PDA

View Full Version : DUmmies wonder about DOD cuts

djones520
12-14-2010, 06:35 PM
midnight armadillo (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 04:08 PM
Original message
If the DoD budget was substantially cut, how bad would the recession get?
This thought passed through my head while consider the insanity of the DoD budget. Seems like any significant cuts to the DoD would result in serious economic repercussions...making the military one giant government jobs and stimulus program.

oh, we're fucked.

No... that money is spent to keep you from getting fucked. There is a differance.

Jackpine Radical (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 04:13 PM
Response to Original message
3. Yes, a lot of people would be suddenly out of work.
I have no problem with extending generous unemployment and retraining benefits to them all to ease them into being able to make productive contributions to our society. Kind of like criminal rehabilitation, I guess. But the savings from ceasing the manufacture of all those planes, tanks, drones, bombs, howitzers, APCs, ships, etc., as well as the savings from not maintaining a huge military abroad, would be enough to totally transform our society and restore us to leadership in a 21st century world economy.

So... their solution? "Fire everybody, and put them on unemployment." That will certainly help the economy.

midnight armadillo (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 04:16 PM
Response to Reply #3
5. jobs like mine!
My company largely works in DoD related (non weapons) R&D. A serious cutback in DoD funding would probably put me out of a job. Generous unemployment sounds good to me

Well, we aren't all free loading bitches, but good job in bringing up the fact that more then just people who wear the uniform will get hurt.

hedgehog (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 04:17 PM
6. Depends - if the money going to the DoD is shifted to roads,
bridges, railroads, new transmission lines, wind turbines, wave turbines, schools, etc. etc you'd employ many of the same people, but they 'd be doing something that adds to the economy instead of draining it.

For the whole 6 months it takes to do those jobs. Then what? :rolleyes:

Mike 03 (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 06:09 PM
18. I think the recession would recede, because we don't need this expense and level of cost of
defense right now.

Sure, another million on unemployment won't hurt the economy at all. :rolleyes:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x8893

SarasotaRepub
12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
That thread would be hilarious if it wasn't so drop dead dumb.

But of course, it's on the DUmp. The USA Patriotic Site of the Century!!!!! :rolleyes::D

BadCat
12-14-2010, 07:18 PM
But the savings from ceasing the manufacture of all those planes, tanks, drones, bombs, howitzers, APCs, ships, etc

We haven't manufactured any of those things in some time.

3rd-try
12-14-2010, 09:05 PM
BrklynLiberal (1000+ posts) Tue Dec-14-10 04:18 PM
7. Not if the money was diverted to infrastructure, education, energy creation and the other sources
of job creation

Energy creation. Yea, that'll fix everything. More windmills and ethanol. Ignore our own reserves. Brilliant!

djones520
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
We haven't manufactured any of those things in some time.

Err... UAV's, Bombs, Ships, Artillery, MRAPS, and aircraft are being built in the US right now. The only thing that isn't the Tank.

Dan D. Doty
12-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Its kind of like a bigger version of " GUN CONTROL."

If we have no militatary, then no one will attack us; if I don't own a gun, no one will hurt me.

People who use magic thinking a lot, always manage to hurt many people with it.

Zathras
12-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Err... UAV's, Bombs, Ships, Artillery, MRAPS, and aircraft are being built in the US right now. The only thing that isn't the Tank.

Actually the Tank is being rebuilt at the Anniston Army Depot in Alabama, where in just 55 days a battleworn Abrams can be made good as new.

So the people that do these jobs would lose their jobs as well under the DUmbasses plan.

3rd-try
12-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Actually the Tank is being rebuilt at the Anniston Army Depot in Alabama, where in just 55 days a battleworn Abrams can be made good as new.

So the people that do these jobs would lose their jobs as well under the DUmbasses plan.

but,...but, if we just teach the world to sing and buy them a Coke we won't need those icky tanks anymore, right?

FDK
12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
but,...but, if we just teach the world to sing and buy them a Coke we won't need those icky tanks anymore, right?

Buying the world Coca Cola only increases the profit of a multinational corporatist company.

AmPat
12-15-2010, 10:20 AM

BLASPHEMER! This is just what the 1st lady was talking about. How dare you push COKE! What were you thinking. I'll bet your children are bigger around than Michelle's thighs.

Apache
12-15-2010, 10:53 AM
I got an IDEA!

It would cut the DoD budget... some....

Stop forcing programs on the DoD that aren't wanted, requested or needed! That would cut some of the fat...;)

3rd-try
12-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Buying the world Coca Cola only increases the profit of a multinational corporatist company.

BLASPHEMER! This is just what the 1st lady was talking about. How dare you push COKE! What were you thinking. I'll bet your children are bigger around than Michelle's thighs.

...then we'll use only free range Coke.

txradioguy
12-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Typical Libtard logic.

Cut the programs we really need...don't touch the actual programs that are killing the economy and the country.