PDA

View Full Version : Lieberman, Democrats headed for an ugly divorce

megimoo
08-24-2008, 12:52 PM
WASHINGTON -- Get ready for an ugly divorce.

More than 53,000 "Liberal Critters" have signed the "Lieberman Must Go" petition that calls on Senate Democrats to remove Lieberman from his chairmanship

Joe Lieberman and the Democratic Party are headed for splitsville -- irreconcilably divided over who should lead the nation in this time of war.Bank on it.

Truth be told, it has been a marriage of convenience for the past two years -- ever since Connecticut Democrats turned away from Lieberman and his support for President Bush's Iraq war policies.

Senate Democrats welcomed Lieberman back in their caucus -- happy to gain a 51-49 majority, but uneasy with his militant foreign policy.

They swallowed hard when Lieberman endorsed Republican John McCain for president; steamed as Lieberman attached himself to McCain's hip on the campaign trail; and boiled when Lieberman launched assaults at their own candidate, Barack Obama.

But the latest news -- Lieberman's announcement Wednesday that he will kick off the Republican National Convention -- has them ready to burst.

He'll stand there and tell the nation to elect a Republican president.

"I only wish that impeachment existed for senators," complained California filmmaker and political activist Robert Greenwald, who launched an Internet petition drive to strip Lieberman of the chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

http://www.newstimes.com/ci_10288494

Cold Warrior
08-24-2008, 01:42 PM
This is not a knock on Joe (he's my Senator), but his remaining public future depends on a McCain presidency. The Dims will have a stronger majority in the Senate after these elections, and therefore not be dependent on Lieberman in any way. They'll strip him of all appointed power he has. He'll be completely excluded from Dim bargaining and trading and completely dependent on the minority R's.

The same scenario will occur in the Senate even if McCain is elected, but he'll be appointed to a Cabinet position, probably State. He'll consider that a fitting end to a long career.

megimoo
08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
This is not a knock on Joe (he's my Senator), but his remaining public future depends on a McCain presidency. The Dims will have a stronger majority in the Senate after these elections, and therefore not be dependent on Lieberman in any way. They'll strip him of all appointed power he has. He'll be completely excluded from Dim bargaining and trading and completely dependent on the minority R's.

The same scenario will occur in the Senate even if McCain is elected, but he'll be appointed to a Cabinet position, probably State. He'll consider that a fitting end to a long career.
He's the last of the old time honorable WW2 style Democrats.Zell Miller was also and he gave up on the party just like Joe Lieberman will do eventually.The Democrat party has lost its way and soul .There isn't any honor or patriotism in today's liberal/Maoist/democrat !

Bubba Dawg
08-24-2008, 02:40 PM
He's the last of the old time honorable WW2 style Democrats.Zell Miller was also and he gave up on the party just like Joe Lieberman will do eventually.The Democrat party has lost its way and soul .There isn't any honor or patriotism in today's liberal/Maoist/democrat !

Well said. The old I didn't leave the Democratic Party, the Democrtic Party left me is actuallly true. I was a lifelong Democrat until this primary season and finally just couldn't stomach it anymore. I also don't think the Blue Dogs can turn it around.

Eyelids
08-24-2008, 02:49 PM

Honorable in that they turned on their own party to gain more attention?

gator
08-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Lieberman is a Liberal shit that belongs in the Democrat Party. I mean he was their VP pick for goodness sake and he has the record of voting the Liberal side on almost everything. For instance, he voted to raise taxes and to impose restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms. He gets everything wrong.

I will give you three guesses why he supports the Bush/ McCain NeoCon perpetual war position, which is really the only issue where he differs from his fellow Left Wingers. The first two guesses don't count.