PDA

View Full Version : This is Unreal

m00
12-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Obama reads his children's book to 2nd graders

Usually, big-name authors plug their books on a nationwide book tour. President Barack Obama took a lower-key approach Friday, reading selections from his new children's book to a group of delighted second-graders in suburban Virginia.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2013702821_apusobamabook.html

m00
12-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I mean, is this guy actually president? He writes a children's book and then goes on a book tour to promote it? During one of our worst economic disasters?

Bush: Reads a book to children during a national crisis that we were unable to predict
Obama: Promotes a children's book that he wrote during a national crisis that he created

Adam Wood
12-18-2010, 03:00 PM
At least it's only Virginia instead of him rounding up Air Force One and flying out to California to spend 20 minutes reading to school kids.

Hey, you have to count your blessings where you can find them. :p

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-18-2010, 05:30 PM
I mean, is this guy actually president? He writes a children's book and then goes on a book tour to promote it? During one of our worst economic disasters?

Bush: Reads a book to children during a national crisis that we were unable to predict
Obama: Promotes a children's book that he wrote during a national crisis that he created

Wasn't the economy bad since 2007, before Obama took office?

Adam Wood
12-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Wasn't the economy bad since 2007, before Obama took office?Not really, no.

If you were to listen to the MSM or folks like the DUmmies at the time, the economy was absolutely awful from January 20, 2001 right through to now. In reality, the economy was humming along just fine from late 2002 through until mid-2008. Some parts of the economy were hurting earlier, as the housing bubble started to collapse on itself, but that was not crushing the economy as a whole. Then Bush really blew it with the bailouts and generally scaring the shit out of the whole country by talking about things like "financial system collapse," which was never really a threat. Never, ever underestimate the power of uncertainty to cause an economy to take a nose-dive into the crapper. And that's precisely what happened when Obama took the reins: everyone woke up from the election with a tremendous hangover and had a great big "oh, shit" moment and panicked.

It's that uncertainty that has kept us in this situation since around August of '08. Probably most paramount of these uncertainties has been the fear of increasing taxes. Everyone knew it was coming, and no one knew if there was any way to stop it. And then there's things like regulatory uncertainty, plus things like energy uncertainty and monetary policy uncertainty (e.g. "How bad will inflation be? How will the dollar stack up against the Euro?" etc.), and some serious debt uncertainty (a trillion dollars in failulous spending is pretty much solely responsible for this). But, some certainty in tax policy is a big step in the right direction, and I suspect that you'll see the beginnings of an up-tick in economic activity pretty much immediately after the first of the year.

Speedy
12-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Wasn't the economy bad since 2007, before Obama took office?

And it is rebounding at a record since Barky Obami took office, hasn't it?

patriot45
12-18-2010, 10:07 PM

And the House and Senate were in whose hands!!? Good job libs.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-18-2010, 11:43 PM

Never said that. But there's a difference between CREATING a problem and solving it poorly.

m00
12-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Never said that. But there's a difference between CREATING a problem and solving it poorly.

Well, at what point does Obama have to own up to some responsibility? I can buy that Bush was responsible for the immediate downturn when Obama took office - mostly due to the collapse of the housing sector and Bush's signing of TARP. But Obama had his own pet bailouts, and those chickens are roosting right now.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Well, at what point does Obama have to own up to some responsibility? I can buy that Bush was responsible for the immediate downturn when Obama took office - mostly due to the collapse of the housing sector and Bush's signing of TARP. But Obama had his own pet bailouts, and those chickens are roosting right now.

I don't even blame Bush for it....
I'd have to blame the lenders and those like Barney Frank and my soon-to-be Governor. I'm not an economist, but I have heard many say without TARP things actually might be worse, but like I said, I'm not good on economics so I don't know.
Who knows, maybe in another year all will be fine. I mean the Carter-Reagan recession lasted from around 1978-1983.

m00
12-19-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't even blame Bush for it....
I'd have to blame the lenders and those like Barney Frank and my soon-to-be Governor. I'm not an economist, but I have heard many say without TARP things actually might be worse, but like I said, I'm not good on economics so I don't know.

Well Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were under pressure from the Federal Government to take on more risk than they should. It was a huge mess, because the risk they took on was even riskier due to new monetary instruments that repackaged debt as assets. Which is insane when you think about it.

But anyway, I can blame Bush for signing TARP into law because it showed he wasn't as free market as he had always claimed. When push came to shove, he sided with ruling class. Who do you think TARPed benefited most? It certainly wasn't the taxpayer, who forked over billions. It certainly wasn't homeowners, who are still in a really stupid bind. It was the banks... the same banks that now refuse to loan money, which these days is their only legitimate purpose considering the sweetheart deal they have with the Federal Reserve.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-19-2010, 12:14 AM

Well Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were under pressure from the Federal Government to take on more risk than they should. It was a huge mess, because the risk they took on was even riskier due to new monetary instruments that repackaged debt as assets. Which is insane when you think about it.

But anyway, I can blame Bush for signing TARP into law because it showed he wasn't as free market as he had always claimed. When push came to shove, he sided with ruling class. Who do you think TARPed benefited most? It certainly wasn't the taxpayer, who forked over billions. It certainly wasn't homeowners, who are still in a really stupid bind. It was the banks... the same banks that now refuse to loan money, which these days is their only legitimate purpose considering the sweetheart deal they have with the Federal Reserve.

Couldn't it have hurt regular people, taxpayers, etc, if the banks collapsed?

Rockntractor
12-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Couldn't it have hurt regular people, taxpayers, etc, if the banks collapsed?

FDIC: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-19-2010, 12:20 AM
FDIC: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation

Ah ok. My bad, as they say.
Though I had seen some people wanting to get rid of the FDIC...

Rockntractor
12-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Ah ok. My bad, as they say.
Though I had seen some people wanting to get rid of the FDIC...

I agreed when they doubled it to 200,000.00 a couple years ago, 100,000 was too low.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-19-2010, 12:26 AM
You lost me lol. I told you guys I was dumb when it comes to financial issues...

Rockntractor
12-19-2010, 12:28 AM
You lost me lol. I told you guys I was dumb when it comes to financial issues...
It may have been part of the first bailout , but early on they increased the payout for insured deposits from 100,000 to 200,000.

Adam Wood
12-19-2010, 01:34 AM
You lost me lol. I told you guys I was dumb when it comes to financial issues...For a long time (couple of decades), if you deposited money in a bank, the federal government has backed the deposit against not only things like bank failures (think collapsing of banks during the Depression) but also against things like bank robbery, but the limits of that liability has been $100K.

You could go to pretty much any bank (as opposed to a credit union or a savings and loan, which have separate insurance policies) and see this on the door somewhere:

http://i55.tinypic.com/98tzcg.jpg

They changed that to $200K (actually, I thought it was $250K, but no matter). No matter what, for 99.99% of everyone who put their savings in the bank, they wouldn't have actually lost a nickel should that particular bank have failed. Practically no one single person has over $100K in an account at any given time. Maybe for a day or two, but most folks with those kinds of liquid assets have them in other investments, which means a bank failure would be relatively meaningless.

One way or another, practically no one actually keeps that kind of money in a bank account for any sizable amount of time (people; businesses are a different story, but that's really not relevant here). Hence, had some of the banks bought the farm, people had backing. They might have had to wait 2 or 3 days at the most to get to large sums of money, but they wouldn't have starved in the short term due to some sort of bank failure.

So the answer at the end of the day is no, no "little people" would have been hurt by any allegedly impending bank failures. They might have been slightly inconvenienced for a couple of days, at the worst, but they wouldn't have been wiped out or anything remotely of the sort. And this is one of those places where Bush seriously blew it. Obama blew it ten thousand times as big, but Bush opened the door, so he does indeed deserve blame for it here.

PoliCon
12-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Did Billy Ayers ghost write this book for him as well?

FeebMaster
12-19-2010, 01:52 AM
So you guys want him out pushing for more entitlement programs or something?

I think he should make reading to second graders a daily activity.

m00
12-19-2010, 01:54 AM

Well, if he gets to indoctrinate children, then we'll pay for that when they hit voting age.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Did Billy Ayers ghost write this book for him as well?

You know, one of the "American heroes" praised in the book is none other than Sitting Bull. Yes, out of all the major Native American figures he could've picked, he picked one who fought against and killed a US General.

This is his entry on Sitting Bull, from the book:

"Sitting Bull was a Sioux medicine man
who healed broken hearts and broken promises.
It is fine that we are different, he said.
“For peace, it is not necessary for eagles to be crows.”
Though he was put in prison,
his spirit soared free on the plains,
and his wisdom
touched the generations."

Adam Wood
12-19-2010, 01:56 AM

I think he should make reading to second graders a daily activity.No, I'm just keeping myself happy with the idea that he's not burning up 16,000 lbs. of Jet A on my nickel to sell books 5000 miles away from Pennsylvania Avenue. Given the choice, I'd much rather see 50 gallons of diesel and 87-octane burned up to get to Alexandria or where ever instead of the alternative, since he has such a propensity to hop the jet and burn up the skies over getting Michele some cheesecake from Navy Pier.

FeebMaster
12-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Well, if he gets to indoctrinate children, then we'll pay for that when they hit voting age.

It's a public school. They're probably already lost.

No, I'm just keeping myself happy with the idea that he's not burning up 16,000 lbs. of Jet A on my nickel to sell books 5000 miles away from Pennsylvania Avenue. Given the choice, I'd much rather see 50 gallons of diesel and 87-octane burned up to get to Alexandria or where ever instead of the alternative, since he has such a propensity to hop the jet and burn up the skies over getting Michele some cheesecake from Navy Pier.

Granted, but jet fuel is still cheap compared to health care or even more unemployment or whatever else he dreams up next.

Adam Wood
12-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Granted, but jet fuel is still cheap compared to health care or even more unemployment or whatever else he dreams up next.True, but I've been having a hard time making that un-happen lately, so I'm busying myself with general damage control at the moment until a better opportunity presents itself.

Had I my 'druthers, I would have had the GOP trade DADT for keeping the tax rates low. Would have quashed the rest of this lame duck session if they had done so, plus dis-arming the Left of one of their biggest complaints. But they decided to pay people to not work for another year instead. Certainly not my choice, though I did my best to throw my own bum out this time around.

AmPat
12-19-2010, 09:47 AM

I agree. Finally O Blah Blah is engaged in something in which he isn't completely incompetent.

If this is what keeps him away from destroying my freedom and looting my wallet, let him read.

Wei Wu Wei
12-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Never, ever underestimate the power of uncertainty to cause an economy to take a nose-dive into the crapper. And that's precisely what happened when Obama took the reins: everyone woke up from the election with a tremendous hangover and had a great big "oh, shit" moment and panicked.

you are projecting a lot.

lots about uncertainty and anxiety. deal with it, that's life.

Adam Wood
12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
you are projecting a lot.I'm projecting nothing. I'm pointing out reality.

lots about uncertainty and anxiety. deal with it, that's life.That's precisely what businesses are doing: dealing with it. And the way to deal with uncertainty when you run a business is you circle the wagons, don't hire new people, and protect your assets.

Outraged
12-19-2010, 03:11 PM
I agree with those who think this is a good activity for Obama to do. It wouldn't come off nearly as narcissistic or shallow if he was reading anything but his own book, but this is Obama we're talking about here.