PDA

View Full Version : Muslim teacher sues over not being allowed to go on hajj pilgrimage

bijou
12-14-2010, 09:49 AM
The U.S. Department of Justice Monday slapped the Berkeley School District with a lawsuit, saying it discriminated against a Muslim teacher when it denied her unpaid leave to go on a religious pilgrimage.

The feds said the district, about 15 miles west of Chicago, violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964 in its handling of MacArthur Middle School teacher Safoorah Khan’s December 2008 request, failing to reasonably accommodate her religious practices. ...http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2831921-418/district-khan-department-lawsuit-monday.html

Madisonian
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Would they or have they granted leave to other teachers for similar reasons, say a Jewish or Christian teacher to Jerusalem?

If yes, she has a point. If not, it should be thrown out.

Not enough in the article to draw an informed opinion.

Gingersnap
12-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Since the date of pilgrimage advances through the year (because of the lunar calendar), why couldn't she just wait until it happened during the summer? :confused:

NJCardFan
12-14-2010, 11:00 AM
To be fair, she was requesting unpaid leave so what's the big deal?

PoliCon
12-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Since the date of pilgrimage advances through the year (because of the lunar calendar), why couldn't she just wait until it happened during the summer? :confused:

bingo. and since she's a woman - she's not actually required - or even able to make the hajj. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
12-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Would they or have they granted leave to other teachers for similar reasons, say a Jewish or Christian teacher to Jerusalem?

If yes, she has a point. If not, it should be thrown out.

Not enough in the article to draw an informed opinion.

My jewish coworkers usually are given approval for leave time during their holidays-Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Passover. Some even take the whole week of Passover off.

Of course, christian teachers are accomodated by the very schedule. They get two weeks off for Christmas and usually a week off at Easter.

I don't think she should sue, but I think the school district should have given her the leave. I think she should find a religion that gives women respect.

PoliCon
12-14-2010, 11:52 AM
My jewish coworkers usually are given approval for leave time during their holidays-Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Passover. Some even take the whole week of Passover off.

Of course, christian teachers are accomodated by the very schedule. They get two weeks off for Christmas and usually a week off at Easter.

I don't think she should sue, but I think the school district should have given her the leave. I think she should find a religion that gives women respect.

BALONEY. I still have to work Spy wed and Holy Thursday - and the Pittsburgh city schools - where there is a large Jewish population gives the Jewish holidays off. So . . . .

Gingersnap
12-14-2010, 12:20 PM
She didn't want a Muslim holiday in lieu of a Christian or secular holiday, she wanted to take off for the better part of a month. She can do that when it falls during the summer. If a Christian wanted to go on a pilgrimage for that length of time, the Christian would have to schedule it outside of the school year.

Her problem isn't that the school is forbidding her from making the pilgrimage, just that that they are unwilling to disrupt classes and hire a substitute for that length of time when this isn't an emergency.

PoliCon
12-14-2010, 12:28 PM
She didn't want a Muslim holiday in lieu of a Christian or secular holiday, she wanted to take off for the better part of a month. She can do that when it falls during the summer. If a Christian wanted to go on a pilgrimage for that length of time, the Christian would have to schedule it outside of the school year.

Her problem isn't that the school is forbidding her from making the pilgrimage, just that that they are unwilling to disrupt classes and hire a substitute for that length of time when this isn't an emergency.

and reality is she's not interested in making the hajj - she most likely has a berth in a training camp booked.

noonwitch
12-14-2010, 12:59 PM
BALONEY. I still have to work Spy wed and Holy Thursday - and the Pittsburgh city schools - where there is a large Jewish population gives the Jewish holidays off. So . . . .

Dude, your union sucks.

djones520
12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
and reality is she's not interested in making the hajj - she most likely has a berth in a training camp booked.

:rolleyes:

And your evidence for this is?

PoliCon
12-14-2010, 04:03 PM
:rolleyes:

And your evidence for this is?

Isn't that were they all go?

hampshirebrit
12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
To be fair, she was requesting unpaid leave so what's the big deal?

Doesn't matter if it's unpaid leave or not.

Unpaid leave can adversely impact the employer in terms of service delivery, so it's not just up to the employee...it has to be negotiated,and both sides must come to terms.

PoliCon
12-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Doesn't matter if it's unpaid leave or not.

Unpaid leave can adversely impact the employer in terms of service delivery, so it's not just up to the employee...it has to be negotiated,and both sides must come to terms.

Right. Bringing in a sub for a month is not easy first off - secondly it throws the kids off which impacts their performance in other classes. . . .

linda22003
12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
You only have to do it once in your life. It can be anytime.

Gingersnap
12-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Correct, so waiting until 2014 or whenever it will be in the summer is no big deal.

Rockntractor
12-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Correct, so waiting until 2014 or whenever it will be in the summer is no big deal.

Girls can't go anyway, only men, make me a sammich woman!:rolleyes:

Hawkgirl
12-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Doesn't fall under FMLA, so the school district isn't obligated to approve it.

Gingersnap
12-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Girls can't go anyway, only men, make me a sammich woman!:rolleyes:

Women can do it, it simply isn't required.

Get yer own sammich.

PoliCon
12-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Women can do it, it simply isn't required.

Get yer own sammich.

They can go and WATCH they do not get to actually participate. I'll have a ham and swiss on rye :p

m00
12-15-2010, 10:23 PM

Maybe she has insider knowledge about the end of the world! If anyone would know, it's a Muslim.