PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Executes Man Using New Drug Mix

megimoo
12-17-2010, 02:17 AM
The US state of Oklahoma has executed a convicted murderer using a drug combination that includes a sedative commonly used to euthanise animals, after a nationwide shortage of a key ingredient forced the state to tinker with the usual formula.

John David Duty was pronounced dead at 6.18pm local time on Thursday (1118 AEDT Friday) at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary.

The 58-year-old, who was sentenced to die for strangling his cellmate nearly a decade ago, is believed to be the first person in the United States whose execution included the use of pentobarbital.

Duty and two other death-row inmates had challenged the state's decision to use pentobarbital, arguing it could be inhumane because a person could be paralysed but still aware when a painful third drug is administered to stop the heart.

"Their Next argument will be that the new drug makes them Unaware that they are in pain !"

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8184932

NJCardFan
12-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Funny how they talk about how much these drugs cost when a bullet doesn't cost a fraction of what a lethal injection costs. One right between the eyes should be all that it takes.

Gingersnap
12-17-2010, 12:35 PM
If it's good enough for Waggers, it's good enough for Johnny.

PoliCon
12-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Funny how they talk about how much these drugs cost when a bullet doesn't cost a fraction of what a lethal injection costs. One right between the eyes should be all that it takes.

But But BUT! they might feel some pain! Never mind that most of them who are facing the death penalty are there for inflicting MASSIVE physical pain to their victims and emotional pain to the victims families. . . .:rolleyes: I'm all for hanging. Rope can be reused unlike bullets. :p

NJCardFan
12-17-2010, 01:13 PM
But But BUT! they might feel some pain! Never mind that most of them who are facing the death penalty are there for inflicting MASSIVE physical pain to their victims and emotional pain to the victims families. . . .:rolleyes: I'm all for hanging. Rope can be reused unlike bullets. :p

While I agree with you in principle, as a civilized society we still must uphold the 8th Amendment.

PoliCon
12-17-2010, 01:26 PM
While I agree with you in principle, as a civilized society we still must uphold the 8th Amendment.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

How is hanging either cruel or unusual? Being hanged, drawn, and quartered would be cruel and unusual . . . . but hanging was the standard form of execution for the bulk of our history . . . .

Kay
12-17-2010, 11:11 PM
I was always a fan of the

http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/fighting0043.gif

NJCardFan
12-17-2010, 11:44 PM
I was always a fan of the

http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/fighting0043.gif

There's a video on Youtube of the last public use of the guillotine in France.

m00
12-18-2010, 01:01 AM

I'd opt for firing squad. It's supposed to be the most humane.

BadCat
12-18-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm against execution by lethal injection.

Until they start using Drano and battery acid in the syringes.

Rockntractor
12-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm against execution by lethal injection.

Until they start using Drano and battery acid in the syringes.

Around here they could sell tickets to participate in a firing squad.