PDA

View Full Version : School outed teen to parents, said it was ‘legally obligated’: lawsuit

Carol
12-23-2010, 11:44 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x63521)

kpete Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Dec-23-10 08:23 PM
Original message
School outed teen to parents, said it was ‘legally obligated’: lawsuit Updated at 10:02 PM

Source: Raw Story

School outed teen to parents, said it was ‘legally obligated’: lawsuit

By Daniel Tencer
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 -- 8:05 pm

Two softball coaches at a Texas high school are being sued after allegedly confining a teenaged girl in a locked room, forcing her to admit her sexuality, then outing her to her parents before ejecting her from the softball team.

The lawsuit states that the school district defended the actions by saying the teachers were "legally obligated" to inform the parents of the child's sexuality.

According to the suit (PDF) http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/22/CivRts.pdf filed in an east Texas federal court, in March of 2009 a junior at Kilgore High School -- identified only as "SW" -- was ordered to a meeting of the softball team. The coaches, named in the lawsuit as Rhonda Fletcher and Cassandra Newell, then dismissed everyone but SW, ordered her into an empty locker room, locked the door and confronted the teen about her sexuality.

"Fletcher asked SW if she was gay, and accused her of having a sexual relationship with another girl. She also claimed that SW was spreading gossip about this other girl being 'Coach Newell’s girlfriend," the lawsuit states.

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/school-outed-lesbian... /
The libs are outraged about this. Seems to me that the coaches were just in the liberals playbook.....it's better to be "out", and it's OK to "out" someone if you don't agree with them.

MichiganVote (1000+ posts) Thu Dec-23-10 08:29 PM
Response to Original message
1. How do people even begin to believe this is rational?

DeSwiss Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Dec-23-10 08:29 PM
2. K&R

:mad: Fire their asses!!!

Homer Wells Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Thu Dec-23-10 08:30 PM
3. DAMN!!!!! Just--DAMN!!! nt

Initech (1000+ posts) Thu Dec-23-10 10:28 PM
13. OMG... there are no words.
The thread ground to a screeching halt with this:

The Straight Story Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Dec-23-10 10:29 PM
14. Would it be ok if they outed the girls and they (the girls) were fundies? (nt)

And then there is this: (it's wonkette...take it for what it is worth)

link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x64177)

Tempest (1000+ posts) Thu Dec-23-10 11:27 PM
Original message
Is Lindsey Graham about to be outed?

http://wonkette.com/433064/loathsome-southern-dandy-lin...

Lindsey Graham, South Carolina’s favorite lifelong bachelor and former military prosecutor, is always reliably against homosexuals having any basic human rights in America because Lindsey’s a Republican, y’all. Anyway, famous outer-of-self-hating-queers Mike Rogers says he’s got pictures of one of Lindsey’s boy toys leaving Lindsey’s house. This would be SHOCKING because come on, everybody knows Republicans cannot be gay because Jesus did not make gays.

Mike Rogers says on his Twitter:

I wonder if Lindsey Graham knows I have pictures of a man who spent the night at his house. pls RT
– 10:57 AM Dec 18th

Just reached lawyer at home. Meeting set for Tues. on releasing pix of man who spent night at Lindsey Graham’s.
– 11:05 AM Dec 18th
They'll have all kinds of rationalizations about why it is OK to "out" one person but not another but it all comes down to their own warped sense of what is "just", "rational" and what serves their political purposes. "Outing" is "outing" no matter the rational, and it's either OK or it's not OK.

Novaheart
12-24-2010, 12:00 AM
They'll have all kinds of rationalizations about why it is OK to "out" one person but not another but it all comes down to their own warped sense of what is "just", "rational" and what serves their political purposes. "Outing" is "outing" no matter the rational, and it's either OK or it's not OK.

Another way of looking at it is not who is being outed but who is doing the outing. A school teacher is supposed to have a much different and trusted relationship to the student than a journalist or activist is to a politician or self righteous hypocritical religious jackass.

PoliCon
12-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Another way of looking at it is not who is being outed but who is doing the outing. A school teacher is supposed to have a much different and trusted relationship to the student than a journalist or activist is to a politician or self righteous hypocritical religious jackass.

spin. Either outing=bad or outing =ok. Saying it is okay depending on who is doing it and to whom is relativism of the worst sort.

Novaheart
12-24-2010, 12:43 AM
spin. Either outing=bad or outing =ok. Saying it is okay depending on who is doing it and to whom is relativism of the worst sort.

By that logic, execution is murder by contract and the governor should be imprisoned.

These teachers are going to need to find new careers independent of the outing aspect of this. From the skim of the article, I would think that their trickery and imprisonment of the student could land them in jail.

Gingersnap
12-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Little kids and teens don't have any sexuality worth talking about. No matter who or what they are doing it with, their immaturity is too great to make any definitive statements about their sexuality in the long term.

The class slut can become a born-again virgin, the asexual can turn into a horn dog, the effeminate token gay boy can become an ordinary masculine heterosexual, and plenty of girls who play around girls grow up to be card-carrying heterosexuals.

The school should never have even considered the girl's "sexuality". Her behavior? Sure.

PoliCon
12-24-2010, 02:49 PM
By that logic, execution is murder by contract and the governor should be imprisoned.

These teachers are going to need to find new careers independent of the outing aspect of this. From the skim of the article, I would think that their trickery and imprisonment of the student could land them in jail.

STRAWMAN. Deal with the issue at hand and stop trying to build false comparisons. :rolleyes:

Novaheart
12-24-2010, 02:53 PM
STRAWMAN. Deal with the issue at hand and stop trying to build false comparisons. :rolleyes:

Do you not see a difference between a teacher outing a teenager and a gay activist out some hypocritical piece of shit who votes against equal rights for gay people?

PoliCon
12-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Do you not see a difference between a teacher outing a teenager and a gay activist out some hypocritical piece of shit who votes against equal rights for gay people?

Personally I don't think anyone should be 'outing' anyone else. Someones private business is their private business. And please save the bullshit claims that gheys don't have equal rights for the leftist forums. That kind of bullshit is not gonna fly here. :rolleyes:

Dan D. Doty
12-24-2010, 10:36 PM
I can't count all the times that activist magazine, or group has forced their way into someone's life and outed them. People's private lives are just that, private.

I will not pushed,filed, stamped, briefed , de-briefed or numbered !!!
My life is my own.

Number 6, The Prisoner.

Constitutionally Speaking
12-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Aw Come on now!! I forget what group that goes around outing celebrities - and they are minor heroes to many on the left.

Novaheart
12-25-2010, 12:00 AM
I can't count all the times that activist magazine, or group has forced their way into someone's life and outed them. People's private lives are just that, private.

I will not pushed,filed, stamped, briefed , de-briefed or numbered !!!
My life is my own.

Number 6, The Prisoner.

I can only name a few political outings, all of which were for-cause.
Steve Gunderson
Mark Foley
Ken Mehlman
LArry Craig
the fundie preacher in Colorado

There were a couple that some people would call outings which I would call "worst kept secret in DC" followed by "no reason to cover for this person".

Celebrity "outings" is another matter. If gay celebrities are to be treated the same as straight celebrities, then when you see them staggering from a house in Benedict Canyon on Sunday morning, it's only fair to say whose house it was if you would do that to a straight guy.

Novaheart
12-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Aw Come on now!! I forget what group that goes around outing celebrities - and they are minor heroes to many on the left.

There is an army of people who are dedicated to exposing every bit of personal information they can get on every celebrity and being the first to do it. The days of paparazzi printing the BS that studios put out may not be dead, but there are independents who don't do that.

Dan D. Doty
12-25-2010, 04:09 AM
Well then Brave, it seems that we have come to a new era where people don't have private lives any more.

I still believe that people should have the right to share what they wish with others; many, few, or even none. If you're not hurting anyone then you can give rumba lessons to goats while being dressed up like Douglas Macarther, pipe and all and wouldn't care. Want to know why?

Simple, I nor anyone has the right to poke their nose into other people's business; that's why.

Those teachers didn't have any right to sweat some poor teenage girl if she wasn't being abused, or abusing someone else.

My rights end at your doorstep, and your's end at mine.

" for cause " is just bullsh*t that the mean spirited use as an excuse to ruin someone's life because they can.

PoliCon
12-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Those teachers didn't have any right to sweat some poor teenage girl if she wasn't being abused, or abusing someone else. But apparently she was abusing someone else - one of the other girls and the reputation of one of the coaches as well.

Novaheart
12-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Well then Brave, it seems that we have come to a new era where people don't have private lives any more.

I still believe that people should have the right to share what they wish with others; many, few, or even none. If you're not hurting anyone then you can give rumba lessons to goats while being dressed up like Douglas Macarther, pipe and all and wouldn't care. Want to know why?

Simple, I nor anyone has the right to poke their nose into other people's business; that's why.

Those teachers didn't have any right to sweat some poor teenage girl if she wasn't being abused, or abusing someone else.

My rights end at your doorstep, and your's end at mine.

" for cause " is just bullsh*t that the mean spirited use as an excuse to ruin someone's life because they can.

Did the reporters out Governor Sanford of South Carolina?

CueSi
12-25-2010, 11:46 AM

You already know my answer. No. It's violation of privacy, no matter how you slice it.

~QC

NJCardFan
12-25-2010, 11:49 AM

Did you have a problem with Beck exposing the public to who exactly Van Jones was? Or do approved outings only count for conservatives?

FBIGuy
12-25-2010, 12:19 PM

How wrong you are. States are given a legal option to take a human life as punishment for a crime and individuals are not. THere is no legal or moral justification that states it is ok for one group to out someone and another group not to. You aren't just comparing apples to oranges, you are comparing turtles to rocks.

Novaheart
12-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Did you have a problem with Beck exposing the public to who exactly Van Jones was? Or do approved outings only count for conservatives?

Glenn Beck said that Van Jones is gay?

Zathras
12-25-2010, 02:47 PM

That's a silly question NJ. Of course this degenerate only aproves of conservatives being outed because Van Jones and the rest of Obama's friends and associates are on his side.

NJCardFan
12-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Glenn Beck said that Van Jones is gay?

Yeah, everything is about the gays. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
12-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Yeah, everything is about the gays. :rolleyes:

the thread is about outing people.

Madisonian
12-26-2010, 09:11 AM

Don't worry, you are still safe.

Calypso Jones
12-26-2010, 10:12 AM
one must dance fast in order to keep up with the latest in 'correct thinking'.

NJCardFan
12-26-2010, 10:37 AM

So the only way to out someone is if they're gay? Outing someone who was an appointed 'czar' in this administration as an unapologetic and avowed communist doesn't count? Huh.

PoliCon
12-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Don't worry, you are still safe.

If you weren't such a pointless n00b you might have a clue about what you speak. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
12-26-2010, 11:08 AM
So the only way to out someone is if they're gay? Outing someone who was an appointed 'czar' in this administration as an unapologetic and avowed communist doesn't count? Huh.

yea that's not outing. That's just old fashioned reporting. That's the kind of stuff the MSM should have been reporting from the get go. Outing is exposing something that's private in nature and that is kept private by the person in question which is exposed and made public out of spite or maliciousness.