Zafod
12-10-2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1944468

jendf
12-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I was on board with it until he had to walk on the metal beam. :o

hampshirebrit
12-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey, make a movie of it like the muppet did. If you're really willing to put your full confidence that there will be no structural failure on what appears to be very degraded infrastructure when it comes to your turn, then we would love to see it posted on CU.

Most solid state digital media will easily survive a 500 ft drop, so no problem there.

Zafod
12-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey, make a movie of it like the muppet did. If you're really willing to put your full confidence that there will be no structural failure on what appears to be very degraded infrastructure when it comes to your turn, then we would love to see it posted on CU.

Most solid state digital media will easily survive a 500 ft drop, so no problem there.

lol as long as I had a good supply of rope, a hammer and chocks I would do it in a heart beat!

hampshirebrit
12-10-2010, 02:20 PM
lol as long as I had a good supply of rope, a hammer and chocks I would do it in a heart beat!

Yeah, me too. It was a good location.

I have to confess to a fear of heights, which I have worked on to deal with (7 high-drop bungee jumps and some rock climbing, among other "treatments"), but I really would not do anything like that without using the proper safety equipment. It looked way too unsafe to me.

Actually I get more freaked out by heights when I see other people dicking around near long drops without any thought for their own safety than I do for myself.

Teddy Kennedy
12-10-2010, 02:40 PM
I wasn't afraid of heights until watching that.

Articulate_Ape
12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I cringe every time I watch that video. This one too. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcgk4E19Us

hampshirebrit
12-10-2010, 03:21 PM

I'd do that rather than the first one. The bridge was rickety but there seemed to be enough wires to at least give it some stability and advance warning of trouble.

The first one (Zaf's), there were a couple of points looking at it where it caused a rather unpleasant sensation in a particular part of my anatomy... a bizarre but very real reaction I get with heights. :o:D

Zafod
12-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd do that rather than the first one. The bridge was rickety but there seemed to be enough wires to at least give it some stability and advance warning of trouble.

The first one (Zaf's), there were a couple of points looking at it where it caused a rather unpleasant sensation in a particular part of my anatomy... a bizarre but very real reaction I get with heights. :o:D

are you refering to the "pucker" ?

did you have a turtle head poking out?

Zafod
12-10-2010, 04:27 PM

I cant watch youtube at work. where is this one?

Zafod
12-10-2010, 04:30 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3244034/walking_on_the_wild_side_huashan_plank_path/

hampshirebrit
12-10-2010, 05:01 PM
are you refering to the "pucker" ?

did you have a turtle head poking out?

No, not at all. Since you ask, it's more along the lines of a feeling akin to a very sudden contraction of the scrotum, allied to its seeming wish to retract altogether.

Like I said, not a comfortable sensation, at all. I think it's a normal fear reaction.

The normal fear reaction draws blood away from the extremities to the body core, so it sort of makes sense.

If I fell from the bridge, or whatever, depending on the amount of time I had available before death, I'm sure a turtle head or worse would occur. That's terror, not fear. Again, a normal reaction.

Teddy Kennedy
12-10-2010, 05:29 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3244034/walking_on_the_wild_side_huashan_plank_path/

That one I could do. No way on Camino del Rey.

hampshirebrit
12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
That one I could do. No way on Camino del Rey.

Yep, looks good to me. That I would really like to do.

MountainMan
12-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Holy shit...They found the path thru Mordor.... :eek:

Anybody else notice that all those metal beams he was walking on were old railroad tracks?

RobJohnson
12-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Yeah, me too. It was a good location.

I have to confess to a fear of heights, which I have worked on to deal with (7 high-drop bungee jumps and some rock climbing, among other "treatments"), but I really would not do anything like that without using the proper safety equipment. It looked way too unsafe to me.

Actually I get more freaked out by heights when I see other people dicking around near long drops without any thought for their own safety than I do for myself.

I agree with all of that, while working for ALCOA Davenport Works I was on the fall prevention team, it was amazing how quickly production was put in front of safety..guys standing over open pits, hoisting up thick pieces of aluminum without being tied off on a slick floor....

In Las Vegas they were sending "guest workers" to crawl up a crane boom to oil it, while it was operating...this was during the City center project...something like 8 fatalities in less then a year...OSHA finally set up an office on site it was so bad...I'm used to lock out/tag out, confined space permits & tie offs...these guys were like monkeys falling from trees. If they did live, they would sneak out of the hospital at night to avoid being deported, sticking the taxpayers with the hospital bill...

Then as most here know, my father was killed just falling off the second or third step of a ladder..waxing his RV...something went wrong with the ladder...he landed wrong, and his life was over...it took a long time for the nightmares to go away.

RobJohnson
12-11-2010, 03:36 AM
I don't have a fear of heights, just a fear of falling- Rob Johnson