blizzard hit right after New Year's and it dumped 25 inches of snow on Detroit in a day. Then, after we dug out, it was bitterly cold to the point where salt doesn't work on the roads (but they still put it down), and ends up evaporating enough to make the air hazy over the roads.

I still lived in the city at the time. If my uncle hadn't come to dig me up with his truck, I would have been stuck for days.

Gingersnap
12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
It's cold and sunny today, and not expected to get above freezing. Wimpy people here are moaning about it.

TOTD: I don't remember whether it was 1999 or 2000, but we had one really cold winter right around there. We had a major blizzard hit right after New Year's and it dumped 25 inches of snow on Detroit in a day. Then, after we dug out, it was bitterly cold to the point where salt doesn't work on the roads (but they still put it down), and ends up evaporating enough to make the air hazy over the roads.

I still lived in the city at the time. If my uncle hadn't come to dig me up with his truck, I would have been stuck for days.

We've been snowed in. It's not that much of a bother for us. The last time was a couple of years ago and we just borrowed the neighbor's snowmobile to run errands. We could also ski to some places.

Rockntractor
12-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Growing up in Minnesota I remember minus 30 many times, minus 40 maybe once more likely 38.
The last winter I lived there we had over 30 consecutive days below zero. I remember walking the three miles to work for 3M company and having the soles of my boots shatter, it wasn't the only time that had happened to me, you had to be careful what kind of boots you bought. I was so tired of the cold I moved to Tulsa that January.

Bubba Dawg
12-09-2010, 09:19 PM
The coldest I've been in is temps right at zero. I don't think it dropped into the negative numbers. The wind chill was brutal. We lived in an old house that had really inadequate heat and no insulation. We brought all the yard dogs in the house.

Damn it was cold.