PDA

View Full Version : New research suggests viruses could be the cause of the obesity epidemic

PoliCon
12-13-2010, 01:19 AM
* By Brian Williams
* December 13, 2010 7:42AM

THE obesity epidemic seen in humans and their pets may be caused by more than rubbish diets and lack of exercise.

Some scientists think it may be due to a combination of issues, including viruses or something else that affects cells or organs.

This is opposed to the commonly held belief based on poor Western lifestyles that feature over-eating, little exercise and fatty foods.

Scientists' curiosity was triggered when they noticed laboratory rats and mice on strict diets had put on weight just as domestic pets and feral animals living around humans had.

They looked at more than 20,000 animals from 24 populations of eight species living in or around industrialised societies.

Scientists from nine research centres across the world found that in all cases, body weight was increasing.

CONTINUED (http://www.news.com.au/world/new-research-suggests-viruses-could-be-the-cause-of-the-obesity-epidemic/story-e6frfkyi-1225969955378)

NJCardFan
12-13-2010, 01:35 AM
No. I can say with a 100% degree of certainty that my love of pizza and fast food made me fat not some stupid virus.

Gingersnap
12-13-2010, 10:17 AM
We'd have to read the study but even the pop culture "summary" is loaded with weasel-talk. It would be pretty difficult to evaluate these findings without having a very detailed knowledge of diet composition and portion sizes among the study populations.

Oddly enough, that kind of information is not as easy to come by as people might think. Lab animals that are not being used in studies that specifically evaluate food or metabolism are fed "chow" designed for each species. There are a lot of chow-makers and every formulation is slightly different. The animals are fed by low-wage caretakers who are supposed to feed a measured amount but in practice the portions are much more haphazard. (I've worked in labs that use animal subjects.)

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Here's something I wonder:

Why can someone people eat like pigs and yet remain slim Jims, yet some eat less and become fat? I'm a pretty big eater, and of unhealthy food, yet I retain a relatively lean build for my height; I also have no jowls or double chin. Same thing with a nephew of mine--The kid is maybe 5'6'', and he eats LIKE A PIG, yet he's just over 100 pounds. He doesn't exercise or anything yet he's as skinny as Mick Jagger.

My step-grandpa too. Tall guy, over 6 feet in height, a craggy faced Irishman with a balding head of blondish and white hair; He loved steaks, he loved all sorts of fatty foods, all Irish foods and in large amounts, yet even to his death at age 81 he was a bean pole. No gut whatsoever.

Apache
12-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Another attempt to get eating put under Zerocare?

Apache
12-13-2010, 10:33 AM

Why can someone people eat like pigs and yet remain slim Jims, yet some eat less and become fat? I'm a pretty big eater, and of unhealthy food, yet I retain a relatively lean build for my height; I also have no jowls or double chin. Same thing with a nephew of mine--The kid is maybe 5'6'', and he eats LIKE A PIG, yet he's just over 100 pounds. He doesn't exercise or anything yet he's as skinny as Mick Jagger.

My step-grandpa too. Tall guy, over 6 feet in height, a craggy faced Irishman with a balding head of blondish and white hair; He loved steaks, he loved all sorts of fatty foods, all Irish foods and in large amounts, yet even to his death at age 81 he was a bean pole. No gut whatsoever.

Metabolism. I'm the same way, wiry build...

Rockntractor
12-13-2010, 10:39 AM
The continuous packing of food into your muzzle will cause you to gain weight, couple that with having your wide ass firmly planted in a soft chair and weight gain is guaranteed!:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
12-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Some of that is simply age. You and your nephew are young and you are coming into the age of peak muscle mass. A lot of middle-age weight gain is caused by eating the same amount of food while losing lean muscle muscle mass due aging.

Old people, by contrast, often thin down after 70. They have also lost muscle mass (usually, not inevitably) but they tend to be erratic eaters. Often they will eat just one large meal a day if no one is around to pester them.

Some of it is general build. Taller, larger framed people have more muscle (and slightly higher metabolisms) than shorter, smaller framed people. Fat people, oddly enough, often have a higher base metabolism than their thinner counterparts because of the larger muscle mass needed to haul excessive weight around.

When really fat people diet, they lose more weight more quickly partly because their muscle mass is larger to begin with.

Kay
12-13-2010, 08:36 PM
One of my best friends in college was a walking skeleton.
Try as she might, she just could not gain weight. Her
doctor had her on special very high calorie diets all the
time, but she just had one of those metabolisms that
worked overtime. Nothing ever stuck to her ribs. I would
rather be stuck with a few extra pounds than to be that thin.

MrsSmith
12-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Some skinny people will stay that way regardless of how much they eat.

Some fat people will stay that way regardless of how little they eat.

Everyone else, like 98% of us, reflect our diets and exercise habits. The really heavy are almost always the ones that just can't turn down that extra helping, extra desert, etc.

Rockntractor
12-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Some skinny people will stay that way regardless of how much they eat.

Some fat people will stay that way regardless of how little they eat.

Everyone else, like 98% of us, reflect our diets and exercise habits. The really heavy are almost always the ones that just can't turn down that extra helping, extra desert, etc.

We live in a time when nothing is your fault doncha know!

m00
12-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I think the viruses in question are called the BigMacAttackenza and the Cookiebola.

MrsSmith
12-14-2010, 01:29 AM
We live in a time when nothing is your fault doncha know!

Working in healthcare, I've had this argument with other people. We watched heavy co-workers choose their meals for weeks, and in every case I've won the argument. Day after day, you could watch them choose fried foods, double portions, always at least one dessert, sugared drinks, etc.

I once sat with several very large people that were "carefully dieting" by eating only soup. They were discussing how much they'd lost, how much they'd continue to lose, and how deprived they felt...but they were proud of themselves for sticking to it and eating healthy. The entire time they discussed this, they were eating popcorn and M&Ms. A huge bowl full of popcorn and M&Ms....which they completely emptied...without ever saying one word to each other about how they were messing up their soup-only diet. When I got out of there, I just ROFL'd. Although I will admit that one of those people eventually lost about 100 pounds. Unfortunately, he did it by getting back into heavy drug use. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
12-14-2010, 09:04 AM
My weight always had more to do with not getting enough exercise. I corrected that, and my weight is coming off.

It would be interesting if there was a virus that had some kind of effect on weight, though, because maybe that virus is some kind of trigger of the behaviors that lead to gaining weight.