PDA

View Full Version : It's not a photo! Believe it or not

Gingersnap
12-29-2010, 10:36 PM
It's not a photo! Believe it or not, this is actually the most amazingly realistic PAINTING

By Richard Hartley-parkinson

Artist Denis Peterson leaves onlookers impressed with his real life scenes showing cities around the world - but gobsmacked when they realise every inch of these pictures are painted.

At first glance some of his works look like a simple billboard over a busy urban setting. But on closer inspection the hidden secret is revealed - even the tiny people and obscure reflections on background windows have been conjured up by his brushstrokes.

The paintings look like photos but far from being captured in a fraction of a second, Denis' paintings take a month to complete and fetch up to 30,000 each. The 64-year-old, from New York, starts with a small photo which he then blows up 1-2000 times to capture every brick, facial expression and leaf in minute detail.

He was one of the first 'photorealists' to emerge in New York in the 1960s and early 1970s and is widely acknowledged as the founder of 'hyper-realism'.

On his website he says: 'As meaningful visual statements, my paintings go through a transformational painting process. 'The illusion of an alternate reality is secondary, a means to an end. My goal is to create timeless compositions that mesmerise the viewer and evoke a core response.'

His most recent work involves street scenes with people being 'weighed down' by advertising billboards, like the ones showing New York.

Some of his earlier work looked at the suffering felt by people imposed by governments and societies raising moral and political questions about military regimes.

His pieces are displayed at galleries and museums in New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia, Utah, California, UK, Italy, Corsica, Switzerland, and France.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ls9lhe.jpg
'Grain of Sand': The pieces of work are to go on display at galleries around the world

More paintings at the link.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342463/Artist-Denis-Peterson-ss-realistic-paintings-look-like-photographs.html#ixzz19YvHgwar

PoliCon
12-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Now that is art.

Gingersnap
12-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Now that is art.

It's amazing. :eek:

Adam Wood
12-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Wow. Very impressive indeed.

Kay
12-29-2010, 10:45 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/12/29/article-1342463-0C999367000005DC-408_964x658.jpg

This is the one that just amazes me.
It's so sharp and clear it looks like it was taken with a high quality digital camera.

PoliCon
12-29-2010, 10:46 PM
It's amazing. :eek:

yup - and despite the bleakness of the content - there is a true aesthetic to the piece. It does not offend the senses. It appeals to them even as it plucks at the heart.

Rockntractor
12-30-2010, 12:32 AM
yup - and despite the bleakness of the content - there is a true aesthetic to the piece. It does not offend the senses. It appeals to them even as it plucks at the heart.

That is Bobolinks house!:rolleyes:

Meshuga Mikey
12-31-2010, 02:11 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/12/29/article-1342463-0C999367000005DC-408_964x658.jpg

This is the one that just amazes me.
It's so sharp and clear it looks like it was taken with a high quality digital camera.

The image that became the painting was originally captured with a high quality digital camera, and likely projected on the surface being transformed into a painting.

Bailey
12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Ok what am I missing here? looks like a picture of garbage

Articulate_Ape
12-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Different painter(s), but this one (http://www.drublair.com/comersus/store/tica.asp) always amazes me.

Kay
12-31-2010, 02:38 PM
The image that became the painting was originally captured with a high quality digital camera, and likely projected on the surface being transformed into a painting.

Ah yeah, that would make sense now.

PoliCon
12-31-2010, 07:26 PM

Nah. It would never work. Just admit that the guy has talent.

Meshuga Mikey
01-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Different painter(s), but this one (http://www.drublair.com/comersus/store/tica.asp) always amazes me.

I dont get it at all. Its clear that the painting used a fairly high resolution digital image as its base.

I guess its the challenge to recreate the original image by hnad.

Meshuga Mikey
01-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Nah. It would never work. Just admit that the guy has talent.

skil yes. real talent...is far more than skill, even skill at a very high level.

Meshuga Mikey
01-01-2011, 06:57 PM

I dont get it at all. Its clear that the painting used a fairly high resolution digital image as its base.

PoliCon
01-01-2011, 07:57 PM

You make a lot of assumptions . . . . :rolleyes:

And what are your assumptions about this artist?

http://www.cmdudash.com/

hampshirebrit
01-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Nah. It would never work.

You need to justify this statement, since it is you that has made it.

You say it would never work. Why, exactly is it that you think it would "never work"?

PoliCon
01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
You need to justify this statement, since it is you that has made it.

You say it would never work. Why, exactly is it that you think it would "never work"?

Projecting an image and then painting over it and having it come out in any way good.

hampshirebrit
01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Projecting an image and then painting over it and having it come out in any way good.

You still have not said why it would not work. You have only polemicised on the issue, rather briefly and weakly, I might add.

Why would painting over a projected image not "come out in any way good" ?

I can see some merit in the technique, although I am not an artist, by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why I might be wrong on the matter.

PoliCon
01-01-2011, 10:09 PM
You still have not said why it would not work. You have only polemicised on the issue, rather briefly and weakly, I might add.

Why would painting over a projected image not "come out in any way good" ?

I can see some merit in the technique, although I am not an artist, by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why I might be wrong on the matter.

Because the projected image would interfere with the process. It would be akin to painting in bad lighting. How can you know what something is going to look like if the colors you are trying to paint are being covered by projected colors? You can use the projection technique to sketch and outline an image - but not to paint it.

Kay
01-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Nah. It would never work.

You can use the projection technique to sketch and outline an image - but not to paint it.

Dude, you are so wrong and obviously not an artist. I'm no artist either, but back in the ancient dinosaur days, when I was in high school, we had one photography studio in our small town. This was an old-time professional photographer, with the big bulky old style camera on a tri-pod and huge studio lights that blinded you when you had to sit for a picture. His wife was a painter. One of their specialties was when they did the senior class cap & gown pictures every year, he would take the pictures like normal. Then his wife would pick out one pose and do a full size enhanced 'hand portrait' from it. She'd do exactly what Meshuga said above. She'd take the print, then use oil paint to touch it up and enhance it.

I'm surprised at you Poli, for being closed minded on this. To an artist, nothing is impossible.

Editing to add that my mother had portraits of all three of us kids at about 1 yr old done, and then hand painted on top of in the style above by that same couple. I still have mine hanging in the house now. They are awesome treasures from back in the good old days before society became digitized.