PDA

View Full Version : "OMG They're Going To Make A Black Hole On Earth !"

megimoo
08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Tests clear way for "Big Bang" experiment

GENEVA (Reuters) - Tests have cleared the way for the start-up next month of an experiment to restage a mini-version underground of the "Big Bang" which created the universe 15 billion years ago, the project chief said on Monday.

Lyn Evans of the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) said weekend trials in the vast underground LHC machine in which the particle-smashing experiment will take place over the coming months and years "went without a hitch."

"We look forward to a resounding success when we make our first attempt to send a beam all the way round the LHC," said Evans, who heads the multinational team of scientists that shaped the project and the machine, the Large Hadron Collider.

The final tests involved pumping a single bunch of energy particles from the project's accelerator into the 27-km (17-mile) beam pipe of the collider and steering them counter- clockwise around it for about 3 kms (2 miles).

Earlier in the month a clockwise trial in the LHC -- which runs deep under French and Swiss territory between the Jura mountains and Lake Geneva -- had been equally successful, CERN said.

The LHC team now plans to send a full particle beam all the way around the collider pipe in one direction on September 10 as a prelude to sending beams in both directions and smashing them together later in the year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080825/sc_nm/science_cern_dc

patriot45
08-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Tests clear way for "Big Bang" experiment

GENEVA (Reuters) - Tests have cleared the way for the start-up next month of an experiment to restage a mini-version underground of the "Big Bang" which created the universe 15 billion years ago, the project chief said on Monday.

Lyn Evans of the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) said weekend trials in the vast underground LHC machine in which the particle-smashing experiment will take place over the coming months and years "went without a hitch."

"We look forward to a resounding success when we make our first attempt to send a beam all the way round the LHC," said Evans, who heads the multinational team of scientists that shaped the project and the machine, the Large Hadron Collider.

The final tests involved pumping a single bunch of energy particles from the project's accelerator into the 27-km (17-mile) beam pipe of the collider and steering them counter- clockwise around it for about 3 kms (2 miles).

Earlier in the month a clockwise trial in the LHC -- which runs deep under French and Swiss territory between the Jura mountains and Lake Geneva -- had been equally successful, CERN said.

The LHC team now plans to send a full particle beam all the way around the collider pipe in one direction on September 10 as a prelude to sending beams in both directions and smashing them together later in the year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080825/sc_nm/science_cern_dc

I think I saw this movie!!

Thats all we need, a pin head with a theory to prove. Upside - it works, downside - we were never here.

megimoo
08-25-2008, 09:49 PM

Thats all we need, a pin head with a theory to prove. Upside - it works, downside - we were never here.Maybe they can distort space enough to send EyePuss Back Home ?

Elspeth
08-25-2008, 10:56 PM
"OMG They're Going To Make A Black Hole On Earth !"

Don't we already have one of those? It's called Congress.:p

jeskibuff
08-25-2008, 11:09 PM

Thats all we need, a pin head with a theory to prove. Upside - it works, downside - we were never here.

Yes, I think I saw the same movie, but instead of:

The final tests involved pumping a single bunch of energy particles from the project's accelerator into the 27-km (17-mile) beam pipe of the collider and steering them counter-clockwise around it for about 3 kms (2 miles).

Earlier in the month a clockwise trial in the LHC...had been equally successful, CERN said.

...the dialogue went something like this:

Soldier: Those lights are blinking out of sequence.
Murdock: Make them blink in sequence.
Buck Murdock: Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We’ve all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they’re *flashing* and they’re *beeping*. I can’t stand it anymore! They’re *blinking* and *beeping* and *flashing*! Why doesn’t somebody pull the plug?

jinxmchue
08-26-2008, 01:13 AM

Els for the win!

megimoo
08-26-2008, 07:07 AM

Now the Hippy freaks can levitate the Denver Mint and shake the dough loose !

Sonnabend
08-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Don't we already have one of those? It's called Congress

*looks at keyboard and mutters vile curses under his breath*

Elspeth..you are SO on my list...

:D:D:D.

Elspeth
08-26-2008, 12:46 PM
*looks at keyboard and mutters vile curses under his breath*

Elspeth..you are SO on my list...

:D:D:D.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D