PDA

View Full Version : mac or pc and why?

Zafod
12-22-2010, 03:06 PM
lets hear it people.

txradioguy
12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Mac. They simply work better. And that comes from someone who started when you had to boot a computer with a DOS floppy disk just to get it going.

The operating system is better. You can actually own a Mac longer without it feeling slower or bogging down because of software upgrades etc.

Gaming...internet....photo/video editing DVD authoring etc. There is only one thing I can think of that Windows can do better (for now) and that is handle the AKO website. And for that I keep a Windows partition on my MacBook Pro.

Which by the way runs faster on my Mac than any Windows machine I've ever used.

Zafod
12-22-2010, 03:34 PM
have not heard anything new there.

Also have not heard anything worth wild.

Gaming? really? lol

anyway I will wait to hear what others say.....

Zafod
12-22-2010, 04:38 PM
bump

Rockntractor
12-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Macs are good for people that don't understand computers.

djones520
12-22-2010, 04:44 PM
How did Darkhelm put it? "Because Mac is dumb." Or something like that... :D

And for gaming Mac's are the worst choice. Just about all games are designed for PC's, and then kit bashed to get to work on Mac's.

Zafod
12-22-2010, 04:44 PM

lmao

Zafod
12-22-2010, 04:45 PM
How did Darkhelm put it? "Because Mac is dumb." Or something like that... :D

And for gaming Mac's are the worst choice. Just about all games are designed for PC's, and then kit bashed to get to work on Mac's.

ding ding ding!!!

if macs are so great why is it most programers use a PC ?

txradioguy
12-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Gaming? really? lol

Yes gaming. The MacBook Pro I'm using has two video chipsets...the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M and the GeForce 9600M GT. One is shared memory access to save battery life and the other is a dedicated card with it's own 256mb of memory.

The graphics for gaming are awesome.

You say you haven't heard anything new. What exactly are you wanting to know about Macs? That might help people give you the answers you are looking for.

txradioguy
12-22-2010, 04:46 PM

Umm...I used to build my own Windows machines.:mad:

Rockntractor
12-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Umm...I used to build my own Windows machines.:mad:

Changed a lot since CE haven't they?:D

Zafod
12-22-2010, 04:49 PM
I want to know how the OS is better? How is the hardware any better on a mac then a PC?

All I can tell (and I have worked with both for a very very long time) is Macs cost more and because of that people inherently think they are better.

Novaheart
12-22-2010, 04:50 PM
ding ding ding!!!

if macs are so great why is it most programers use a PC ?

McDonalds is the #1 restaurant chain in the world with 58 million customers a day. It must be the best food.

Zafod
I have to say windows 7 runs circles around the what is it now? 11th version of mac....

and the fact that mac OS is nothing but a locked out shitty version of lunux is funny as hell......

djones520
I want to know how the OS is better? How is the hardware any better on a mac then a PC?

All I can tell (and I have worked with both for a very very long time) is Macs cost more and because of that people inherently think they are better.

From what I understand, their safer from virus's and stuffs, simply because most people who write that code don't bother their times with Mac's.

Rockntractor
12-22-2010, 04:51 PM

I switched three of my laptops over to 7 ultimate and I'm very happy with their performance.

Zafod
McDonalds is the #1 restaurant chain in the world with 58 million customers a day. It must be the best food.

not even close in a reasonable comparison response but thanks for playing...

lamers

Novaheart
From what I understand, their safer from virus's and stuffs, simply because most people who write that code don't bother their times with Mac's.

Either that or the people designing viruses and stuff are macusers.

Zafod
12-22-2010, 04:52 PM

but macs have more holes than any PC out there. hacks dont write code because macs are like what? 8% of the market?

txradioguy
Changed a lot since CE haven't they?:D

LOL! I started with Windows for Workgroups.

Straight DOS on my Epson Equity 1 before that.

Ahhh the days of Word Perfect 4. for DOS.

Zafod
Either that or the people designing viruses and stuff are macusers.

the stupid in this is chocking me.

you have any idea what you are talking about?

Zafod
12-22-2010, 04:53 PM

ah workgroups. Remember when ISDN was the shit?

Rockntractor
12-22-2010, 04:55 PM

I actually started with apple basic on the first machines apple made, I like windows machines because like you mentioned you can build them your self. I run mostly dualcore laptops now, I'd like to get an I7 quad.

Novaheart
12-22-2010, 04:58 PM
not even close in a reasonable comparison response but thanks for playing...

lamers

Well what do you expect from someone who doesn't understand computers?
Of course, I'm also someone who goes out and buys a printer, plugs it in and it works with no bullshit. I'm also someone who has never re-installed the software on his computer because he got a blue screen of death, never lost his hard drive, never paid for a cloud server for back up, doesn't use Time Machine but is considering it especially as he is tempting fate with a post like this.

I'm a person who get calls from Windows people, who for some reason assume that a Mac user must know why their Windows machine can't find the scanner.

I'm a person who can tell when someone is using the vidcam on a windows computer because the image sucks.

I'm a person whose 83 year old mother was working with DOD computers when most people weren't even spooge yet, and she loves her eMac (which still works) which replaced her Grape imac (which still works) which she is about to replace with an iMac so she can videoconference with the grandkids.

Zafod
12-22-2010, 04:58 PM
I actually started with apple basic on the first machines apple made, I like windows machines because like you mentioned you can build them your self. I run mostly dualcore laptops now, I'd like to get an I7 quad.

My fiance is a analyst for intel. She has been telling me a little about these new 6 core i line processors and how they will be comming down in price. Im like a kid waiting to go to disneyland.

txradioguy
12-22-2010, 04:59 PM
I have to say windows 7 runs circles around the what is it now? 11th version of mac....

I've got Win 7 Ultimate on my Bootcamp partition.

I don't see whats so great about it. Unless you're more fascinated by totally useless bling and bloatware.

and the fact that mac OS is nothing but a locked out shitty version of lunux is funny as hell......

You should REALLY study up and not take what bitter jealous Windows folks tell you about Mac.

How about almost 5 straight years of ZERO instances of the blue screen of death.

but macs have more holes than any PC out there. hacks dont write code because macs are like what? 8% of the market?

No software is perfect. Even Linux that so may people say is the end all be all of Operating Systems.

And any person who uses a computer and has half a brain...uses some kind of Firewall...anti-virus...anti-phishing software no matter what OS they use.

The only reason Apple has such a small amount of the market is that they chose not to whore out their product to every no name computer maker.

Keeping it in house has meant a better quality product.

You'll never see Apple offering to load a BTO Mac with the PREVIOUS version of the OS becuse the current one is such crap.

Zafod
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Well what do you expect from someone who doesn't understand computers?
Of course, I'm also someone who goes out and buys a printer, plugs it in and it works with no bullshit. I'm also someone who has never re-installed the software on his computer because he got a blue screen of death, never lost his hard drive, never paid for a cloud server for back up, doesn't use Time Machine but is considering it especially as he is tempting fate with a post like this.

I'm a person who get calls from Windows people, who for some reason assume that a Mac user must know why their Windows machine can't find the scanner.

I'm a person who can tell when someone is using the vidcam on a windows computer because the image sucks.

I'm a person whose 83 year old mother was working with DOD computers when most people weren't even spooge yet, and she loves her eMac (which still works) which replaced her Grape imac (which still works) which she is about to replace with an iMac so she can videoconference with the grandkids.

You do understand that a mac is really a pc? and a shitty linux os loaded one to boot?

Mac stopped being mac when RISQ was ditched.

txradioguy
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
ah workgroups. Remember when ISDN was the shit?

And it would cost you about a grand a month for a dedicated line into your house.

Hell I was happy when I was able to move up from 28.8 to 33.6!

Remember the days of AOL version 2.0? When they were sending out the floppy discs like junk mail?

Rockntractor
12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
My fiance is a analyst for intel. She has been telling me a little about these new 6 core i line processors and how they will be comming down in price. Im like a kid waiting to go to disneyland.
Those are for desk tops and would be nice, I want a quad core laptop because the largest share of my use is on the road.

Novaheart
12-22-2010, 05:07 PM
You do understand that a mac is really a pc? and a shitty linux os loaded one to boot?

Mac stopped being mac when RISQ was ditched.

Apple
Nikon
Toyota
Sony

These are a few of my favorite things. Some people like cashmere sweaters. Do what makes you happy.

Rockntractor
12-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Apple
Nikon
Toyota
Sony

These are a few of my favorite things. Some people like cashmere sweaters. Do what makes you happy.

Toyota
Ford trucks, T-birds
Samsung
Canon

Zafod
12-22-2010, 05:10 PM

I don't see whats so great about it. Unless you're more fascinated by totally useless bling and bloatware. Nope wrong. I like the fact that the ntfs is backward compatable with every version out there.

You should REALLY study up and not take what bitter jealous Windows folks tell you about Mac.I have bud. its linux no matter what you want to think.

Tell me this? does the DOD use mac? lol

How about almost 5 straight years of ZERO instances of the blue screen of death.
I have yet to see the "blue screen of death" on any machine I have worked with. I have yet to have any windows after 2000 crash ever!!!

Zafod
12-22-2010, 05:11 PM
And it would cost you about a grand a month for a dedicated line into your house.

Hell I was happy when I was able to move up from 28.8 to 33.6!

Remember the days of AOL version 2.0? When they were sending out the floppy discs like junk mail?

yup but I used it at the office. Man those were fun days.

I remember having a cow when I got hooked up to my first T1

txradioguy
12-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Nope wrong. I like the fact that the ntfs is backward compatable with every version out there.

Mac can also read FAT32 and NTFS. I have to swap files between my personal MacBook I took to Afghanistan and the DoD Winboxes.

I have bud. its linux no matter what you want to think.

It's actually Unix.

Tell me this? does the DOD use mac? lol

Yes as a matter of fact we do. AFN has used mac based AVID editors for years.

Two years ago DoD released a Gold Master Disc of OS X.

Army Public Affairs editing kits now come with 15" Mac Book Pros.

I have yet to see the "blue screen of death" on any machine I have worked with. I have yet to have any windows after 2000 crash ever!!!

Then you must have gone straight from NT 4 to 7.

I've seen the BSoD on every Win-based machine I've ever used. '95...ME...XP...you name it.

Zafod
12-22-2010, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=Zafod;349202]Nope wrong. I like the fact that the ntfs is backward compatable with every version out there.[quote]

Mac can also read FAT32 and NTFS. I have to swap files between my personal MacBook I took to Afghanistan and the DoD Winboxes.

It's actually Unix.

Yes as a matter of fact we do. AFN has used mac based AVID editors for years.

Two years ago DoD released a Gold Master Disc of OS X.

Army Public Affairs editing kits now come with 15" Mac Book Pros.

Then you must have gone straight from NT 4 to 7.

I've seen the BSoD on every Win-based machine I've ever used. '95...ME...XP...you name it.

ah well again I am not going to win you over the same as you wont win me over.

I just refuse to pay 4 times as much for the same thing. Plus I like the freedom.

I will say this like I did elsewhere, fuck iphone :p

Zafod
12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
and for the record, I have built from 98 through 7.

no blue screen of death ever.

I have seen plenty of the colorwheel of death in my day :D

Zafod
12-22-2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.mac-sucks.com/switch_why.php

lol

Novaheart
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=txradioguy;349207][QUOTE=Zafod;349202]Nope wrong. I like the fact that the ntfs is backward compatable with every version out there.

ah well again I am not going to win you over the same as you wont win me over.

I just refuse to pay 4 times as much for the same thing. Plus I like the freedom.

I will say this like I did elsewhere, fuck iphone :p

It isn't four times as much. Yes, the cheapest macbook is four times as much as the cheapest PC laptop but that's not apples to apples.

If you actually sit down with a paper and pen, as I did before buying this macbook about two years ago, using the configs available from Bestbuy compared to the configs available from Macconnection what you end up with is the $1100-$1300 Macbook vs a similarly appointed Sony Vaio coming in for about $100 less.

txradioguy
12-22-2010, 05:49 PM
http://www.mac-sucks.com/switch_why.php

lol

15 Reasons why Macs are still better than Windows PC's

http://apcmag.com/15_reasons_macs_are_still_better_than_windows.htm

Rockntractor
12-22-2010, 05:50 PM

You did notice that Nova is arguing for your side.

Zafod
12-22-2010, 05:55 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6553260189868317794#

Zafod
12-22-2010, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=Zafod;349209][QUOTE=txradioguy;349207]

It isn't four times as much. Yes, the cheapest macbook is four times as much as the cheapest PC laptop but that's not apples to apples.

If you actually sit down with a paper and pen, as I did before buying this macbook about two years ago, using the configs available from Bestbuy compared to the configs available from Macconnection what you end up with is the $1100-$1300 Macbook vs a similarly appointed Sony Vaio coming in for about $100 less.

ok let me restate that. I can build a pc that will run circles around a powermac for 1/4th the price or lower.....

Novaheart
12-22-2010, 06:05 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6553260189868317794#

That was really funny when it came out, ten years ago.

Zafod
12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
That was really funny when it came out, ten years ago.

a little newer than that bub.

Zafod
12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
this is fun

Zafod
12-22-2010, 06:07 PM
still have yet to hear how a mac if better other than the standard talking points.....

Novaheart
12-22-2010, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=Novaheart;349220][QUOTE=Zafod;349209]

ok let me restate that. I can build a pc that will run circles around a powermac for 1/4th the price or lower.....

So which mac are you thinking about buying and trying to talk yourself out of?

Zafod
12-22-2010, 06:08 PM

I will double down on ya!

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/92605,32-reasons-why-pcs-are-better-than-macs.aspx

Zafod
12-22-2010, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=Zafod;349230][QUOTE=Novaheart;349220]

So which mac are you thinking about buying and trying to talk yourself out of?

none. I have a PC that I can crush anything out there with. Cost me a little under 500 bucks and the same specs on a powermac comes in at a little over 1800.00 without monitor....

Mobil laptops are of no concern to me. The most I do with a laptop is basic and I am plenty happy with my acer I spent less than 400.00 on.

My point is a mac is not better than a PC. Just different.

txradioguy
12-23-2010, 10:38 AM
still have yet to hear how a mac if better other than the standard talking points.....

It's been stated already. You just choose to hear them as talking points.

Faster.

Better quality components.

Superior OS.

Easier to troubleshoot any technical issues.

Just plain works better than Windows.

FBIGuy
12-23-2010, 02:44 PM
PC, because Macs are built by a company lead by a worthless, liberal piece of shit who thinks (like most liberals) that he knows what is good for everyone when he doesn't really have a clue what the common man wants or needs.

Then again, I do own an iPhone.

Rockntractor
12-23-2010, 03:34 PM
PC, because Macs are built by a company lead by a worthless, liberal piece of shit who thinks (like most liberals) that he knows what is good for everyone when he doesn't really have a clue what the common man wants or needs.

Then again, I do own an iPhone.

I have an old Apple stored in the shed that I plan on setting up outside and shooting with my .460 smith while video taping. We did that to an old CE machine a couple of years back using an AK-47.

Wei Wu Wei
12-23-2010, 04:54 PM
PC

they're much cheaper than macs and when you bring it home you can install linux on it so it runs even better

Rockntractor
12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
PC

they're much cheaper than macs and when you bring it home you can install linux on it so it runs even better

I like to play with linux on one machine, do you have windows 7 on anything yet?

hampshirebrit
12-23-2010, 05:29 PM

I don't see whats so great about it. Unless you're more fascinated by totally useless bling and bloatware.

Exactly.

Listen, you've heard it from a military man here, and txr is right. Mac eats PC. It's the natural order of things. I'm sorry to break it to you, but this is how Our Lord Jesus intended it.

Wait... you really think he would use a PC? :D:D:D No way.

This comment has been bought to you via a MacBookPro using Apple Iphone 4 internet tethering on a minimal signal from the middle of middle-nowhere.

Try doing that on a PC. The fucker would crash before you hit the commit button.

malloc
12-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I build my own rigs, so I'm a PC guy all the way. I can build performance rigs for gaming, media centers and development for a fraction of what an equivalent Mac will cost.

I'm a Linux engineer by trade, so most of my boxes run Linux, but I like games, so I have a Windows box for that. Face it, Macs don't game.

At work we've moved everything to Windows 7, and I've got to say, as a die hard Linux pro, I'm impressed. Windows 7 is certainly the most stable of the Windows family, and it's actually a performance improvement over XP in terms of application load times. Again, I only use Windows at work as a glorified terminal emulator to access the Linux back end, and as an OS to run Outlook on, and I only use it at home for gaming, so I'm far from a Windows expert.

This comment has been bought to you via a MacBookPro using Apple Iphone 4 internet tethering on a minimal signal from the middle of middle-nowhere.

Try doing that on a PC. The fucker would crash before you hit the commit button.

I tether both my Linux and Windows boxes with my G1 Android all the time and don't have problems what so ever, so I'm not really sure what you are driving at here.

Novaheart
12-23-2010, 05:44 PM
I have an old Apple stored in the shed that I plan on setting up outside and shooting with my .460 smith while video taping. We did that to an old CE machine a couple of years back using an AK-47.

Maybe you could set it to voice recognition, so as the bullet hits it would say, "Please repeat the command." in Bruce, of course.

hampshirebrit
12-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I can build performance rigs for gaming, media centers and development for a fraction of what an equivalent Mac will cost.

If you game, then you PC, and I won't disagree with you. I'm not particularly into gaming, but if I was, I would probably go for a high end home-built PC.

Apple fills all other requirements for me. No "are you sure/ please wait" bs for me.

Yes, OSX has annoyances of its own, but I put up with these on my own time.

I have to put up with M$ 9 thru 5. On my own time, I don't need or want any reminders.

Zafod
12-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Exactly.

Listen, you've heard it from a military man here, and txr is right. Mac eats PC. It's the natural order of things. I'm sorry to break it to you, but this is how Our Lord Jesus intended it.

Wait... you really think he would use a PC? :D:D:D No way.

you do know that I am also a "miltary man" ;) well i used to be before medical issues.

Zafod
12-23-2010, 09:56 PM
I build my own rigs, so I'm a PC guy all the way. I can build performance rigs for gaming, media centers and development for a fraction of what an equivalent Mac will cost.

I'm a Linux engineer by trade, so most of my boxes run Linux, but I like games, so I have a Windows box for that. Face it, Macs don't game.

At work we've moved everything to Windows 7, and I've got to say, as a die hard Linux pro, I'm impressed. Windows 7 is certainly the most stable of the Windows family, and it's actually a performance improvement over XP in terms of application load times. Again, I only use Windows at work as a glorified terminal emulator to access the Linux back end, and as an OS to run Outlook on, and I only use it at home for gaming, so I'm far from a Windows expert.

I tether both my Linux and Windows boxes with my G1 Android all the time and don't have problems what so ever, so I'm not really sure what you are driving at here.

you sir seam to be my only friend in the soul-less mac world :)

Zafod
12-23-2010, 09:58 PM
and I have been wirelessly tethered to my Evo 4g for a lot of my posts...

PoliCon
12-23-2010, 11:59 PM
PC. I get more bang for my buck and access to better software.

Wei Wu Wei
12-24-2010, 12:50 AM
I like to play with linux on one machine, do you have windows 7 on anything yet?

no i haven't tried 7 yet

txradioguy
12-24-2010, 05:26 AM
PC

You get what you pay for. I can run linux on my Mac...

txradioguy
12-24-2010, 05:42 AM

Bill Gates runs Apple?