PDA

View Full Version : Outrage as vandals strike at ancient Christian shrine site

PoliCon
12-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Vandals have ravaged one of the most celebrated Christian pilgrimage sites in Britain by chopping the branches off Glastonbury's Holy Thorn.

The gnarled and windblown specimen is one of a handful of Christmas-flowering thorns in the town, which legend says are descended from the tree that sprouted from the staff that Joseph of Arimathea planted on Wearyall Hill.

The Wearyall Thorn is the most famous and visually prominent of them all, but yesterday the town woke to find it had all but vanished and just a 6ft stump remained.

Many townsfolk were left in tears when the news spread yesterday morning, just a day after a sprig from another of Glastonbury's holy thorns was cut and sent to the Queen for her Christmas table in a ceremony in which local schoolchildren have taken part for generations.

Katherine Gorbing, the director of Glastonbury Abbey, said: "Like the whole town, we are shocked and appalled at this terrible act of vandalism.

"This is the most important tree in Glastonbury and is of exceptional spiritual significance. Thousands of people come to Glastonbury to visit the abbey, the tor and follow in the footsteps of pilgrims, climbing Wearyall Hill to see the Holy Thorn."

Christian legend dictates that Joseph of Arimathea, reputed to be Jesus's great uncle, came to Britain after the crucifixion with the Holy Grail the cup used by Christ at the Last Supper. It is claimed he visited Glastonbury and thrust his staff into Wearyall Hill below the Tor, planting a seed for the original tree.

Oliver Cromwell's Roundheads felled the tree during the English Civil War, when Parliament waged a fierce battle against the Crown.

However, locals salvaged the roots of the original tree, hiding it in secret locations around Glastonbury.

It was then replanted on the hill in 1951. Other cuttings were also grown and placed around the town including its famous abbey.

Glastonbury mayor John Coles rushed to the tree site yesterday after he heard the news.

Mr Coles, 66, said: ''I'm stood on Wearyall Hill looking at a sad, sad, sight. The tree has been chopped down someone has taken a saw to it.

"Some of the main trunk is there but the branches have been sawn away.

"I am absolutely lost for words I just do not know why people would want to do this. This tree was visited by thousands of people each year and is one of the most important Christian sites.

"It is known all over the world."

Deputy mayor William Knight, 63, added: ''This is absolutely mindless. We are all devastated."

Experts had verified that the tree of the species Crategus Monogyna Bi Flora originated from the Middle East. They can grow to a height of 6m (20ft).

An Avon and Somerset Police spokesman said: "We believe this is known as the Holy Thorn and a tree important to the community. Damage to the tree will be upsetting to a lot of people in the town."

The tree is also loved by followers of other faiths, including Paganism, and is often festooned with ribbons.
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/article-2992448-detail/article.html

Kay
12-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Karma will catch up to the scumwad that did this.
It will suck to be them.

And I bet that the tree will grow back in no time.
After this pruning I bet it comes back tenfold.
It will be God's way of showing that He lives on,
depite those who try to erase Him.

NJCardFan
12-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm waiting for the stories of Christian riots and death threats over this.

djones520
12-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm waiting for the stories of Christian riots and death threats over this.

Their busy in London right now. :p

Kay
12-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah, just imagine if it had been a muslim shrine.
Riots would have broken out on a global scale.

linda22003
12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, if it was cut down in Cromwell's time and regenerated, it can again. Not a cool thing to do, but not something that can't be recovered.

NJCardFan
12-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, if it was cut down in Cromwell's time and regenerated, it can again. Not a cool thing to do, but not something that can't be recovered.

Wow. Point missed by a wide margin. Why is it that the desecration of a Christian site is not a big deal? If this were a Muslim site, there would be suicide bombs all over London.

linda22003
12-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Wow. Point missed by a wide margin. Why is it that the desecration of a Christian site is not a big deal? If this were a Muslim site, there would be suicide bombs all over London.

I didn't miss the point; I was making another one, that it CAN be restored.

Articulate_Ape
12-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I read about this yesterday. While I am not one to give credence to religious sites or icons, that is me; I think that to show such malicious disregard for things that others count as important is despicable. I can't imagine what such people are thinking when they do this sort of thing.