PDA

View Full Version : Florida Smoked Fish Dip

megimoo
12-19-2010, 09:40 PM
South Florida Smoked Fish Dip

Smoked fish dip is a an old school Florida tradition. If the rumors are true, S. Florida was once dotted with smoked fish huts that existed soley for the purpose of smoking fish and selling fish dip. My neighbor Danís family used to own one of these fish smokiní shacks until about 30 years ago so he now does his fish smoking in his back yard. Lucky me, about once a month he brings over smoked mullet, marlin and sailfish which make wonderful fish dip. Scott calls my dip ďcrackĒ because it is that good and addicting. My recipe is a derivation of Danís family recipe.

Keep in mind that if you donít have these types of smoked fish available (marlin, sailfish, mullet) that you can substitute other kinds of smoked fish you can find at your local seafood shop.

Ingredients:

* 6-8 ounces smoked fish, skin remonved, meat chopped in coarsely (so as not to burn out the motor on your food processor!)
* 1/2 block neufchatel cream cheese (neufchatel is lower in fat and you canít tell the difference in this recipe)
* 2 jalapenos
* juice of one lime
* 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
* 1/4 cup light mayo (or less, depending on how wet your mixture is and how well it is blending)
* salt, pepper to taste

Puree ingredients in a food processor until well blended. I like to make mine almost whipped so as to easily spread on crackers.

This dip is so good, you may eat the whole batch in one sitting! Enjoy!

Hawkgirl
12-20-2010, 12:00 PM
This sounds similar to a recipe my friend at work makes. He is a fisherman and he and his friend smoke their catch on a regular basis. He brought his dip to our Christmas party last year...OMG...it was to die for.

I am going to try this recipe. Our local jewish deli sells smoked fish.:D