PDA

View Full Version : California Mountains Face Crushing Snowfall

Gingersnap
12-20-2010, 12:46 PM
California Mountains Face Crushing Snowfall
Katie Storbeck
By Katie Storbeck, Meteorologist
Dec 19, 2010; 11:16 AM ET

A stormy weather pattern has settled in over the West, and California will endure the harshest conditions well into this week. While rain drenches much of the state, heavy snow will continue to pile up in the mountains.

Snowfall totals in parts of the Sierra Nevada reached 2-5 feet at many locations through Sunday afternoon.

Another 1 to 3 feet of snow can be expected in these areas through Monday night.

This means that storm totals will reach as much as 6 to 8 feet of snow, with locally higher amounts in some of the peaks above 6,000 feet.

On top of Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort, at an elevation of around 11,000 feet, 9 feet of snow were measured Sunday morning!

At the base of Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort, at an elevation of around 8,000 feet, 6.5 feet of snow were measured. The all-time yearly snowfall record at the base is 139 inches, and the snowfall through Sunday morning brought the snowfall to 107 inches for this year so far.

Accuweather (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/43221/california-mountains-face-crus.asp)

Gingersnap
12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Now the Divide is gonna get it - 8 feet predicted. Hah, hah! My vacation starts next week! :D

megimoo
12-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Now the Divide is gonna get it - 8 feet predicted. Hah, hah! My vacation starts next week! :DStart the soup and sourdough !

Gingersnap
12-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Start the soup and sourdough !

I've got both but I'd rather get a taste of that champagne powder. I can get to half a dozen ski areas in under an hour. I can skip the resorts altogether and hit the park trails in 20 minutes. :)

Rockntractor
12-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Now the Divide is gonna get it - 8 feet predicted. Hah, hah! My vacation starts next week! :D

Aren't your bones getting kind of brittle to chance that?

Gingersnap
12-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Aren't your bones getting kind of brittle to chance that?

Nah, I ski cross country most of the time. :p

Rockntractor
12-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Nah, I ski cross country most of the time. :p

Okay, that's pretty safe.

PoliCon
12-20-2010, 09:50 PM
SNOW! . . . . in the mountains , , , in winter??? :eek: what will it be next? Heatwaves in the desert?? You people better get your acts in order before global war- I mean: global CLIMATE change kills us all!!! :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
12-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Okay, that's pretty safe.

Yes, skiing 10 or 15 miles (some uphill) in frigid conditions with the ever present possibility of avalanches and random elk attacks is about this poor little old lady can take these days. :p