PDA

View Full Version : "Christmas Wreaths to be Laid for Fallen Soldiers"

megimoo
12-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Wreaths to be Laid for Fallen Soldiers

LAS ANIMAS In life, U.S. military veterans honored their country.

In death, an annual holiday tradition continues to honor them one Christmas wreath at a time.

The Fort Lyon National Cemetery will hold its annual Wreaths Across America ceremony Saturday at 10 a.m.

This year more than 150 wreaths will be placed on the graves of fallen soldiers at Fort Lyon.

Wreaths Across America was formed as an extension of the Arlington Wreath Project, begun in 1992 by Morrill Worcester when he donated 5,000 wreaths for fallen soldiers graves.

Since then, the program has spread to more than 300 locations across the country including Fort Lyon.
snip
"I wanted to find a way to remember my husband Richard (Van Egmond), who died in 2005. He served in the Navy from 1962 to 1967," Van Egmond said.

"My daughter-in-law found this Wreaths Across America and so we looked into participating in it."

According to the Wreaths Across America website, the program was relatively obscure until 2005 when a photo of the stones adorned with wreaths and covered in snow circulated around the Internet.

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/article_143e019e-0360-11e0-b630-001cc4c03286.html

Comments:
I do this in Canton, Ga. We have 4400 graves to do this year. Looks so amazing when it done.