PDA

View Full Version : Ikea gives bicycles to its workers

Gingersnap
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Ikea gives bicycles to its workers

By Alan J. Heavens

There was an early holiday present for 12,400 Ikea employees in the United States Tuesday morning.

Bicycles for all.

The brand was not disclosed, nor the cost - after all, it is a gift - but the bicycles were made specifically for Ikea employees, to thank them for "great results and great team work," said company spokeswoman Mona Liss.

"It has been a good year for Ikea US (and Ikea Global as well)," Liss wrote in an e-mail. Ikea's U.S. headquarters is in Conshohocken.

Giving employees bicycles also "supports a healthy lifestyle and everyday sustainable transport," she said.

The silver bikes have a yellow, white and blue stripe, and are all-terrain and unisex.

They don't have the Ikea logo, however, because "we don't want people to think we manufacture bicycles," Liss said.

Employee - Ikea calls them "coworkers" - Luz J. Morales of Philadelphia called the gift "completely unexpected."

Coworkers with whom Morales talked were also taken by surprise by the bicycle.

"It's such a cool gift, and ties in with our tagline of being 'the life-improvement store,' " said Morales, who plans to use it for recreation primarily, riding it in Valley Green and even taking it to Kelly Drive.

Morales wasn't a biker before, "but I am now."

For anyone who owns something Ikea, the answer to the obvious question - is assembly required? - is, "Yes."

Very, very cool. :)

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/business/111509344.html#ixzz17dNTRYiz
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

jendf
12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Nice!

I'm glad IKEA is a little bit of a drive from where I live (about 30-40 minutes). If it was closer, I would probably be there every day. I love IKEA.

PoliCon
12-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Taint NO BODY employed by Ikea in Pittsburgh riding a bike to work no how. There is not one single safe approach by bike and I'm sure most of their employees live too far away to ride there anyhow.

Madisonian
12-09-2010, 07:10 PM
And they are already starting to show up on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Special-Edition-IKEA-Bicycle-RARE-/390270392951?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item5added9a77)

$147 with 10 bids.

Who said capitalism is dead?:p

Rockntractor
12-09-2010, 07:17 PM
This is what we need, more bicycles competing with 2000 pound plus vehicles for the road!

Bubba Dawg
12-09-2010, 08:18 PM
And they are already starting to show up on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Special-Edition-IKEA-Bicycle-RARE-/390270392951?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item5added9a77)

$147 with 10 bids.

Wow. They just got 'em and alredy they're peddling them on eBay.

Not sentimental at all.

Rockntractor
12-09-2010, 08:20 PM
They need to make a retractable pole that swings out beside your truck!:mad:

hampshirebrit
12-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow. They just got 'em and alredy they're peddling them on eBay.

Not sentimental at all.

Not at all. I've done that with more than a few corporate gifts in the past.

If I don't want or already have a bicycle, then it's on ebay the same day. It's still a gift.

Actually, I'd hang onto this one for a few years. In 2020, the 2010 Ikea Xmas Bike will be worth a lot more than $147, especially if it's in original packaging.

Rockntractor
12-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Not at all. I've done that with more than few corporate gifts in the past.

If I don't want or already have a bicycle, then it's on ebay the same day. It's still a gift.

Actually, I'd hang onto this one for a few years. In 2020, the 2010 Ikea Xmas Bike will be worth a lot more than $147, especially if it's in original packaging.

Not if my bike whacking pole gets it first!:cool:

Gingersnap
12-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Not at all. I've done that with more than few corporate gifts in the past.

I think this is great! What is a bonus? It's a gift of some kind of value. This bike will be used for transport or recreation by some employees, it will be re-gifted by others, and it will be sold by others.

No matter how you look at it, there's value here. It's a lot better in terms of employee satisfaction than a donation in the employee's name to a corporate charity or a fruit basket or something.

Bubba Dawg
12-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Not at all. I've done that with more than a few corporate gifts in the past.

True.

And of course peddling a bicycle is good exercise wherever you may be selling it.

Madisonian
12-10-2010, 05:45 PM
$202.50 and now a second one showing up.

Hey, I don't blame them by any means. A bicycle where I live is as useful as a democrat.

hampshirebrit
12-10-2010, 09:26 PM
True.

And of course peddling a bicycle is good exercise wherever you may be selling it.

There is a big difference between peddling and pedalling a bicycle.

RobJohnson
12-11-2010, 01:44 AM

$147 with 10 bids.

If employees have to assemble themselves, it will never get done...:D

RobJohnson
12-11-2010, 01:45 AM
It's not a gift if you get a 1099........