PDA

View Full Version : Assange Being Granted Bail

NJCardFan
12-14-2010, 10:46 AM
On FoxNews right now, a British judge is granting him bail. Assange will be underground within 15 minutes of his release. I could care less that his bail comes with restrictions(forfeit of passport, etc.), this guy is going to be funneled to a safe house in Serbia somewhere. There is no story link yet. I'll post one when one is available.

PoliCon
12-14-2010, 10:50 AM
PLEASE skip bail! PLEASE OH PLEASE skip bail!

NJCardFan
12-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Here is the link from Fox: http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/12/14/assange-bail-hearing-underway/

Assange Bail Hearing Underway

UPDATE: Julian Assange has been granted bail. The British judge who announced this stressed that Assange must abide by strict bail conditions as he fights extradition to Sweden in a sex-crimes investigation.
The lawyer for Sweden says she is likely to appeal Assange bail.
The first headline to emerge from Julian Assange’s bail hearing at Westminster Magistrates Court was that the judge would allow journalists to tweet from inside the courtroom. As long as they were quiet.
The running commentary began—packed court, Bianca Jagger in the house, Assange with smart gray cropped hair, in the same suit he wore at his last hearing.
This is a hearing related to a sex abuse case, but the new media element was everywhere. Assange’s supporters, sympathetic “hacktivists” wreaked havoc in the past week, temporarily disabling websites of PayPal, Visa and Mastercard, after those companies put the squeeze on Wikileaks’ funding.
Many of them were outside the courthouse. There was a heavy police presence. And an enormous media presence.
The Wikileaks founder has assembled a formidable legal team, including Geoffrey Roberston, a celebrity freedom of speech lawyer who worked with Salman Rushdie. His Swedish lawyer thinks they can put down the sex allegations. And that they were motivated by jealousy and disappointment.
Assange’s legal team wants their client free as the extradition issue plays itself out. They are arguing he is not a flight risk, as his face has been plastered across the covers of newspapers and magazines around the world. And he could wear an electronic magnet, they offer. Bail was denied Assange in the last hearing because Assange had nothing but a post office box address in Australia.

Odysseus
12-14-2010, 12:12 PM
PLEASE skip bail! PLEASE OH PLEASE skip bail!

While I like the idea of hunting him down like a dog as much as the next guy, I'm really more interested in having the US indict him for espionage. Maybe Eric Holder can take some time out of his busy schedule of harassing Arizona and calling us cowards on racial issues to, I dunno, do his f***ing job?

Molon Labe
12-14-2010, 12:17 PM
he's on eletronic monitoring so it's not likely he will skip out. He turned himself in remember.

PoliCon
12-14-2010, 12:27 PM
While I like the idea of hunting him down like a dog as much as the next guy, I'm really more interested in having the US indict him for espionage. Maybe Eric Holder can take some time out of his busy schedule of harassing Arizona and calling us cowards on racial issues to, I dunno, do his f***ing job?

I agree - but the simple fact of the matter is - innocent people do not skip bail :)

bijou
12-14-2010, 12:38 PM
No link yet but Reuters report via Twitter says he's staying in prison pending the appeal by the Swedish prosecutors.

hampshirebrit
12-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Quite surprised at this... I'd heard that there were irregularities with his record of entry to the UK, as in, there is none. That should in itself be cause to keep him under lock and key until that aspect has been cleared up. If he got in under the radar, one has to assume that he has ways of getting out.

Odysseus
12-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I agree - but the simple fact of the matter is - innocent people do not skip bail :)
I can see a circumstance where an innocent person might skip bail, but not in this case. Remember that Iran released that hiker on bail. If she goes back for trial, she's even stupider than I thought that she is.

Quite surprised at this... I'd heard that there were irregularities with his record of entry to the UK, as in, there is none. That should in itself be cause to keep him under lock and key until that aspect has been cleared up. If he got in under the radar, one has to assume that he has ways of getting out.

Agreed, but this is the opinion of one judge, and one never knows where they are coming from. Could be a Wikileaks supporter...

NJCardFan
12-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Did you hear who's posting his bail?
http://www.fullissue.com/wp-content/uploads/michael-Moore.jpg
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/92043/20101214/michael-moore-posts-bail-for-julian-assange-wikileaks.htm

Rockntractor
12-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Did you hear who's posting his bail?
http://www.fullissue.com/wp-content/uploads/michael-Moore.jpg
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/92043/20101214/michael-moore-posts-bail-for-julian-assange-wikileaks.htm

When he found out that England would release him for a few pounds, Moore naturally thought that this was a way to get rid of his unwanted pounds. Boy is he in for a surprise!:rolleyes: