PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning Of 'Allah Akbar!'

Gingersnap
01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
The Meaning Of 'Allah Akbar!'

Posted 01/05/2011 07:06 PM ET

Political Correctness: "Allah Akbar!" cheered Egyptian Muslims while trampling the remains of dozens of Christians eviscerated in last Friday's suicide bombing. Yet we're assured that the phrase has nothing to do with Islam.

Video taken at the gruesome scene outside a church in Alexandria, Egypt, clearly shows local rubberneckers whooping it up as they shout "Allah Akbar!" Arabic for "Allah is greatest!" We heard the same celebratory chant from Palestinians and other Muslims around the world as the Twin Towers burned.

The list of Islamic terrorists heard shouting the phrase before launching attacks is long. The 9/11 hijackers themselves screamed "Allah Akbar!" before crashing their planes. More recently, Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan was heard crying "Allah Akbar!" before massacring 13 fellow soldiers at Fort Hood.

Never mind all that, say apologists intent on separating Islam from terror. The expression is benign, they insist.

"The guy who gets up on the plane and says 'Allah!' or whatever and then blows the plane up is not making a statement about his faith," American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee head James Zogby said last year, speaking to congressional staffers.

Zogby says it's more an expression of frustration, like Christians blurting out their Savior's name after accidently hammering their thumb. "Somebody says 'Jesus Christ!' they're not making a statement of faith," he explained. "They're saying, I'm really mad right now."

The comparison is absurd.

Muslims say "Allah is greatest" to exalt their God. When Christians mutter "Jesus Christ," they in contrast are taking their Lord's name in vain. There's no corresponding "Jesus Christ is greatest!"

Zogby wins the prize for post-9/11 fig-leafing. He made his remarks in August as a panelist at a little-known Hill forum on the "image of Muslims in America," sponsored by the Congressional Muslim Staff Association, or CMSA. A transcript of the event shows attendees clearly upset over polls showing growing numbers of Americans holding negative views about Islam.

Other panelists included Salam al-Marayati, who was kicked off an anti-terror panel in 1999 by then-House Majority Leader Richard Gephardt for his inflammatory rhetoric. He now watches what he says.

He and other "moderate" Muslim panelists said Americans have it all wrong, that they've been fed "misinformation." They maintained that Islam is "tolerant," that "democracy is at the heart of Islam," and that women who wear the Islamic headscarf are "liberated." They also claimed that the Ground Zero mosque is "actually intended to develop interfaith understanding."

Who's misinforming whom?

More at the link.

IBD (http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/558932/201101051906/The-Meaning-Of-Allah-Akbar.htm)

Bleda
01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Hate to get technical, but actually, "Allah [is] akbar" literally means "Allah is bigger." "Allah is biggest" would be "Allah [hu = is] al-akbar." But I'm no expert, so maybe Akbar can also refer to greatness.

FBIGuy
01-06-2011, 11:32 AM
So the Islamists now have the religious equivalent of the school yard proclamation,"my dad can be up your dad!"

Gingersnap
01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Hate to get technical, but actually, "Allah [is] akbar" literally means "Allah is bigger." "Allah is biggest" would be "Allah [hu = is] al-akbar." But I'm no expert, so maybe Akbar can also refer to greatness.

Either way, it's unlikely Muslims use the phrase as somewhat sinful displacement activity during times of unexpected stress or pain - which is the Christian/cultural Christian usage in the comparison.

My understanding is that cursing in the Islamic world is mainly sexual or derogatory about women, not theological.

Articulate_Ape
01-06-2011, 02:32 PM
...so maybe Akbar can also refer to greatness.

Or...

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/157/original/Atrapitis.gif?1240007111

Novaheart
01-06-2011, 03:13 PM

Great also means big. "How great thou art." doesn't mean "You're fabulous."
Great Britain doesn't mean Fantastic Britain.

Bleda
01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
My understanding is that cursing in the Islamic world is mainly sexual or derogatory about women, not theological.

Maybe; I don't know. But I've heard that in the Arab world most insults are related to intelligence, animals, sexuality or skin color. I've never heard of a widely-used curse word or insult about women. Do you happen to know any? :p

I heard they also use "shit" (such as when you lose a game or step on a nail and say "shit!" -- pardon my French :o), but it's pronounced "shet."

Bleda
01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Great also means big.

I think that's probably the case, yeah.

Odysseus
01-06-2011, 06:44 PM

I think that's probably the case, yeah.

The literal translation is "Allah is greater than...", with the comparison left off. The meaning of this is that to compare Allah to anything, to say that he is greater than the universe, for example, is a blasphemy, because it defines, and therefore limits Allah.

But, perhaps the apologists are sincere in their claim that it has nothing to do with the Islamic zeal of the suicide bombers. The best way to test that is to walk up behind one of them and shout it at the top of your lungs. If he hits the dirt, you know that he's full of Shiite.

The Night Owl
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
The phrase is Allāhu Akbar.

Rockntractor
01-10-2011, 01:03 PM

Welcome back feather face!:D

Bleda
01-10-2011, 07:09 PM

That's just how it's pronounced in Arabic. It's spelled "Allah akbar."

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2011, 07:13 PM

You're right. Wait...no you aren't. (http://youtu.be/88_W2j-jC1c) Wait! Er...Nope. (http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=allahu%20akbar) My mistake.

AmPat
01-10-2011, 07:19 PM
It means different things to different people..
To me it means: "Shoot me right here." {points to forehead}

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
It means different things to different people..
To me it means: "Shoot me right here." {points to forehead}

It can have that connotation, yes.

Bleda
01-10-2011, 07:38 PM
You're right. Wait...no you aren't. (http://youtu.be/88_W2j-jC1c) Wait! Er...Nope. (http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=allahu%20akbar) My mistake.

I meant in Arabic it's spelled "Allah" and "Akber." The "u" after "Allah" is just used to link the two words. Kind of like how you say "go-wing" instead of "go-ing." In other words, it's pronunciation, not spelling.

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2011, 07:43 PM
I meant in Arabic it's spelled "Allah" and "Akber." The "u" after "Allah" is just used to link the two words. Kind of like how you say "go-wing" instead of "go-ing." In other words, it's pronunciation, not spelling.

Gotcha, but the written word is an expression of the spoken word, not the other way around. You say tom-ay-to, I say tom-ah-to, let's call the whole thing off. ;)

Bleda
01-10-2011, 07:53 PM
I just remembered I was wrong there, actually. It's spelled "Allah akber", yes, but the 'u' after 'Allah' is not used to link the two words, but for a different reason. :o

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I just remembered I was wrong there, actually. It's spelled "Allah akber", yes, but the 'u' after 'Allah' is not used to link the two words, but for a different reason. :o

What, were you stoned? Wait, you aren't a Muslim woman. Never mind.

Rockntractor
01-10-2011, 07:56 PM

Don't worry, that's allah right.

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2011, 07:57 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Swine.:D

Bleda
01-10-2011, 08:44 PM
What, were you stoned? Wait, you aren't a Muslim woman. Never mind.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c94/sweetfreek88/victorian_rofl_guy_hearty_guffaws.jpg

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2011, 09:03 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c94/sweetfreek88/victorian_rofl_guy_hearty_guffaws.jpg

:D

The Night Owl
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM

I'm pretty sure the phrase is written according to how it's pronounced.

Rockntractor
01-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Pretty sure, now that's a definitive answer.

The Night Owl
01-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Pretty sure, now that's a definitive answer.

I live by my sig line. ;)

Rockntractor
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I live by my sig line. ;)

I would assume that goes for your global warming religion too.

The Night Owl
01-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I would assume that goes for your global warming religion too.

Just because I've taken a position on global warming doesn't mean I'm religiously devoted to it.

Articulate_Ape
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Just because I've taken a position on global warming doesn't mean I'm religiously devoted to it.

We'll see about that when this new ice age starts in earnest. :cool:

The Night Owl
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
We'll see about that when this new ice age starts in earnest. :cool:

Don't worry about the ice. It's just winter.

Rockntractor
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM

You mean we have seasons when it's hot and seasons when it's cold? Who would have thought, It makes you kind of wonder if they might fluctuate from time to time.:confused:

Articulate_Ape
01-11-2011, 12:54 PM

When it's winter in Florida in July you and your fellow acolytes will surely say the same thing as you worship at the Gorean altar.

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 12:55 PM
The Sunni you guys knock off the funny Shiite, the Sunni we can get back on topic. :D

If your position involves genuflecting to junk science, it's a religion.

AmPat
01-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Winter? WINTER??? :eek:
By Goracle, it's Global Warming's fault!:mad:

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Winter? WINTER??? :eek:
By Goracle, it's Global Warming's fault!:mad:

Global Warming is nothing! For the last several months, I've noticed that the days have been getting shorter, and the nights longer! If this continues, by this time next year, the entire northern hemisphere will be in perpetual darkness! The sheer volume of manufacturing in the north has clearly shifted the Earth's axis! We have to shift resources south immediately, or sooner! Give me as much money as I can carry, and I will take the next flight to Rio. :D

Bleda
01-11-2011, 06:42 PM

Written Arabic is pretty complicated. The 'u' symbol above the 'h' at the end of 'Allah' is called a haraka and isn't really part of the spelling per se. Harakas are only used in formal Arabic (which pretty much no Arab uses, except in formal settings obviously), but many religious terms are almost always pronounced formally, otherwise it's considered disrespectful to Islam.

Either way, the phrase is "Allah akber."

AmPat
01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
It also means, "I bend over five times a day as a presentation to that hot arab stud behind me.":eek:

Yukon
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Allah Akbar loose translation means God is GREAT ( I have Muslim friends )

Rockntractor
01-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Right, like you have friends, especially of the Muslim race.:rolleyes:

Zathras
01-17-2011, 04:42 PM

Of course you do Pukeon. Someone like you hangs with people that hate America. Bet you danced with them when the WTC and Pentagon were attacked.

The Night Owl
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Right, like you have friends, especially of the Muslim race.:rolleyes:

The Muslim race? What's that?

Rockntractor
01-17-2011, 08:45 PM
The Muslim race? What's that?

Ask the troll it was meant for him.

Odysseus
01-17-2011, 09:44 PM

A bit late to this one. As I said before, Allah Akbar means God is greater than..., with the comparison left open, because even the act of naming something that God is greater than is an implied limit on God, and therefore a blasphemy.

PoliCon
01-17-2011, 11:41 PM
any way you slice it - the comment is meant to be praise towards the god of islam.

Odysseus
01-18-2011, 10:45 AM
any way you slice it - the comment is meant to be praise towards the god of islam.

Yes, but I particularly enjoy Yukon Cornelius' hubris in telling us what we already know, because he has some Muslim friends. That's much more impressive than having spent a year in Iraq, or several short tours in Kuwait, or having trained deploying units in Arab culture, which is all that I bring to the discussion. :rolleyes:

Yukon
01-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Allah Akbar means God is Great, the same God we believe in by the way.

Gingersnap
01-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Nope, I believe in the Trinity and in Christ as son of God both of which are anathema to believing Muslims. Not the same god at all from a theological perspective.

Zathras
01-18-2011, 11:27 AM

Hmmm, care to point out where the 72 virgin thing is for killing yourself is in the name of Jesus is in the Bible.

Otherwise do yourself a favor and shut the fuck up.

PoliCon
01-18-2011, 02:46 PM

spoken like someone who pretends to be a Christian. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
01-18-2011, 03:23 PM

What do you mean, "we", Goy?

Rockntractor
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Yes, but I particularly enjoy Yukon Cornelius' hubris in telling us what we already know, because he has some Muslim friends. That's much more impressive than having spent a year in Iraq, or several short tours in Kuwait, or having trained deploying units in Arab culture, which is all that I bring to the discussion. :rolleyes:

He stayed at a holiday inn once too!:rolleyes:

hampshirebrit
01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
What do you mean, "we", Goy?

LOL. Good point.

Odysseus
01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
He stayed at a holiday inn once too!:rolleyes:
Was it a Ramada Inn? Maybe he thought that he was celebrating the holiday?

LOL. Good point.
I do try. :D And Yucan't makes it so easy...