PDA

View Full Version : The Horror of the Day

megimoo
01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
The Horror of the Day
January 8, 2011 6:10 P.M.
By Jonah Goldberg

Iíve been trying to follow the story today while balancing some other obligations. Iíve been reading the instant-reaction on Twitter and on the web and Iíve been trying to filter out the urge to vent my rage at those who immediately shoe-horned these awful crimes into their ideological prism. There have been some truly disgusting displays of opportunism out there. I will confess to having made those kinds of mistakes in the past and I try very hard to learn from those mistakes.

If I had my druthers, the news networks would ban political commentators of all stripes for the first 24 hours after these kinds of tragedies. The rush to be wrong first is just too hard for some to resist. If anyone cares, my column on the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting captures pretty well my feelings about the day

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/256671/horror-day-jonah-goldberg

Comments:
The difference between Jared Loughlin and Nidal Hasan is a practical one. If you believe, as you probably do, that we have to take a hard line against Islamist extremists, we are taking about direct confrontation with a large chunk of a billion or so Muslims, and when I say direct confrontation, I'm talking exchange of weapons, because -- again, as you probably believe -- there's no talking to these millions upon millions of Islamist radicals.

As a practical matter, liberals accept the unfortunate reality that it's going to take a long, long time to bring a 13th Century religion into the 21st Century, and that the best way for that to happen is for predominatly Islamic countries to reach a level of civilized comfort that makes Jihad simply not worth the effort.

On the other hand, starry-eyed liberals actually continue to believe that good faith negotiations with the Tea Party and the GOP within the institutions established by our Constitution will eventually lead to mutually beneficial solutions. Liberals have not yet come to the conclusion that we had just better "target" Tea Partiers and the GOP, that there's no use talking to these nutjobs, that it's us or them.

01/09/11 06:39

@Bridey...you mean like here in the USA aside from the internet and the occasional brief interlude on FNC? (And, not to worry, the FCC is about to take that internet source away from us.) What most people would consider the "media" here (the MSM), with a few rare exceptions, is just as content homogeneous when a Democrat is in the White House as it is in any tin pot dictatorship anywhere in the world, whether it's done "officially" or not.

01/09/11 04:12

Night turns to morning, and they continue to lie and lie and lie. Is this a little bit, I wonder, like the frustration and powerlessness felt by people in nations that have only state-run media?

01/09/11 02:44

I have a question for those on the Left who visit this site and comment, particularly those who have made a link between this guy and the Tea Party or GOP.

Why is it not okay to use the acts of jihadists, suicide bombers, or other terrorists as representatives of Islam, but it's okay for you to use this nutjob as an example of a movement that represents millions of Americans, and is based on the founding principles of our country?

01/08/11 23:48

Well there are, you should understand, seldom more than a few short hours between the time that a tragic act occurs and when its perpetrator's political beliefs, if any, come to light. The Venomous Left needs to take advantage of every single minute to paint the perp as a right wing extremist, before the actual facts are known. After all, those hours are the most important in shaping the public's perceptions and recollections of the event.

Now if you'll exucse me, I'm off to read The Communist Manifesto, which, as you know, tops every good right winger's list of favorite books.

01/08/11 23:18

Weird how Sarah Palin's power is so awesome that she can convince an anarchist to shoot a moderate congressman using only a Facebook page. And at the same time, it seems like such a trivial use of such awesome power.

01/08/11 23:14

Krugman is making a horses rear end out of himself on this one.

"[Rep. Giffords has] been the target of violence before. And for those wondering why a Blue Dog Democrat, the kind Republicans might be able to work with, might be a target, the answer is that sheís a Democrat who survived what was otherwise a GOP sweep in Arizona, precisely because the Republicans nominated a Tea Party activist. (Her father says that ďthe whole Tea PartyĒ was her enemy.) And yes, she was on Sarah Palinís infamous ďcrosshairsĒ list.

Just yesterday, Ezra Klein remarked that opposition to health reform was getting scary. Actually, itís been scary for quite a while, in a way that already reminded many of us of the climate that preceded the Oklahoma City bombing.

You know that Republicans will yell about the evils of partisanship whenever anyone tries to make a connection between the rhetoric of Beck, Limbaugh, etc. and the violence I fear weíre going to see in the months and years ahead. But violent acts are what happen when you create a climate of hate. And itís long past time for the GOPís leaders to take a stand against the hate-mongers."

From what I read the shooter has an ideology (or lack of one) that can't be coherently described as left of right wing, my guess is he was influenced by "the Zeitgeist" which is a nutty mostly left wing (with quasi-libertarian influences) internet documentary made by someone who obviously never even peaked at a economics textbook.

I don't think I have ever heard Rush Limbaugh or Beck advocate violence, yet it is always talk radio, Sarah Palin was obviously not advocating violence (if any of them were, or even did or said anything that could be interpreted that way, the media would jump all over it). Mr. Krugman is so interested in curbing free speech on TV and Radio, maybe he wants to go after print next. It seems like this guy liked to read, maybe it was the books that triggered him,can't have those laying around some nut might read them and get the wrong idea. Or Hollywood movies.

Speaking of Hollywood movies, Krugman should move out there so they cast him as the gopher in Caddyshack 3.

01/08/11 23:13

I hate that a day of excellent football is diminished by these horrible acts. What a horrible senseless event.

NJCardFan
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Holy cow! He hit the nail on the head with this one:

I have a question for those on the Left who visit this site and comment, particularly those who have made a link between this guy and the Tea Party or GOP.

Why is it not okay to use the acts of jihadists, suicide bombers, or other terrorists as representatives of Islam, but it's okay for you to use this nutjob as an example of a movement that represents millions of Americans, and is based on the founding principles of our country?