PDA

View Full Version : More and more, Wii and dance go hand in hand

Gingersnap
12-23-2010, 10:24 AM
More and more, Wii and dance go hand in hand

By Mike Snider, USA TODAY
So you think you can dance? There's a video game for you.

Actually, millions of Americans already have converted their game systems into dancing machines. How else to explain the success of games such as Just Dance 2?

A sequel to last year's Wii hit that has sold more than 2 million copies worldwide, Just Dance 2— with choreographed songs from artists such as Katy Perry and James Brown— has been among the 10 top-selling games the past two months, according to market tracking firm The NPD Group.

Just Dance 2 and Dance Central, a new Xbox 360 game from the creators of the Rock Band franchise, helped increase the number of music and dance games sold by 38% over last November, NPD says.

The best dancing games do an entertainment two-step: in party mode, the games let light-footed folks strut their stuff; as solitary experiences, wallflowers can work on their moves in privacy.

Just Dance games for the Wii require you to move the wireless remote properly as you dance along; Dance Central tracks your body movements using the Kinect hands-free control system.

"When you make the moves and the exact motions, and the console repeats it back to you in real-time without skipping a beat, that is a powerful sensation," says Scott Steinberg of consulting firm TechSavvy Global.

With sales of Just Dance 2 outpacing those of the original, Ubisoft hopes to capitalize even more on the dance trend with other releases Just Dance Kids ($30, all ages) and Michael Jackson: The Experience ($50, ages 10-up, for Wii; due in 2011 for PS3 and Xbox 360). "The dance category is exploding," says Ubisoft's Tony Key.

Other games stepping out:

•Zumba Fitness ($40 for PS3 and Wii, $50 for Xbox 360, all ages) transforms the Latin dance fitness program into a game experience for up to four players, and four more online. A fitness belt holds a Wii remote or Move controller or, on Xbox 360, the Kinect controller does the tracking.

•Dance Dance Revolution for the Wii ($90, all ages) lets you dance several ways, including with the Wii remote and nunchuk, with or without the traditional dance mat. DDR for the PS3 ($70, ages 10-up) brings your upper body into the action and, with the Move camera, puts your face in the game.

Excellent! This is exactly the kind of thing to get people off the couch.

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2010-12-23-dancegame23_ST_N.htm)

bijou
12-23-2010, 10:43 AM
I've just bought a Wii and Wii fit plus board, it's good fun and I'm certainly more likely to keep that up than to drag myself to a gym at various unsocial hours (my job means I can't sign up to regular classes easily).

Gingersnap
12-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I've just bought a Wii and Wii fit plus board, it's good fun and I'm certainly more likely to keep that up than to drag myself to a gym at various unsocial hours (my job means I can't sign up to regular classes easily).

I think this is a great idea. When the Wii first came out, the games and fitness offerings were pretty lame but now it seems like people are getting excited to write software for it. The big problem with so much in the fitness industry is that exercise is essentially boring or involves travel to a special facility.