PDA

View Full Version : GOD Talk about B.S.

Cseeman
12-16-2010, 03:18 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x22171

They forget to say that this organization running the poll is headed by steven Krull... the far lift leaning nutcase. Why and how can public education insituttions spend our money on B.S. like this..

They take the BS that the liberal media spouts and then compare it to what fox says and anytime fox says something differerent its called a lie.

Study Confirms That Fox News Makes You Stupid
http://www.alternet.org/media/149193/study_confirms_tha... /

Here is a list of what Fox News viewers believe that just aint so:

* 91 percent believe the stimulus legislation lost jobs
* 72 percent believe the health reform law will increase the deficit
* 72 percent believe the economy is getting worse
* 60 percent believe climate change is not occurring
* 49 percent believe income taxes have gone up
* 63 percent believe the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts
* 56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout
* 38 percent believe that most Republicans opposed TARP
* 63 percent believe Obama was not born in the U.S. (or that it is unclear

Wei Wu Wei
12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Does it matter exactly who does the poll? I mean if this guy is a leftist there is reason to look into the polling data and examine the questions and the sampling but if those check out then the person reporting it doesn't matter.

Wei Wu Wei
12-16-2010, 04:19 PM
The right-wing network Fox News is under scrutiny over newly disclosed directives to its on-air reporters. The group Media Matters has released a leaked memo showing a top Fox News editor ordered journalists to always state that climate change data has been called into question when discussing the topic. The directive originated during the U.N. Climate Change Conference talks last year in Copenhagen when a Fox News correspondent reported the U.N.’s data that the last decade was the warmest on record. Minutes later, Fox News Washington managing editor Bill Sammon sent out a memo questioning the "veracity of climate change data" and ordering correspondents to "refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that critics have called into question." The revelation follows disclosure of [/b]another memo ordering Fox News reporters to avoid use of the term "public option" in favor of "government option" when discussing healthcare. The directive echoed advice from a Republican pollster on ways to sway public opinion against healthcare reform.[/b]

I mean this stuff should be obvious. None of the Cable News Networks are even close to being respectable news organizations. That's Fox, CNN, MSNBC. Even the broadcast networks are terrible but at least they don't spend 24 hours a day spamming entertainment gossip.

They should do a poll seeing how many people consider these news organizations to be legitimate sources of information. I have a feeling the results would be horrifying,

Rockntractor
12-16-2010, 04:25 PM
I mean this stuff should be obvious. None of the Cable News Networks are even close to being respectable news organizations. That's Fox, CNN, MSNBC. Even the broadcast networks are terrible but at least they don't spend 24 hours a day spamming entertainment gossip.

They should do a poll seeing how many people consider these news organizations to be legitimate sources of information. I have a feeling the results would be horrifying,

Every day they do a poll, it is called ratings.
You vote by your response to their advertisers.

Wei Wu Wei
12-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Ratings? Not so. There are people who watch Fox for fun, for entertainment, or just to see the "crazy conservative perspective on reality".

In fact, I watch Fox News far more than any other news channel. That doesn't mean I consider its shit reporting to be legitimate journalism

Rockntractor
12-16-2010, 04:42 PM
That doesn't mean I consider its shit reporting to be legitimate journalismWell you are an expert on shit, you're full of it.

Wei Wu Wei
12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
No kidding. I finally tried one of those Double Down chicken-for-bread sandwiches from KFC yesterday and i stll haven't recovered

Bleda
12-16-2010, 05:28 PM

They are horrifying (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/32039.html)... to you.

Fox is the most trusted television news network in the country, according to a new poll out Tuesday.

A Public Policy Polling nationwide survey of 1,151 registered voters Jan. 18-19 found that 49 percent of Americans trusted Fox News, 10 percentage points more than any other network.

Thirty-seven percent said they didn’t trust Fox, also the lowest level of distrust that any of the networks recorded.

Wei Wu Wei
12-16-2010, 06:47 PM
They are horrifying (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/32039.html)... to you.

Well it's still less than half actually believe the garbage on any of the cable news networks.

It's not surprising, however, that Fox is the most trusted of all the untrusted networks.

Afterall, they are absolutely brilliant at their job: getting ratings.

The colors, the sounds, the personalities, the almost all model-hot female casts and extreme positions appeal to the lowest common denominator. So much of the Fox News strategy for getting ratings is taken right from the WWE, MTV, and other spectacle-driven crowd pleasers.

It makes the carefully-conditioned brains of your average American light up like a Christmas tree when they see Megyn Kelly shouting at her guests or Glenn Beck using Nazi archive footage spliced with pictures of DEMONCRATS.

I mean even people like Karl Rove are resorting to using white-boards on the O'Reilly Factor.

Still though, I'll be the first to say that I love to watch Fox News.

Wei Wu Wei
12-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Yes many people believe it is legitimate news, but then again, there was a study showing that America was the #2 country in the world when it came to Evolution-Denial

The only other country surveyed that had more people denying the validity of evolution was the great nation of Turkey.

When that many people are lacking even the most basic understanding of 9th grade biology, my expectations aren't too high for critical thinking skills.

Bleda
12-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes many people believe it is legitimate news, but then again, there was a study showing that America was the #2 country in the world when it came to Evolution-Denial

The only other country surveyed that had more people denying the validity of evolution was the great nation of Turkey.

When that many people are lacking even the most basic understanding of 9th grade biology, my expectations aren't too high for critical thinking skills.

I didn't know believing in evolution was a prerequisite for being intelligent.

By the way, are you sure Americans believe in evolution less than any other people in the world? What about South America, Africa, the Middle East, among other regions?

I'm not religious and I don't believe in evolution, mainly because I've never bothered trying to find out if it's true. Evolution bears a striking resemblance to global warming, with the Left and the 'scientific community' religiously clinging to it and mocking and destroying all "unbelievers." It may very well be true (but, as I said, I don't know), but I don't really see how not believing in it makes one less intelligent.

I wonder if you would've given the "Americans are dumb! They don't believe in evolution!" response if that poll showed the majority of Americans don't trust Fox.

Bleda
12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Well it's still less than half actually believe the garbage on any of the cable news networks.

It's not surprising, however, that Fox is the most trusted of all the untrusted networks.

Afterall, they are absolutely brilliant at their job: getting ratings.

The colors, the sounds, the personalities, the almost all model-hot female casts and extreme positions appeal to the lowest common denominator. So much of the Fox News strategy for getting ratings is taken right from the WWE, MTV, and other spectacle-driven crowd pleasers.

It makes the carefully-conditioned brains of your average American light up like a Christmas tree when they see Megyn Kelly shouting at her guests or Glenn Beck using Nazi archive footage spliced with pictures of DEMONCRATS.

I mean even people like Karl Rove are resorting to using white-boards on the O'Reilly Factor.

Still though, I'll be the first to say that I love to watch Fox News.

Uh, buddy, those are the opinion shows, not the news. When it comes to news, Fox is far more credible than, for instance, CNN, which [intentionally, perhaps] falls for Palestinian propaganda, among other things.

Wei Wu Wei
12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
lol

Wei Wu Wei
12-16-2010, 07:25 PM

It's not a prereq for intelligence but it is a pretty basic standard for passing high school science.

By the way, are you sure Americans believe in evolution less than any other people in the world? What about South America, Africa, the Middle East, among other regions?

No the study only looked at developed, industrialized nations.

I'm not religious and I don't believe in evolution, mainly because I've never bothered trying to find out if it's true.

Well I am in full support of people doing their own research and coming to their own conclusions but do you also not believe in Einstein's Theory of Relativity or contemporary theories of Gravity? I'm going to guess, and I may be wrong, that like most people who aren't scientists you haven't gone through and looked up the nitty gritty details of these theories, but do you disbelieve them?

Evolution bears a striking resemblance to global warming, with the Left and the 'scientific community' religiously clinging to it and mocking and destroying all "unbelievers." It may very well be true (but, as I said, I don't know), but I don't really see how not believing in it makes one less intelligent.

Doubting a theory doesn't make someone less intelligent, but not understanding how Evolution works does make someone ignorant (if only in that area). This is a failure of our education system.

Studying the theory and critiquing it is perfectly fine, this is what all scientists do, but never studying it and critiquing it from a position of ignorance is a little foolish in my opinion.

I wonder if you would've given the "Americans are dumb! They don't believe in evolution!" response if that poll showed the majority of Americans don't trust Fox.

The majority of Americans don't trust Fox. Almost half trust them, fewer distrust them, the rest seem undecided or ignorant of Fox's reporting credibility. edit: actually that study is slightly dated and quite frankly I think Fox has gotten only more popular since this study was done so maybe most Americans do trust Fox.

However, when it comes to scientific education, I do believe Americans are woefully ignorant, no matter what news station they watch.

malloc
12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
The group Media Matters has released a leaked memo showing a top Fox News editor ordered journalists to always state that climate change data has been called into question when discussing the topic. The directive originated during the U.N. Climate Change Conference talks last year in Copenhagen when a Fox News correspondent reported the U.N.’s data that the last decade was the warmest on record. Minutes later, Fox News Washington managing editor Bill Sammon sent out a memo questioning the "veracity of climate change data" and ordering correspondents to "refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that critics have called into question."

This was a bad example Wei. Sammon was right to order his employees to ensure that they also report the fact that critics have called climate change data into question, because it's just plain true that many critics have called the IPCC data into question and with good reason. To do otherwise would be akin to reporting a story on pit bull attacks without mentioning the fact that the ASPCA and other organizations claim that pit bull attack data is largely misrepresented and that they are no more likely to attack than other aggressive breeds.

NJCardFan
12-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow. Media Matters. A George Soros owned organization. How quaint. :rolleyes:

Carol
12-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
It's not a prereq for intelligence but it is a pretty basic standard for passing high school science.
REALLY?? Believing in evolution is a prerequisite for PASSING high school science?

A student might need to understand what evolutionists are claiming and be able to discuss it and test on it, but they certainly don't need to believe it.

Wei Wu Wei
12-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Fair enough. Understanding it is good enough.

However, while there are some intelligent criticisms of the theory of evolution, the vast majority of what i've heard criticising evolution stemmed from very clear ignorance of the theory.

SarasotaRepub
12-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Wei, the problem the Left has with Fox is simple, Fox reports both sides. It also reports storys that the MSM would have just let go by the wayside.

And it really comes down to Foxs little quip - "We report, you decide". People can
make a choice. No one forces anyone to watch anything on tv or listen to anyone on the radio. But that isn't good enough for the Kook Left, they want people they disagree with removed from the air. Look at the retards on DU for an example.

It's also hilarious how the Wacky Left viciously attacks Fox and even though you Lefties scream you're for free speech, you'd all cheer if Fox was taken off the air.

Look at Talk Radio, the Left basically has no one. And by that I mean no one anyone wants to listen to. If the Left could field someone the American people wanted to listen to all the big fat ebil Comm Corps would put him/her on in a heartbeat. Instead, all the Left has is hate filled anti-American puss bags like Malloy and Randi.

The more the Left cries about Fox and Rush the more you look like this.

http://rightvoices.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/democratic_crybaby_seal.jpg

Have a good day Wei, gotta get dressed for work and pay taxes. :D

3rd-try
12-17-2010, 07:47 AM
This was a bad example Wei. Sammon was right to order his employees to ensure that they also report the fact that critics have called climate change data into question, because it's just plain true that many critics have called the IPCC data into question and with good reason. To do otherwise would be akin to reporting a story on pit bull attacks without mentioning the fact that the ASPCA and other organizations claim that pit bull attack data is largely misrepresented and that they are no more likely to attack than other aggressive breeds.

Absolutely! I listen to Fox, and NPR daily. GW is presented on NPR as a case-closed fact. This is obviously false.

A coworker of my brother's who fancied himself to be politically knowledgeable, had no idea who Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers were until the '08 election was past. His news source?, mostly NPR.

How the hell can anyone call NPR a news source?

MrsSmith
12-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Fair enough. Understanding it is good enough.

However, while there are some intelligent criticisms of the theory of evolution, the vast majority of what i've heard criticising evolution stemmed from very clear ignorance of the theory.

Everyone believes that evolution occurs...just not all fall for the idea that evolution explains all the life on this planet. Many people get hung up on that basic requirement...that life started all by itself, with no supernatural assistance, managed to survive, managed to "invent" RNA and DNA and reproduction. You know...the fairy tale foundation for the idea that evolution somehow replaces God. If Europeans want to fall for that line, let them. After all, they are the ones that can't understand enough basic economics to see the problem with the government providing more for the unworking than the working poor can earn. Obviously, they haven't thought through a lot of basic suppositions.

Adam Wood
12-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Uh, buddy, those are the opinion shows, not the news. When it comes to news, Fox is far more credible than, for instance, CNN, which [intentionally, perhaps] falls for Palestinian propaganda, among other things.It never ceases to both amuse and amaze me how much the Left is incapable of distinguishing hard news from opinion. Then again these are the people who think that Stephen Colbert delivers hard news, so that really ought to tell you something right there.

It never, ever fails: ask some Leftist kook why Fox is biased and they'll inevitably cite O'Reilly and Beck and Hannity. And then when you point out that those are opinion shows, not news, they'll totter off to find some idiot "study" from Huff-n-Puff or Alternet or some such lunatic fringe outfit that somehow "proves" that FNC is just a right-wing shill organization.

Adam Wood
12-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Holy crap!

By the way, the rest of the media was not blameless. CNN and the broadcast network news operations fared only slightly better in many cases. Even MSNBC, which had the best record of accurately informing viewers, has a ways to go before it can brag about it.

You have to be shitting me! The people who have Tingles Matthews and Keef Moonbatmann delivering election coverage have the best record of accurately informing viewers? LMAO! What a colossal load of horseshit!

These people really have gone round the bend. LOL!

AmPat
12-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Some people believe in the tooth fairy, Santa Clause, and O Blah Blah, so we know a significant percentage of the population ("progressives") are out of touch. Some actually dare to doubt the "THEORY" of evolution as the origin of life, WOW! Incredible, huh?:rolleyes:

I don't believe we originated out of nothingness? that somehow was something?- that magically and spontaneously ignited? and formed something?- that made life? that crawled out of the ocean? and mystically had the means to reproduce? into ever more advanced other forms and species??? that was able to put a man on the moon, and eventually elect a president and congress comprised of a majority of lessser forms of life, that are trying to devolve us back into mindless monkees.:cool:

I guess you are superior to me.:rolleyes: Sure makes sense to, to,,to,,, well, not me. Yet these are the same self righteous pricks (like you and wilbur), who tend to ridicule people (like me), whoin our simple minded way, believe that for all this magical, mystical, nothingness to create life was made by a Divine design.

Tell you what, gather me together a bunch of nothing, place it into proximity to some more nothing, wait until it spontaneously lights off without a catalyst (which doesn't exist), and stand back until it explodes into a fully operational Space Shuttle. Now please do us all a favor and don't eat or drink anything until that occurs, we wouldn't want you missing it. It would be nice if you could post it on You Tube.

After the miracle Space Shuttle is ready (don't forget the fuel that was made from that same nothingness), go look into the crew station and see if your miracle Space Shuttle also produced a pilot to operate it.

Bleda
12-17-2010, 04:13 PM

So?

No the study only looked at developed, industrialized nations.

So much for your claim that "America was the #2 country in the world when it came to Evolution-Denial."

ell I am in full support of people doing their own research and coming to their own conclusions but do you also not believe in Einstein's Theory of Relativity or contemporary theories of Gravity? I'm going to guess, and I may be wrong, that like most people who aren't scientists you haven't gone through and looked up the nitty gritty details of these theories, but do you disbelieve them?

I neither disbelieve nor believe in anything I know nothing about. If I were a scientist who understood and studied a certain theory, then I would have an opinion on it.

Doubting a theory doesn't make someone less intelligent, but not understanding how Evolution works does make someone ignorant (if only in that area). This is a failure of our education system.

Ignorant of what? Of how evolution works? So? Why does it matter?

Studying the theory and critiquing it is perfectly fine, this is what all scientists do, but never studying it and critiquing it from a position of ignorance is a little foolish in my opinion.

Good thing the majority of Americans only "not believe" in evolution, rather than criticize it and claim it's a fact that it's not true when they know nothing about it, huh?

However, when it comes to scientific education, I do believe Americans are woefully ignorant, no matter what news station they watch.

No shoot, Sherlock. What do you think is the ideology of those who have controlled education and the media for the past few decades? They have an interest in keeping as many Americans as possible ignorant of science, economics, history and anything that proves what a disastrous failure their ideology is.

txradioguy
12-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Fox does a far better job of reporting both sides of a story and leaving the editorialism out of its hard news stories than the other cable or traditional news outlets.

The last time I saw any reporter from the MSM try to report things down the middle was in Iraq in 2003. That was Bob Arnot for NBC. And it pretty much cost him his job.

A wise man once said that reporters report the news and journalists make themselves a part of the story. We have far too few reporters and way too many journalists covering events these days.

They will be horrifying for any news outlet NOT named Fox News.

txradioguy
12-17-2010, 04:21 PM

That's because REAL science isn't being taught in school anymore. And it has nothing to do with what news channel they watch.

Wei Wu Wei
12-17-2010, 08:17 PM
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/brunitedstatescanadara/671.php?nid=&id=&pnt=671&lb=

Voters Say Election Full of Misleading and False Information

Following the first election since the Supreme Court has struck down limits on election-related advertising, a new poll finds that 9 in 10 voters said that in the 2010 election they encountered information they believed was misleading or false, with 56% saying this occurred frequently. Fifty-four percent said that it had been more frequent than usual, while just three percent said it was less frequent than usual, according to the poll conducted by WorldPublicOpinion.org, based at the University of Maryland, and Knowledge Networks.

Equally significant, the poll found strong evidence that voters were substantially misinformed on many of the key issues of the campaign. Such misinformation was correlated with how people voted and their exposure to various news sources.

Voters' misinformation included beliefs at odds with the conclusions of government agencies, generally regarded as non-partisan, consisting of professional economists and scientists.

• Though the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) concluded that the stimulus legislation has saved or created 2.0-5.2 million jobs, only 8% of voters thought most economists who had studied it concluded that the stimulus legislation had created or saved several million jobs. Most (68%) believed that economists estimate that it only created or saved a few jobs and 20% even believed that it resulted in job losses.
• Though the CBO concluded that the health reform law would reduce the budget deficit, 53% of voters thought most economists have concluded that health reform will increase the deficit.
• Though the Department of Commerce says that the US economy began to recover from recession in the third quarter of 2009 and has continued to grow since then, only 44% of voters thought the economy is starting to recover, while 55% thought the economy is still getting worse.
• Though the National Academy of Sciences has concluded that climate change is occurring, 45% of voters thought most scientists think climate change is not occurring (12%) or that scientists are evenly divided (33%).

Other key points of misinformation among voters were:

• 40% of voters believed incorrectly that the TARP legislation was initiated under Barack Obama, rather than George Bush
• 31% believed it was proven true that the US Chamber of Commerce spent large amounts of money it had raised from foreign sources to support Republican candidates
• 54% believed that there were no tax cuts in the stimulus legislation
• 86% assumed their taxes had gone up (38%) or stayed the same (48%), while only 10% were aware that their taxes had gone down since 2009
• 53% thought that the bailout of GM and Chrysler occurred only under Obama, though it was initiated under Bush

Clay Ramsay, of WorldPublicOpinion.org commented, "While we do not have data to make a clear comparison to the past, this high level of misinformation and the fact that voters perceived a higher than usual level of false and misleading information, suggests that the increased flow of money into political advertising may have contributed to a higher level of misinformation."

The poll also found significant differences depending how people voted. Those who voted Republican were more likely than those who voted Democratic to believe that: most economists have concluded that the health care law will increase the deficit (voted Republican 73%, voted Democratic 31%); the American economy is still getting worse (72% to 36%); the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (67% to 42%); most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (62% to 26%); and it is not clear that Obama was born within the United States (64% to 18%)

On the other hand those who voted Democratic were more likely to incorrectly believe that: it was proven to be true that the US Chamber of Commerce was spending large amounts of foreign money to support Republican candidates (voted Democratic 57%, voted Republican 9%); Obama has not increased the level of troops in Afghanistan (51% to 39%); and Democratic legislators did not mostly vote in favor of TARP (56% to 14%).

In most cases those who had greater levels of exposure to news sources had lower levels of misinformation. There were, however, a number of cases where greater exposure to a particular news source increased misinformation on some issues.

Those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely), most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points), the economy is getting worse (26 points), most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points), the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points), their own income taxes have gone up (14 points), the auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points), when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points) and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points). The effect was also not simply a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it--though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican.

There were cases with some other news sources as well. Daily consumers of MSNBC and public broadcasting (NPR and PBS) were higher (34 points and 25 points respectively) in believing that it was proven that the US Chamber of Commerce was spending money raised from foreign sources to support Republican candidates. Daily watchers of network TV news broadcasts were 12 points higher in believing that TARP was signed into law by President Obama, and 11 points higher in believing that most Republicans oppose TARP.

Full report(PDF) (http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_rpt.pdf)
Questionnaire with Findings, Methodology (PDF) (http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_quaire.pdf)

Rockntractor
12-17-2010, 08:51 PM
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/brunitedstatescanadara/671.php?nid=&id=&pnt=671&lb=

Full report(PDF) (http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_rpt.pdf)
Questionnaire with Findings, Methodology (PDF) (http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_quaire.pdf)

Leftist trash source.:rolleyes:

txradioguy
12-18-2010, 08:35 AM

Yup. The Libtard would have had more credibility posting from alternet or blogspot.

lacarnut
12-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Right. Now, I bet dip-shits like Wee Wee believe the electorate was well informed when they voted for the Magic Negro who happens to be an incompetent left wing boob.

m00
12-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Right. Now, I bet dip-shits like Wee Wee believe the electorate was well informed when they voted for the Magic Negro who happens to be an incompetent left wing boob.

The were well informed. Unfortunately, way too much of the electorate are also incompetent left wing boobs.

Wei Wu Wei
12-19-2010, 02:03 PM

The source doesn't matter when the methodology and sources are all cited.

That's why I provided them.

If a scientist hands a paper to a moron to deliver, the facts on the paper don't suddenly become invalid because a moron presents it. C'mon now.

AmPat
12-19-2010, 05:14 PM
The source doesn't matter when the methodology and sources are all cited.

That's why I provided them.

If a scientist hands a paper to a moron to deliver, the facts on the paper don't suddenly become invalid because a moron presents it. C'mon now.

I think he's trying to tell you the fevered musings of a moron published by idiots, delivered by a DUmmy is trash.:cool: