PDA

View Full Version : Vaguely disturbing day...

Carol
12-22-2010, 09:53 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x57709)

PCIntern Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Dec-22-10 06:01 PM
Original message
Vaguely disturbing day...

So I have a couple teabaggers in the practice...one-on-one not bad sorts as you would expect, but my god, what effluvia emanates from their mouths...it's like someone put in the cassette tape and hit 'Play'...

Anyway, one of them arrived today, breathless, with a story (I'll paraphrase): Teabagger goes to the bank and has a sit-down with one of the personnel, an African-American(!) no less, and at the end of the transaction, the teabagger says to the bank employee, "Merry Christmas." At which point the bank employee says, "Thank you. You wouldn't believe what happened to me earlier today. I said "Merry Christmas" to a customer and he started shouting at me that he was an atheist and how dare I impose my religion on him and..." I'll leave out the rest - I'm sure you've heard it.

So I smiled and did my work - I don't comment much on this stuff either way anymore, there's no percentage in it...on the way out the teabagger repeated the story VERBATIM no fewer than three times to each staff member who was unfortunate enough to get in the way.

I told them that I didn't believe a word of it, and that it was probably the assignment for the day from GlennBeckCentral or similar "authority".So the leftist doesn't believe a "word of it"?

Yet on DU they have story after story about how they told off a "teabagger" or "Christianist" for daring to say "Merry Christmas" or something else equally as unoffensive simply because they don't agree with the sentiment

hlthe2b Donating Member (1000+ posts)
Wed Dec-22-10 06:07 PM
Response to Original message
1. I certainly hope the story is BS...

I find this whole ridiculous controversy on religious versus secular observance of December Holidays to be one big irritation. I think you are probably right about it being a RW "war on Christmas" meme. That said, I've certainly seen that level of militancy among a minority of atheists on DU. While I am agnostic myself, I find it hard not to enter into the fray to defend whichever side is being demonized. Live and let live.... :shrug:

left coaster Donating Member (859 posts) Wed Dec-22-10 06:11 PM
Response to Original message
3. hmm.. I have personally only ever encountered in your face

"Christians", and I use that term loosely.. rabid, confrontational atheists? Not so much.You haven't found the theology forum at du yet, have you?

SarasotaRepub
12-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Too Funny! :D

NJCardFan
12-22-2010, 10:43 PM
So I have a couple teabaggers in the practice...

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/commercials/2005/10/sony-bravia-balls-st.jpg

Dan D. Doty
12-23-2010, 12:12 AM
http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/commercials/2005/10/sony-bravia-balls-st.jpg

Ditto.

AmPat
12-23-2010, 08:33 AM
PCIntern Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Dec-22-10 06:01 PM
Original message
Vaguely disturbing day...

So
Essential element #1 of that liberal lie known as a bouncy tale; Begin Big Windy with the word "So."

I have a couple teabaggers in the practice....
Essential element #2, Add pejorative to describe political opponent.

one-on-one not bad sorts as you would expect,
Essential element #3 in bouncy; a self- declared demonstration of good hearted liberal.

but my god, what effluvia emanates from their mouths...it's like someone put in the cassette tape and hit 'Play'...Essential element #4 of bouncy; the inevitable walk it(good hearted liberal statement) back insult.

Next up is Element #4, The Tall Tale:

Anyway, one of them arrived today, breathless, with a story (I'll paraphrase): Teabagger goes to the bank and has a sit-down with one of the personnel, an African-American(!) no less???, and at the end of the transaction, the teabagger says to the bank employee, "Merry Christmas." At which point the bank employee says, "Thank you. You wouldn't believe what happened to me earlier today. I said "Merry Christmas" to a customer and he started shouting at me that he was an atheist:eek: and how dare I impose my religion on him and..." I'll leave out the rest - I'm sure you've heard it.

Now element 4 has a number of sub-elements contained within. A close look reveals breathelessness, outrage, disgust, RACISM, an imaginary insult to liberal philosophy, and any number of new or repeated pejoratives.

Element 5, the dismount; Liberals usually begin their dismount with a double back flip that has them landing squarely and victoriously on the "fundie, Conservative, Rethuglican, Et Al, superbly "sticking the landing on the Conservative's chest. Observe:

So I smiled and did my work - I don't comment much on this stuff either way anymore, there's no percentage in it...on the way out the teabagger repeated the story VERBATIM no fewer than three times to each staff member who was unfortunate enough to get in the way.

I told them that I didn't believe a word of it, and that it was probably the assignment for the day from GlennBeckCentral or similar "authority".
Now admittedly this is a lame example of a liberal dismount, but it does add another imagined tale, a gratuitous pejorative, and a chest thumping, self righteous public pronouncement designed to show intellectual and philosophical superiority.

The allusion to an "evil" higher authority and a reference to a hated Conservative talk show host are bonus points in the recipe of a truly predictable Bouncy.

NJCardFan
12-23-2010, 09:54 AM
The funny thing is, conservatives may get ideas and subjects to talk about from pundits, but you rarely, if ever, hear conservatives talk like they're reading from a playbook like liberals do. O'Reilly is good at pointing this out. For example, when Krauthammer called Obama the "comeback kid", O'Reilly showed clips from CBS, NBC, CNN, and MSNBC and each anchor , in reporting what Krauthammer said, parroted each other nearly verbatim. And it's funny how this idiot brought up Beck when one of Beck's favorite sayings is "do your own research". You never hear a liberal talking head say that.

Dan D. Doty
12-23-2010, 02:09 PM
AmPat good job :D great break down of bouncies.

NJ, you've shown me something I never noticed before; Moonbats don't ask others to research something on their own, but yet they go on and on about how informed and enlightened they are. But never t say what their source material is.

AmPat
12-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Thank you sir. I'm trying to master the art of the bouncy so that I may launch a series of canned-spammed, Conservative flavored Bouncies. I can't get the recipe just right though. Apparently the element of fantasy is available only to food stamp liberals.

Any Black market outlets out there?

hoplophobe
12-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Thank you sir. I'm trying to master the art of the bouncy so that I may launch a series of canned-spammed, Conservative flavored Bouncies. I can't get the recipe just right though. Apparently the element of fantasy is available only to food stamp liberals.

Any Black market outlets out there?

I think mad-libs has a format you can use. You just need to provide the nouns and whatnot.

Novaheart
12-24-2010, 02:25 PM
So the leftist doesn't believe a "word of it"?

Yet on DU they have story after story about how they told off a "teabagger" or "Christianist" for daring to say "Merry Christmas" or something else equally as unoffensive simply because they don't agree with the sentiment

You haven't found the theology forum at du yet, have you?

Well, I'm here to witness. I told a Salvation Amway bellringer to go to hell. She was harmless enough the first couple of times I had seen her, despite representing an organization that would rather cease charitable work than treat gay employees equally. But the third time I saw her she had become one of those who gets louder and more praiseful if you don't donate. So if you pass her by without speaking, and you are under no obligation to speak to beggars, she would yell "YOU HAVE A NICE CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS! "

So I said, 'Go to hell." Once she recovered from the shock (this is a very nice grocery store in a very nice area) she started yelling "HAPPY THANKSGIVING! MERRY CHRISTMAS! JESUS LOVES YOU!"

So I went back to her a couple of days later and calmly explained to her that the Salvation Army is a right wing hate group disguised as a charity and a church. She didn't believe me, but at least she has heard the word.

Novaheart
12-24-2010, 02:39 PM
The funny thing is, conservatives may get ideas and subjects to talk about from pundits, but you rarely, if ever, hear conservatives talk like they're reading from a playbook like liberals do.

I disagree. I listen to AM talk and FM talk, and I find the hosts and the callers on both to be obnoxious parrots.

While both AM con and FM lib talk tends to make me scream at the stupidity (I guess I'm just smarter than everyone else) the conservative talk does tend to have more actual fact conveyed in the speech from the hosts.

It's really hard to declare a winner in talk though. If I were for example to compare Rush Limbaugh to Amy Goodman I end up wanting to take a baseball bat to both of them. They both start off with facts, and then get to the maybes, and then the could happens, and then form their position based on the assumption that the could happen actually did happen. Even so, of the two Amy Goodman has the least potential for redemption. At least Limbaugh has a sense of humor.

djones520
12-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, I'm here to witness. I told a Salvation Amway bellringer to go to hell. She was harmless enough the first couple of times I had seen her, despite representing an organization that would rather cease charitable work than treat gay employees equally. But the third time I saw her she had become one of those who gets louder and more praiseful if you don't donate. So if you pass her by without speaking, and you are under no obligation to speak to beggars, she would yell "YOU HAVE A NICE CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS! "

So I said, 'Go to hell." Once she recovered from the shock (this is a very nice grocery store in a very nice area) she started yelling "HAPPY THANKSGIVING! MERRY CHRISTMAS! JESUS LOVES YOU!"

So I went back to her a couple of days later and calmly explained to her that the Salvation Army is a right wing hate group disguised as a charity and a church. She didn't believe me, but at least she has heard the word.

And Boyscouts of America won't accept me because I'm an atheist. Doesn't mean I tell them to go to hell whenever I see them.

It's a thing called having class. Which you do not.

Lager
12-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Does your particular political stance on homosexuality color every opinion of your life? Do you funnel every thought and attitude through that prism? If so, I feel bad for you. And yet I always see complaints voiced by liberals, that it's conservatives who are "obsessed" with sexual issues.

I'm sorry that the Salvation Army doesn't meet that "one" special piece of criteria that in your biased eyes make them worthy. However, most reasonable people agree they are an organization that does enormous good for members of society. They were one of the first organizations during Katrina providing assistance, and I can feel relatively assured that they didn't ask for proof of one's sexual orientation before providing help.

So although your actions might get you some kind of hero status on the du, here it doesn't amount to much. Perhaps you should redirect your prissy anger to where it could accomplish more good.

Zathras
12-24-2010, 04:01 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/HeroesAtWork/demotivational-poster-lion-facepaw.jpg

And while we're at it....

Apache
12-24-2010, 04:28 PM

OH! What a big man you are...:rolleyes:

CueSi
12-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Sorry.I'm sure you did that, but like alot of things, that's a dick move. It's like kicking a small child or shooting a tame caribou.

~QC