PDA

View Full Version : UN to investigate treatment of jailed leaks suspect Bradley Manning

Carol
12-23-2010, 11:26 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=103x577620)

Joanne98 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Dec-23-10 11:44 AM
Original message
UN to investigate treatment of jailed leaks suspect Bradley Manning

The United Nations is investigating a complaint on behalf of Bradley Manning that he is being mistreated while held since May in US Marine Corps custody pending trial. Manning's supporters say that he is in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day; this could be construed as a form of torture. This month visitors reported that his mental and physical health was deteriorating.

http://www.opednews.com/Quicklink/UN-to-investigate-tre...
So, being in solitary confinement in a US prison for 23 hours a day might be "torture" but a woman in a Muslim country accused of "adultery" because she was raped who is caned 100 lashes, jailed and then stoned IS NOT "torture".

This is what the UN spends it's time on.

The UN is useless, and it's a waste of our money funding it.

We need to get out of it.

The liberals have no concern about the plight of women in Islamic nations.....except to equate Christians as just as bad as the Muslims when it comes to religion and how women and minorities are treated.

tabatha Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Thu Dec-23-10 11:45 AM
Response to Original message
1. I hope they can do something for him.

PoliCon
12-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Forgive my bluntness but . . .

FUCK THE UN and the horse it rode in on. And while we're at it - FUCK the idiots on the DU who think this 'poor boy' is being mistreated.

m00
12-23-2010, 11:39 PM

FUCK THE UN and the horse it rode in on. And while we're at it - FUCK the idiots on the DU who think this 'poor boy' is being mistreated.

I hope Obama isn't smart enough to figure out how to leverage this into signing our independence away to the UN.

Bleda
12-23-2010, 11:44 PM
As far as I know, we haven't surrendered our sovereignty to the UN, so all they can do is talk. They're not really a threat.

SarasotaRepub
12-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Yep, that about covers it. :D

AmPat
12-24-2010, 09:22 AM
+!+
I can't stand the UN. We need to leave them immediately. As in unfunded first then kick the useless pricks out of our country.

As for the traitor, he better learn to enjoy the fact he is breathing. He should be executed as soon as his trial is over.

Beefeater
12-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Seeing as their vaunted UN couldn't even save Tokyo from Godzilla, and that was with the help of Perry Mason too, I'm not concerned that they'll be able to do anything here either.

US out of the UN,
UN out of the US.

CueSi
12-24-2010, 11:43 AM
I hope Obama isn't smart enough to figure out how to leverage this into signing our independence away to the UN.

He may not be, but I'm sure someone in his clique is.

~QC

Novaheart
12-24-2010, 11:46 AM

I can't imagine what the complaint of the UN or the DU is. If Manning weren't in solitary for pretrial detention, he might well be brutalized.

Odd that the UN is concerned about Manning but they haven't lifted a finger for the Leavenworth 10.

NJCardFan
12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Soooo, they're only concerned with this one inmate? In maximum security prisons all over the country there are hundreds of thousands of inmates who are locked down 23 hours a day but this guy is the only one they're concerned with. It's pretty safe to say that their reasoning is pretty blatant.

djones520
12-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Soooo, they're only concerned with this one inmate? In maximum security prisons all over the country there are hundreds of thousands of inmates who are locked down 23 hours a day but this guy is the only one they're concerned with. It's pretty safe to say that their reasoning is pretty blatant.

While I know he's a military prisoner and that makes things differant, I am curious how many people are kept in solitary for this long before their trial.

Apache
12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
While I know he's a military prisoner and that makes things differant, I am curious how many people are kept in solitary for this long before their trial.

Fucker should count his blessings he's still breathing...

Novaheart
12-24-2010, 12:44 PM

Those other people have been convicted. I'm not saying that I agree, but that would be the obvious difference.

Having listened to "Free Speech Radio" it seems that there is some ongoing complaint about US prisons in general in this regard. One needs to consider that Amy Goodman and company tend to endorse the belief that our prisons are full of wrongfully convicted persons and political prisoners especially if they are ethnic.

gator
12-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I think Manning is a piece of shit and should probably be hung or shot. His traitorous act put my Army son and many other parentsí sons in danger.

However, nobody deserves be treated cruelly prior to trial. He has not been found guilty of anything yet. After he is found guilty then letís cook his ass but he should be treated humanely until then.

In fact or Constitution directs that he not be treated cruelly.

Wei Wu Wei
12-24-2010, 12:47 PM

I think it's because people in maximum security prisons have already been charged and convicted.

Detaining someone for a trial is one thing, but dishing out punishment beyond that primary detention seems like something that should be reserved for people who've already been through their trial.

edit looks like i was a bit late on this one

Apache
12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Those other people have been convicted. I'm not saying that I agree, but that would be the obvious difference.

Having listened to "Free Speech Radio" it seems that there is some ongoing complaint about US prisons in general in this regard. One needs to consider that Amy Goodman and company tend to endorse the belief that our prisons are full of wrongfully convicted persons and political prisoners especially if they are ethnic.

Simple fact is, he is there to save his candy-ass from being hog-tied to a light fixture...

Novaheart
12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I think it's because people in maximum security prisons have already been charged and convicted.

Detaining someone for a trial is one thing, but dishing out punishment beyond that primary detention seems like something that should be reserved for people who've already been through their trial.

He's a prison with men who have been convicted of going too far in defense of this country, in pursuit of terrorism, or eliminating the enemy. Let Manning's mommy get a picture of him with a black eye and the UN will be all over it.

djones520
12-24-2010, 01:21 PM

The military justice system is not the civilian justice system. We do not have the same rights as civilians do. Gator pointed out a couple posts up that the Constitution protects from things like this, but we as service members are not protected by the Bill of Rights. We do not have full use of our right of Free Speech for example.

We do have comparable rights, but those are granted by the UCMJ. The same UCMJ that makes this entirely legal. None of us have to be charged with anything to be held like this. It can simply be done on an order by a commanding officer with probable cause.

809. ART. 9. IMPOSITION OF RESTRAINT

(a) Arrest is the restraint of a person by an order, not imposed as a punishment for an offense, directing him to remain within certain specified limits. Confinement is the physical restraint of a person.

(b) An enlisted member may be ordered into arrest or confinement by any commissioned officer by an order, oral or written, delivered in person or through other persons subject to this chapter. A commanding officer may authorize warrant officers, petty officers, or noncommissioned officers to order enlisted members of his command or subject to his authority into arrest or confinement.

(c) A commissioned officer, a warrant officer, or a civilian subject to this chapter or to trial thereunder may be ordered into arrest or confinement only by a commanding officer to whose authority he is subject, by an order, oral or written, delivered in person or by another commissioned officer. The authority to order such persons into arrest or confinement may not be delegated.

(d) No person may be ordered into arrest or confinement except for probable cause.

(e) Nothing in this article limits the authority of persons authorized to apprehend offenders to secure the custody of an alleged offender until proper authority may be notified.

810. ART. 10. RESTRAINT OF PERSONS CHARGED WITH OFFENSES

Any person subject to this chapter charged with an offense under this chapter shall be ordered into arrest or confinement, as circumstances may require; but when charged only with an offense normally tried by a summary court-martial, he shall not ordinarily be placed in confinement. When any person subject to this chapter is placed in arrest or confinement prior to trial, immediate steps shall be taken to inform him of the specific wrong of which he is accused and to try him or to dismiss the charges and release him.

Now, the only issue there may be is with this.

813. ART. 13 PUNISHMENT PROHIBITED BEFORE TRIAL

No person, while being held for trial, may be subjected to punishment or penalty other than arrest or confinement upon the charges pending against him, nor shall the arrest or confinement imposed upon him be any more rigorous than the circumstances required to insure his presence, but he may be subjected to minor punishment during that period for infractions of discipline.

Is his confinement more rigorous then it needs to be? But that is something that should be argued by his Defender, not the UN.

txradioguy
12-24-2010, 01:28 PM
I can't imagine what the complaint of the UN or the DU is. If Manning weren't in solitary for pretrial detention, he might well be brutalized.

Odd that the UN is concerned about Manning but they haven't lifted a finger for the Leavenworth 10.

This whole silly complaint was brought to the attention of the U.N. by one of the myriad of anti-american groups that has turned this traitorous little POS into a poster child for their cause.

Back when he was first detained...AFTER he was in Quantico...his partner in treason Julian Assange claimed he was being held in a "Guantanamo style" prison in Kuwait.

Like the DUmmies...the U.N. and the anti-war asshats believe Manning should be given a medal for what he did.

txradioguy
12-24-2010, 01:30 PM

Honor among thieves. They are keeping him there for his protection.

PoliCon
12-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Fucker should count his blessings he's still breathing...

They should maybe take this human rights complaint to heart and move him into the general population. ;)

PoliCon
12-24-2010, 03:01 PM
I think Manning is a piece of shit and should probably be hung or shot. His traitorous act put my Army son and many other parentsí sons in danger.

However, nobody deserves be treated cruelly prior to trial. He has not been found guilty of anything yet. After he is found guilty then letís cook his ass but he should be treated humanely until then.

In fact or Constitution directs that he not be treated cruelly.

How is keeping him alive treating him cruelly? :confused:

PoliCon
12-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Is his confinement more rigorous then it needs to be? But that is something that should be argued by his Defender, not the UN.

And his defender is not going to raise the issue because that defender knows that isolation is the only think keeping this POS alive. In the general population he's a dead man walking.

Apache
12-24-2010, 03:10 PM
They should maybe take this human rights complaint to heart and move him into the general population. ;)

Yep. Guards won't ask, inmates won't tell...:cool: