PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Hines put out a controversial cupcake ad.

Gingersnap
12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Racist cupcakes? Duncan Hines 'hip-hop' video ad under fire

BY Nina Mandell
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, December 10th 2010, 5:50 PM
Duncan Hines put out a controversial cupcake ad.

Talk about bad taste.

Cupcakes aren't tasting so sweet for some Duncan Hines marketing execs who were forced to pull a video for their "Amazing Glazes" frosting line after viewers and bloggers complained the dancing cupcakes were racist.

The commercial, which features chocolate-frosted cupcakes singing a harmony, was released on YouTube with the title "Hip Hop". Along with that title, the cupcakes featured exaggerated lips and eyes and more hummed a melody that was decidedly un-hip hop.

"If you're going to call them hip-hop cupcakes, then shouldn't at least one of them at least do a verse?" a blogger wrote on the Racialicious blog wrote.

In a press release, the company said it wanted to inspire creativity in its new commercial.

"I wanted to create an entertaining and engaging way to show bakers that this glaze makes everything you top taste better and more exciting," the commercial's director Josh Binder said in a statement released by the company when the controversial ads were launched.

The commercials were removed by the company but not before generating more than 19,000 views on YouTube, the Toronto Sun reported.

Bloggers were outraged that it took until after the commercial was launched for Duncan Hines staffers to realize there might be an issue with it.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2010/12/10/2010-12-10_racist_cupcakes_duncan_hines_hiphop_commercial_ under_fire_.html#ixzz180hY6cUn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0BeSz5LRCY

Uh.....is this even Hip Hop? Now maybe Hip Hop has changed radically over the past 3 or 4 years but this just sounds like some kind tribal/ambient/techno concoction to me. :confused:

NJCardFan
12-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Um, they're "singing" cup cakes. They don't look like anything but "singing" cupcakes. For the love of all that is Holy, why does everything that even remotely involve any dark color(brown or black) automatically is a shot at blacks? This is almost as ridiculous the ado over that innocuous card from last year. There's thin skinned and there's thin skinned. Oh, how come I don't see blacks get all upset at KFC commercials featuring a completely black cast? Isn't that stereotyping?

djones520
12-13-2010, 11:54 AM
The hip-hop name not withstanding... what about that was racist?

djones520
12-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Um, they're "singing" cup cakes. They don't look like anything but "singing" cupcakes. For the love of all that is Holy, why does everything that even remotely involve any dark color(brown or black) automatically is a shot at blacks? This is almost as ridiculous the ado over that innocuous card from last year. There's thin skinned and there's thin skinned. Oh, how come I don't see blacks get all upset at KFC commercials featuring a completely black cast? Isn't that stereotyping?

Funny you bring that up.

At the KFC back home in Traverse City, there's a big picture on the wall of a bunch of white kids in a tree house with a bucket of chicken. A black kid is down on the ground with this big ass smile on his face obviously wanting to get up there to the chicken.

Now, thats a hell of a lot more racist then this damn thing ever could be.

NJCardFan
12-13-2010, 12:01 PM
The hip-hop name not withstanding... what about that was racist?

Nothing, however, using anything that is black or brown is automatically a shot at blacks. When nonsense like this comes up, it's small wonder why racism will never die in this country. If these were vanilla or strawberry cupcakes, there wouldn't be any outrage.

AmPat
12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Funny you bring that up.

At the KFC back home in Traverse City, there's a big picture on the wall of a bunch of white kids in a tree house with a bucket of chicken. A black kid is down on the ground with this big ass smile on his face obviously wanting to get up there to the chicken.

Now, thats a hell of a lot more racist then this damn thing ever could be.

Traverse City? I don't believe I saw a single Black face in Traverse City when I was there. Why don't we just have Dennys bring back Sambos?:eek:

djones520
12-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Traverse City? I don't believe I saw a single Black face in Traverse City when I was there. Why don't we just have Dennys bring back Sambos?:eek:

There is an extremely small black population in that area. Lot of mexicans though. Cherry picking brings in a lot of them.

Wei Wu Wei
12-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Nothing, however, using anything that is black or brown is automatically a shot at blacks. When nonsense like this comes up, it's small wonder why racism will never die in this country. If these were vanilla or strawberry cupcakes, there wouldn't be any outrage.

There are some issues that our society has never effectively dealt with, and the foundation of racist exploitation for the majority of our nation's history is hard to just erase. Just the way that repression can effectively push conflicts and unacceptable experiences out of the conscious awareness, it also leads to explosions of pent up energy later because the issue was never properly dealt with, like people getting mad at these cupcakes.

I don't care about this ad, but it shouldn't be hard to see how the hate-filled images of the Minstrel Show have been seared into the collective consciousness, and there is nothing of comparable significance for whites.

Apache
12-13-2010, 02:25 PM
It is racist!

It is a needle to white cupcakes everywhere....:rolleyes:

Apache
12-13-2010, 02:28 PM
blah blah blah.

fixxored

The only ones keeping blacks down are other blacks...

Articulate_Ape
12-13-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't care about this ad, but it shouldn't be hard to see how the hate-filled images of the Minstrel Show have been seared into the collective consciousness, and there is nothing of comparable significance for whites.

Unless you happen to be Jewish.

Wei Wu Wei
12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Unless you happen to be Jewish.

I meant in America, but yeah you have a point there. Germany has taken steps to try to crush any re-emergence of Nazism or Neo-Nazism. I'm not sure how effective they are at it, but I know many laws are in place designed to keep history in mind when we look forward. That is important

hampshirebrit
12-13-2010, 02:37 PM
I meant in America

Jesse Jackson: New York = Hymietown.

Articulate_Ape
12-13-2010, 02:37 PM
I meant in America, ...

Well, if we are gonna get into a "I got shit on by whitey" contest, I would say that Native Americans probably have a long head start in that race (pardon the pun).

AmPat
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Blah blah,{ insert crap here} balh blah {insert additional crap here} and there is nothing of comparable significance for whites.

I'm of Irish decent. I never expect or demand anything but equal OPPORTUNITY. I don't expect quotas, or preferences because my face reflects a certain color of light. I don't blame anybody for my ancestors (whom I never met because they are DEAD) abuse, exploitation, and segregation. I don't demand or expect reparations for the wrongs committed by ANYBODY'S ancestors.

My family NEVER owned slaves. I never met a slave. I dare to say there isn't a living person in America who has ever met a slave.

"Properly dealt with?" Get over it and stop making excuses. The Chinese, Vietnamese, Philipinos, etc, etc,, all faced the same problems and they are thriving. No, they aren't slaves, but neither are ANY Blacks.

In sum, grow up, get over it.

Articulate_Ape
12-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm of Irish decent. I never expect or demand anything but equal OPPORTUNITY. I don't expect quotas, or preferences because my face reflects a certain color of light. I don't blame anybody for my ancestors (whom I never met because they are DEAD) abuse, exploitation, and segregation. I don't demand or expect reparations for the wrongs committed by ANYBODY'S ancestors.

My family NEVER owned slaves. I never met a slave. I dare to say there isn't a living person in America who has ever met a slave.

"Properly dealt with?" Get over it and stop making excuses. The Chinese, Vietnamese, Philipinos, etc, etc,, all faced the same problems and they are thriving. No, they aren't slaves, but neither are ANY Blacks.

In sum, grow up, get over it.

Well said, AmPat. I would add that if anyone is interested in meeting a real slave these days, you need only travel to Africa, especially Mauritania. There's enough irony in that fact to make a skillet.

Gingersnap
12-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Seared into the consciousness of the over 50 crowd, maybe.

As for a comparable image, I guess you must of missed how both heterosexual and homosexual men have appropriated female cultural markers even to the point of dressing and behaving in a hyper-stereotypical female fashion which both diminishes the feminine experience for women and mocks women simply for being women. That's pretty comparable to a minstrel show but nobody is sputtering in outrage over it. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
12-13-2010, 03:07 PM

Very true and the Magic Negro has done his part in stirring the pot.

NJCardFan
12-13-2010, 03:25 PM

Sooo, there's never been a time in this country's history where white people were discriminated against? Um...
http://www.sadireland.com/images/nina2cd.jpg

http://www.i-italy.org/files/imagecache/545x/files/still_photos/Italians_1214357942.jpg

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/modlang/carasi/cartoons/anti.italian01.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51r97GJEvPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Shall I go on or is the point made? Even when modern stereotypes of Italians depicting them in the same manner(fat, big nose, big mustache...usually seen on a pizza box), or as mafioso, you don't hear Italians wailing or gnashing teeth over it. We move on. So you can take you nave worldview and rub it on your chest because blacks are far from the only people ever to be discriminated against in this country. The difference being is that other groups(Jews, Italians, Pols, Irish, Asian) have moved above that.

PoliCon
12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
It amazes me that people are soooo obsessed with race that they see it everywhere - even in techno singing cupcakes.

m00
12-14-2010, 01:26 AM
It amazes me that people are soooo obsessed with race that they see it everywhere - even in techno singing cupcakes.

What would be racist is if that were government chocolate.

PoliCon
12-14-2010, 10:03 AM

:eek:Oh no you didn't!:D

NJCardFan
12-14-2010, 11:05 AM

That would be gubment chocolate.