PDA

View Full Version : We misunderestimated him: Bush sells 2m copies in a month - took Clinton 6 years

PoliCon
12-26-2010, 12:05 PM
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 8:29 PM on 23rd December 2010

Move over, Wordsworth! Former President George W Bush, famous for his 'Bushisms', has sold two million copies of his memoir

For someone who mangled words on a regular basis, it's an impressive feat.

Former U.S. President George W Bush's memoir has sold an astonishing two million copies since it was released in early November - and it's not even in paperback yet.

'Decision Points', published both in hardcover and e-book form, is flying off the shelves, the Crown Publishing Group says.

By contrast, former president Bill Clinton's memoir, 'My Life', has logged sales of 2.2million copies since it was first published in 2004.

A spokesman for Crown called the performance remarkable.

He claimed he could not think of any other hardcover nonfiction books in 2010 that had sold even one million copies, much less two.

In 'Decision Points,' Mr Bush recounts the inner workings of the White House and his administration following the September 11 attacks, including decisions that led to the wars in Afghanistan in Iraq.

He recounts parts of his childhood, speaks lovingly of his family and wife, and wonders about how history will judge him.

As for whether there are any of the infamous Bushisms in it - you'll have to read it to find out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1341229/Bushs-memoir-sells-2MILLION-copies-just-month--nearly-Bill-Clintons-sold-years.html

hampshirebrit
12-26-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm reading it at the moment. It is very accessible. He comes across very well ... as far as I can tell, in his own words.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Meh.
The only autobiographies I read are of rock stars. Those at least have wild stories.
A politician writing his own story is going to be the most biased piece of crap ever, no matter who the politician is. I prefer third party biographies.

PoliCon
12-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm reading it at the moment. It is very accessible. He comes across very well ... as far as I can tell, in his own words.

He himself is very accessible.

megimoo
12-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm reading it at the moment. It is very accessible. He comes across very well ... as far as I can tell, in his own words.How Much Money Do You Think George W. Bush Will Make from His Book ...?

hampshirebrit
12-26-2010, 02:52 PM
How Much Money Do You Think George W. Bush Will Make from His Book ...?

Loads, I hope.

That's capitalism at its best. If he has something to say that people want to hear, which he seems to have, then he should charge whatever the market will bear.

This has nothing to do with the message, only the market. Christopher Hitchens profits in a similar way for his work, and that is how it is supposed to work in a free society.

Bailey
12-26-2010, 05:46 PM
I love it when a book written by a conservative sells like this then sure as rain the libs say the only reason it did was due to bulk purchases

Novaheart
12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
I love it when a book written by a conservative sells like this then sure as rain the libs say the only reason it did was due to bulk purchases

Are you saying that they say that without cause?
Do you believe that Dianetics is actually the longest running bestseller?

Bailey
12-26-2010, 06:00 PM

Funny I never hear that refrain when a Democrat books sells well....

Novaheart
12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Funny I never hear that refrain when a Democrat books sells well....

That doesn't mean it's not true. But my point was that the ability to manipulate such things has been proven, which makes them rightfully suspect, especially when someone is selling a lot of books that a given individual has serious doubts that many people would want to read.

I don't own any of the books mentioned. Not by Obama, not by Clinton, and not by Bush. By the time these people leave office, I know all I need to know about them and have had enough.

PoliCon
12-26-2010, 06:40 PM

are you honestly going to claim that this cult leader is a conservative?

Lager
12-26-2010, 06:40 PM
President Bush's term of office included one of the worst attacks on the U.S. in our history. He also presided over two of the longest running wars as well. So I could see why there would be some interest.

CueSi
12-26-2010, 07:19 PM
are you honestly going to claim that this cult leader is a conservative?

No. . .that bulk purchases drive sales. Nova lives pretty close to Scientology central. This is from a Co$ website. (http://scientologyfsm.wordpress.com/2008/01/05/video-first-book-a-thon-of-2008/) They encourage bulk purchases, and give discounts for 'em.

So...yeah.

~QC

PoliCon
12-26-2010, 11:17 PM
President Bush's term of office included one of the worst attacks on the U.S. in our history. He also presided over two of the longest running wars as well. So I could see why there would be some interest.

Longest wars in modern history. There were longer indian wars.

Novaheart
12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Oddly enough, I have no animosity for George Bush. I probably should, but between the perception that he wasn't actually running the country, and the stupid shit people accused him of, I experience the same kind of noise blocking that automatically engages when the people on The View are all talking at once.

NJCardFan
12-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Oddly enough, I have no animosity for George Bush. I probably should, but between the perception that he wasn't actually running the country, and the stupid shit people accused him of, I experience the same kind of noise blocking that automatically engages when the people on The View are all talking at once.
:rolleyes:

And of course, some of the same people who accuse him of this are the same ones who accuse him of masterminding 9/11. I personally love the idiots like you who believe that there were others holding the strings for Bush yet Obama is running the show now.

m00
12-27-2010, 02:04 AM
I miss Bush more and more the longer Obama is in office. :p Don't get me wrong, Bush signed his name to a lot of garbage legislation and gross misappropriation of tax dollars, in addition to erosion of our freedoms and civil liberties. But Obama's done nothing but use that as a starting point.

linda22003
12-27-2010, 08:51 AM
I don't think I've ever gotten more than ten pages into a president's memoir, with the exception of President Grant's - and that wasn't about his presidency.

FBIGuy
12-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Hell, if Ride Me Roughly doesn't recommend it then this is definitely must read material.

Novaheart
12-27-2010, 01:04 PM
:rolleyes:

And of course, some of the same people who accuse him of this are the same ones who accuse him of masterminding 9/11. I personally love the idiots like you who believe that there were others holding the strings for Bush yet Obama is running the show now.

Why are you give to assume facts not in evidence?

I have never accused Bush of making or letting 9/11 happen.
I have never accused Obama of being in power. In fact, when a dear friend of the Quaker persuasion was telling me that he was supporting Obama rather than Hillary, because my friend and his wife (mostly his wife) opposed the war (Iraq) my response was flippant, "Oh, those things are decided at a much higher level."

I'll also be the first to say that I am tremendously disappointed in Obama. I voted for him for one primary reason, I hoped to get SIngle Payer health care in place, or at least a public option so that my self employed family could buy secure health insurance at a reasonable price and that as a nation we could stop throwing money down a hole on healthcare.

Zathras
12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
I'll also be the first to say that I am tremendously disappointed in Obama. I voted for him for one primary reason, I hoped to get SIngle Payer health care in place, or at least a public option so that my self employed family could buy secure health insurance at a reasonable price and that as a nation we could stop throwing money down a hole on healthcare.

So you admit you were stupid enough to fall for the snake oil Obumbles was selling. And it's your fault, along with every other idiot who voted for this snake oil salesman, for what has happened in America, thanks to what this unqualified charlatan has inflicted upon America with his policies. Hope you're proud of yourself numbnuts.

Lager
12-27-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't think I've ever gotten more than ten pages into a president's memoir, with the exception of President Grant's - and that wasn't about his presidency.

I had heard that in addition to his many other talents, Grant was an exceptional writer. We've been fortunate that in fact many of our Presidents, up until recent times, were outstanding writers. It seems to be a fading art among our modern elected officials. Reading Grant's biography has been on my list for awhile, but I have yet to accomplish it.

Novaheart
12-27-2010, 06:20 PM
So you admit you were stupid enough to fall for the snake oil Obumbles was selling. And it's your fault, along with every other idiot who voted for this snake oil salesman, for what has happened in America, thanks to what this unqualified charlatan has inflicted upon America with his policies. Hope you're proud of yourself numbnuts.

McCain had nothing whatsoever to offer and he was partnered with an idiot.

PoliCon
12-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Sure he did. He was offering an actual factual track record - even if you didn't agree with him/it - you cannot deny that he has a real voting record that people can actually point to and say - he actually voted yes or voted not instead of just voting PRESENT. :rolleyes: As for his 'idiot' partner - funny that the same people who castigated her in the press as an idiot LOVED her until she got the VP nod because she was challenging the GOP establishment. Furthermore - the same people who painted her as an idiot are the same people who painted Bush as an idiot and who painted Reagan as an idiot . . . . Funny how they always find the republican to be an idiot and the democrat to be such total genius's. :rolleyes:

Zathras
12-27-2010, 06:27 PM
McCain had nothing whatsoever to offer.

RIIIIIGGGHHHTTTT. You say you're a conservative...I've seen you say that time and time again here. By voting for Obumbles you've proven that claim to be an out and out, deliberate on your part, lie. No surprise, as you are a DUmmy and, as we all know, DUmmys lie....they lie all the time. If you were a conservative you would've seen that Obumbles was, is and always will be an empty suit and not voted for him. But since you really are a liberal to the core you were happy to vote for him, blinded by the cult of personality surrounding the empty suit that is Obumbles.

Madisonian
12-27-2010, 06:40 PM

He certainly was when he came up with McCain-Feingold on campaign finance reform and with still dead Ted on the McCain-Kennedy Immigration Reform bill.

Zathras
12-27-2010, 06:46 PM

I didn't realise you were on the McCain ticket. And I see you're suffering from an accute case of PDS as well....you sure you wouldn't be more comfortable over at DU? After all you sound and act just like your average DUmmy.

Novaheart
12-27-2010, 06:50 PM
He certainly was when he came up with McCain-Feingold on campaign finance reform and with still dead Ted on the McCain-Kennedy Immigration Reform bill.

he Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007, or, in its full name, the Secure Borders, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Reform Act of 2007 (S. 1348) was a bill discussed in the 110th United States Congress that would have provided legal status and a path to citizenship for the approximately 12 to 20 million illegal immigrants currently residing in the United States.

No.

Novaheart
12-27-2010, 06:53 PM
I didn't realise you were on the McCain ticket. And I see you're suffering from an accute case of PDS as well....you sure you wouldn't be more comfortable over at DU? After all you sound and act just like your average DUmmy.

I accidentally responded to you a couple of posts ago. Don't feel it's necessary to establish a relationship with me. I think you're a douchebag.

Madisonian
12-27-2010, 07:06 PM
he Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007, or, in its full name, the Secure Borders, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Reform Act of 2007 (S. 1348) was a bill discussed in the 110th United States Congress that would have provided legal status and a path to citizenship for the approximately 12 to 20 million illegal immigrants currently residing in the United States.

No.

The bill I was referring to was S. 1033, the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act which was sponsored by McCain and Kennedy and introduced in 2005.

Beyond stating the name of a bill I was not referencing S.1348 (which was sponsored by Harry Reid with no Republican sponsors), was there a point?

Rockntractor
12-27-2010, 07:08 PM
I accidentally responded to you a couple of posts ago. Don't feel it's necessary to establish a relationship with me. I think you're a douchebag.
At least a douche bag knows the right orifice to enter.:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Nova is an enema of the people!

Zathras
12-27-2010, 09:16 PM

A relationship with you? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I'm normal you deviant waste of skin...you are not...no way in hell I want a "relationship" with a lying shitbird like you.

As for "accidentally" responding to me? Another lie from a lying sack of shit. I have you nailed down with the truth about you and your faux conservatism and you know it.

Zathras
12-27-2010, 09:25 PM
At least a douche bag knows the right orifice to enter.:rolleyes:

Well that's one of the things that happens when you have a head full of bad wiring. You put your male reproductive organ in where human waste on another male comes out and think it's ok.

Sonnabend
12-28-2010, 06:12 AM
I don't own any of the books mentioned. Not by Obama, not by Clinton, and not by Bush. By the time these people leave office, I know all I need to know about them and have had enough.

Translation: I am not going to read the book but make half assed assumptions.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Translation: I am not going to read the book but make half assed assumptions.

IMO, in most cases an autobiography, no matter who it's by, is self promoting propaganda and coming from the most biased source possible.

FBIGuy
12-28-2010, 11:19 AM
IMO, in most cases an autobiography, no matter who it's by, is self promoting propaganda and coming from the most biased source possible.

On the other hand they come from the only source that actually knows what the subject's thoughts and intentions truly were.

hampshirebrit
12-28-2010, 11:31 AM
On the other hand they come from the only source that actually knows what the subject's thoughts and intentions truly were.

True. You're both right, I'd say.

In this instance, the former president does admit to some lapses in judgement, which belies the pure propaganda concept.
His writing style is fairly sparse, yet quite engaging. So far, it is an interesting read.