PDA

View Full Version : NOAA Climate Dude says "We must reduce the population"

Molon Labe
01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
I would be remiss, as a scientist who studied this, if I didnít mention the following two things:

The first is that, most importantly, we need to do, as a society, in this country and globally, whatever we can to reduce population. [Cheers, applause.] Itís the Ďmaster variableí that controls everything

Translation into non bullshit:

We must get rid of those people that are a drain on society....through things like sterilizing, and laws against number of children and so forth....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGTk4S_HV2w

Articulate_Ape
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I vote we start with him.

Gingersnap
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Warmism: something for everybody, including self-loathing humans. :rolleyes:

Global population rates are already declining.

Zathras
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM

And everyone else who thinks like him.

gator
01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
As an Environmental Engineer I actually think like him to a certain degree because I understand the impact that humans have on the environment.

I think this planet is way over populated and we are pretty well fucked because of it. Everything from life in the oceans being depleted to the deforestation and desertification of a large part of the land due to human activity. We cut down the forest in Europe a thousand years ago and most of the forest in North America a hundred years ago and now the Chinese are working on cutting down the forest in other countries like Brazil.

We are pretty well fucked. The earth can hardly handle the seven billion people here now no less the ten billion that we will get to before the things start leveling off.

However, although I agree with him on his assessment of the damage we part ways after that.

I donít think there is anything we can or should do about the problem. I sure as hell donít want to kill off other people and donít want the government telling me how many children I can have or not have.

Humans like to screw and they like to have children and they like to live well. That is basic human nature and I donít want other humans trying to manage that.

We are just going to have to live with the consequences of over population until nature corrects the problem, which will happen one of these days. Nature has a way of dealing with problems like this. Maybe even having a mass extinction and starting all over again, which has happen several times in the past.

Articulate_Ape
01-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Warmism: something for everybody, including self-loathing humans. :rolleyes:

You are quite correct, Ginger, and that decline will be accelerating on its own.

Madisonian
01-04-2011, 05:50 PM
We are just going to have to live with the consequences of over population until nature corrects the problem, which will happen one of these days. Nature has a way of dealing with problems like this. Maybe even having a mass extinction and starting all over again, which has happen several times in the past.

I would posit that nature already has attempted to make corrections it's just that every time nature tries to correct imbalances, humans do something to mitigate the damages.

Starvation, famine, sickness and pestilence are nature's equalizers. It is our, for lack of a better word, compassion towards the victims of nature that stops nature from reaching its equilibrium.

gator
01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I would posit that nature already has attempted to make corrections it's just that every time nature tries to correct imbalances, humans do something to mitigate the damages.

Starvation, famine, sickness and pestilence are nature's equalizers. It is our, for lack of a better word, compassion towards the victims of nature that stops nature from reaching its equilibrium.

True but Mother Nature can be a real bitch sometimes. She won't let us off the hook forever.

Molon Labe
01-04-2011, 06:18 PM

The food system we rely upon is pretty precarious. We rely heavily on alot of technology to feed the numbers. If that ever goes......holy hell

gator
01-04-2011, 06:24 PM

That is misleading.

Total population is continuing to increase.

Population has double in every generation for the last three generations. When I was born there were only 3 billion humans. Now there are almost seven billion. The population doubled in my parent’s life time and also in my grandparent’s life span.

The recent rate has the doubling every 56 years.

Now the projection is to have the population stabilize at around ten billion people but that number will have profound influence on the generation of pollution, especially in China where there are over a billion people with greater spending power. The effect of that is to have very large tracks of forest in Brazil or Malaysia or Thailand destroyed to provide lumber for all the people in China.

Like I said we are all pretty well screwed. Here in the US we will be better off than most but the rest of the earth is being damaged significantly.

The earth can’t sustain ten billion high impact humans for very long.

Rockntractor
01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Somebody missed their Aricept this morning!:rolleyes:

Madisonian
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
True but Mother Nature can be a real bitch sometimes. She won't let us off the hook forever.

Yellowstone caldera eruption anyone?

The food system we rely upon is pretty precarious. We rely heavily on alot of technology to feed the numbers. If that ever goes......holy hell

And massive food shortages would lead to more international civil unrest and hostilities than silly politics could ever dream of.
The agriculture of the North American continent will look pretty good to 1.3 billion starving Chinese should it come to that.

Novaheart
01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Translation into non bullshit:

We must get rid of those people that are a drain on society....through things like sterilizing, and laws against number of children and so forth....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGTk4S_HV2w

Good idea, as long as I am the one who decides who to get rid of. Let's start with Iraniraqpakistansaudiarabiaegyptsudansomalianigeri aalbanianorthkoreamaldives.

Novaheart
01-04-2011, 08:00 PM
I donít think there is anything we can or should do about the problem. I sure as hell donít want to kill off other people and donít want the government telling me how many children I can have or not have.

Aerial spraying of genetically targeted pesticides.

Humans like to screw and they like to have children and they like to live well. That is basic human nature and I donít want other humans trying to manage that.

From what I have see, the ones with the most children are the ones least capable of providing for them, with some notable (but not especially worthy) exceptions.

Rockntractor
01-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Aerial spraying of genetically targeted pesticides.

From what I have see, the ones with the most children are the ones least capable of providing for them, with some notable (but not especially worthy) exceptions.

At least you are doing your part!

Novaheart
01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
At least you are doing your part!

I feel a little guilty about not reproducing myself, but my sisters have done a beatiful job, and besides, I'm so inbred that all of my cousins' children and even people I barely know are genetic siblings.

Constitutionally Speaking
01-04-2011, 08:24 PM
And everyone else who thinks like him.

Beat me to it.

PoliCon
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM

I vote that everyone who was there do the honourable thing and put there money where their mouth is and do their part to reduce over population by taking their own lives. . . . otherwise they need to SHUT THE FUCK UP. :mad:

jediab
01-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Funny how all of the people who call for this sort of thing are still here. Shouldn't they be leading by example and removing themselves and family members from the problem they speak of?

PoliCon
01-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Funny how all of the people who call for this sort of thing are still here. Shouldn't they be leading by example and removing themselves and family members from the problem they speak of?

That's pretty much my thoughts on the issue.