PDA

View Full Version : Slow NYC snow cleanup due to budget protest

swirling_vortex
01-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Selfish Sanitation Department bosses from the snow-slammed outer boroughs ordered their drivers to snarl the blizzard cleanup to protest budget cuts -- a disastrous move that turned streets into a minefield for emergency-services vehicles, The Post has learned.

Miles of roads stretching from as north as Whitestone, Queens, to the south shore of Staten Island still remained treacherously unplowed last night because of the shameless job action, several sources and a city lawmaker said, which was over a raft of demotions, attrition and budget cuts.

"They sent a message to the rest of the city that these particular labor issues are more important," said City Councilman Dan Halloran (R-Queens), who was visited yesterday by a group of guilt-ridden sanitation workers who confessed the shameless plot.
Halloran said he met with three plow workers from the Sanitation Department -- and two Department of Transportation supervisors who were on loan -- at his office after he was flooded with irate calls from constituents.

The snitches "didn't want to be identified because they were afraid of retaliation," Halloran said. "They were told [by supervisors] to take off routes [and] not do the plowing of some of the major arteries in a timely manner. They were told to make the mayor pay for the layoffs, the reductions in rank for the supervisors, shrinking the rolls of the rank-and-file."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/sanit_filthy_snow_slow_mo_qH57MZwC53QKOJlekSSDJK#i xzz19r2EvjTa

Let's also not forget these guys are unionized.

Rockntractor
01-02-2011, 12:55 AM
I wonder if anyone died or how many people needlessly suffered because ambulances couldn't get to them because of this union?

djones520
01-02-2011, 05:53 AM
I wonder if anyone died or how many people needlessly suffered because ambulances couldn't get to them because of this union?

They were discussing this on Cavuto yesterday. At least one person did die in an ambulance that was stuck in the snow.

The panel had it's typical liberal shill who was trying to deflect, saying this wasn't a concerted effort or anything. Pretty hard to deny it now with people coming forth saying it was.

swirling_vortex
01-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I believe an infant that was born died because the emergency crews didn't arrive until 9 hours later.

PoliCon
01-02-2011, 10:43 AM

One more example of why unions in government are criminal. Fire the bosses. Disband the union.

Rockntractor
01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Criminal charges should be brought against them, this should be decided in court.

PoliCon
01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Criminal charges should be brought against them, this should be decided in court.

They would never stick. They'd be lucky to get a civil settlement - and that would only happen if they moved the jurisdiction out of NYC.

djones520
01-02-2011, 11:21 AM
They would never stick. They'd be lucky to get a civil settlement - and that would only happen if they moved the jurisdiction out of NYC.

Negligent homicide? I bet it could stick.

Rockntractor
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I think the conspiracy would be easy to prove and the rest would fall in line. Maybe Philly will weigh in.

PoliCon
01-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Negligent homicide? I bet it could stick.

You'd have to prove that there was an intentional go slow - and any person who even hinted about testifying in that direction would disappear.

Phillygirl
01-02-2011, 11:43 PM
It's possible, since the workers had a duty to act. Tough case, but certainly, from a law school exam perspective, plausible.