PDA

View Full Version : Burning incense linked to respiratory cancer

OwlMBA
08-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Is it the insence that's the problem, or the pot smoke they are trying to cover up?

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Burning incense may create a sweet scent, but regularly inhaling the smoke could put people at risk of cancers of the respiratory tract, researchers reported Monday.

In a study of more than 61,000 ethnic Chinese living in Singapore who were followed for up to 12 years, the investigators found a link between heavy incense use and various respiratory cancers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSPAT56944620080825

Eyelids
08-26-2008, 02:53 AM
What doesnt give you cancer now?

FlaGator
08-26-2008, 09:14 AM

Schwann's Fudge Ripple ice cream.

Rebel Yell
08-26-2008, 09:23 AM

For fuck's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is two consecutive days I've agreed with him. I really don't pay much attention to the whole "causes cancer" stuff. I honestly think they don't really know what causes cancer, but the medical field will never use the words I Don't Know.

jinxmchue
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM

Being stupid, obviously, since you're still around.

noonwitch
08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
What kind of air pollution levels do they have in Singapore? If it's anything like Bejing's, I doubt it's the incense causing the cancer.

Cleaner air is something we've really accomplished in an environmental sense, and it spans several administrations and local politicians of both parties. When I was a kid, we'd go to Detroit to visit relatives in the early 70s, and there was a noticeable cloud of fumes hanging over the city that we could see from Brighton and we could smell starting in Novi. The odor is pretty much limited to the downriver area, now, near the refineries on Zug Island and the Ford Rouge complex.