PDA

View Full Version : How do we convince Americans to insist on raising taxes on the rich?

Carol
12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x6651)

reformist2 (264 posts)
Original message
How do we convince Americans to insist on raising taxes on the rich?

Everyone here knows this is what needs to happen to restore our government to long-term solvency. I suspect most Americans know this as well, deep down. And yet, we can't get them to vote this way. Why not? Have the Republicans shamed the public into thinking that taxing the rich more is wrong? If so, how do we undo this brainwashing???

I fear that if Democrats don't figure out how to convince Americans to support them on raising taxes soon, we're going to lose twice over: Once because this guarantees trillion dollar deficits that will lead to a fiscal crisis and bankruptcy reorganization of the government, and twice because the bankruptcy proceedings that occur will most assuredly focus on spending cuts and hardly at all on increasing revenue.

Democrats have been losing on the tax issue for years. If we don't figure out a way to turn it around on this issue, I'm afraid we are going to lose everything.

rhett o rick Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 11:06 AM
Response to Original message
1. Without the media we are lost. nm

xchrom Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 11:14 AM
2. Tell them the truth: low taxes on the rich is a theft

From everyone else.

treestar Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 12:01 PM
Response to Reply #3
18. Where they are from matters

IMO it is convincing the Americans from the red states. No mean feat, that. But there could be a way. If they don't like the debt, they should be convinced it is to their benefit. Maybe they could be convinced that high tax rates on the rich should apply during times when the nation is in the red. And can go back down otherwise. Also they need to learn that they are not the rich - in fact the rich may be crowded into blue states.

kentuck Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 11:21 AM
5. deficits.

They are not paying their fair share and are driving up the deficits.

T Wolf Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 11:54 AM
16. I believe we are fighting against a basic American characteristic - greed. EVERYONE, or at least a

sizable proportion believe that they, somehow, will eventually wind up in that elite group. This is fed by the "American exceptionalism" bullshit that they are fed by the media and others. So, those breaks better be there when they get there.

In addition, enough are comfortable enough to blunt any widespread revolt.

Only when government is so impoverished that basic services become scarce will enough people wake up. But by then, it will be too late.

Apache
12-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Thank God we didn't have this bunch when the country was founded...

Wei Wu Wei
12-14-2010, 02:29 PM
worthless liberals. they need to educate themselves first and foremost instead of trying to be the blind leading the blind

AmPat
12-14-2010, 04:36 PM
How do we convince Americans to insist on raising taxes on the rich? I don't accept this premise. If we agree to steal money from the rich, it is only a matter of time before we agree to expand the definition of rich. Why don't we try convincing Americans to steal from the poor? That is a morally equivalent action in my mind as both are unacceptable.