PDA

View Full Version : NASA vs. Commercial Space Flight

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-13-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm kind of torn on this issue.
Obama basically dashed all the well in the making plans for a space craft we were building, which was meant to replace the soon to be retired Space Shuttle as our national vehicle for space exploration. He also from what I had read cut NASA's budget, and repositioned (I kid you not) NASA's number 1 priority as acting as an outreach to Muslims. I read that our astronauts, if they go to space, will be for the foreseeable future hitching a ride with Russian cosmonaughts.
Some say this was a good move--To let commercial space flight take over, that it might provide for more ingenuity. I'm a little torn on this issue because while I can understand that argument, I have always viewed NASA as one of our biggest national symbols of triumph AND their existence is a facet in our national security and as such is a legitimate function of government. I'm someone who loves the idea of space, and as cheesy as it sounds, it is really the "Final Frontier", and we Americans have since our founding always pushed for the frontier--Always pushed and achieved what seemed to be the impossible, and NASA always (in modern times) embodied that. It was, among many other things, a symbol of our triumph over the Soviets. I also think that in the short term, commercial efforts at space flight won't really be able to catch up to NASA due to the fact that NASA has had more time, more money, more resources--and I believe space exploration and science are legitimate functions of the government.

I've always thought we should go to Mars--Both for the purposes of increasing our scientific knowledge and as a national experience, similar to what the Moon Landing was--but now that Obama has basically gutted NASA and made it a Muslim outreach body, it's likely that some other country will go to Mars before this, and my sense of nationalism hates that. I want America to be first in this, as I want America to be first in everything, and I am one of those who believes in American exceptionalism, and I do believe we can achieve what seems to most to be impossible. That's just who we are as people, and I think NASA needs to be a national icon of that again. It's floundered for years due to lack of PR, or excitement on the part of the people, but I feel we SHOULD be excited about these things.

JMO.

FeebMaster
12-13-2010, 08:58 AM
When man sets out to exploit the rest of the solar system, it will be because of crazy rich guys and rich, crazy guys. Governments will have little to do with it other than to get in the way.

m00
12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
When man sets out to exploit the rest of the solar system, it will be because of crazy rich guys and rich, crazy guys. Governments will have little to do with it other than to get in the way.

As long as we retain the right to keep and bear rockets, I'm good.

NJCardFan
12-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Let private companies take care of it. Chances are it will get done faster and a whole lot better.

Articulate_Ape
12-14-2010, 12:25 AM

This should be etched in stone somewhere.

Rockntractor
12-14-2010, 12:36 AM
This should be etched in stone somewhere.

First we will have to have a committee look into the environmental impact to the local wildlife where the stone is to be etched.