PDA

View Full Version : 'Florida Police Cracking Down on Loud Booming Music In Cars "

megimoo
01-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Tom Palumbo likes to crank up the bass when he drives his purple 2005 Dodge Magnum. But after getting a $119 ticket in September for playing music too loudly on his car stereo, the 47-year-old Palm Bay, Fla., resident says he keeps his eyes peeled for local law enforcement when he's on the road..."noise pollution'"
(Snip)
Palumbo was one of the thousands of people ticketed last year under a Florida law that makes it a criminal offense to drive with a car stereo "plainly audible" to a police officer 25 feet or more away, according to the Florida Department of Highway
snip
Other cities have stepped up enforcement in the past year "because people don't want their homes and businesses invaded by thumping at all hours of the day and night, causing them to lose sleep, get headaches, experience chronic fatigue and suffer stress."
snip
"The facts are that folks that turn up their car radios so loud that it rattles your teeth when they pull alongside of you is not only rude and disruptive, but people get very angry and it causes confrontations," Smith says.

•The Elgin, Ill., City Council toughened its noise ordinance in 2009, adding a provision to impound the offending vehicle and double the fine to $500, Police Chief Jeff Swoboda says.

The combination of stiffer penalties and a massive education campaign helped police reduce the number of tickets issued by half, Swoboda says.

After his election in 2007, the City Council passed a car-noise ordinance making it a ticketable offense to play a car stereo that could be measured at more than 83 decibels from at least 35 feet, Moore says. Fines start at $250 for a first offense and run as high as $1,500, he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-01-10-loudcars10_ST_N.htm

Calypso Jones
01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
In Virginia it is supposedly illegal to play your car stereo so loudly that it interferes with other drivers. It doesn't appear to be enforced. I think it is the heighth of rudeness and immaturity to play your music so loudly that it is a disturbance or a nuisance to other people on the road, particularly at stop lights. This guy is 47?? what a moron.

megimoo
01-10-2011, 10:46 AM
In Virginia it is supposedly illegal to play your car stereo so loudly that it interferes with other drivers. It doesn't appear to be enforced. I think it is the heighth of rudeness and immaturity to play your music so loudly that it is a disturbance or a nuisance to other people on the road, particularly at stop lights. This guy is 47?? what a moron.I've had the booming of a car wake me at 3 am and the road is over 500 ft away .How can the idiot driving stand the sound pressure inside the car ?

Novaheart
01-10-2011, 10:54 AM
check out this barf bag

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/traffic-ticket-for-car-stereo-turns-into-legal-crusade-for-pinellas-lawyer/1109672

ST. PETERSBURG — Richard T. Catalano remembers quite clearly the morning his epic legal battle started.

He was driving to work. Justin Timberlake was playing on his car stereo. The windows were down. It was 7:34 a.m. Then police lights flashed behind him. He pulled his white 2003 Infiniti G35 over.

His car stereo was too loud, the officer told him.

"What are you talking about?" Catalano told him.

Catalano had run afoul of the state law combating the menace of booming car stereos. He protested — but to no avail.

The St. Petersburg police officer wrote him a $73.50 ticket.

noonwitch
01-10-2011, 11:08 AM
If your music makes the windows on my house rattle as you drive by, it's too damn loud.

Odysseus
01-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I used to live down the street from a club that closed at 0400 every night, which meant that from about 0401-0500, our street sounded like Studio 54. It was especially bad at my end of the block, because they would get stopped at the traffic light and sit there with their stereos blaring.

The best solution to something like that is an M72A2 LAW through their rear speakers.

megimoo
01-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I used to live down the street from a club that closed at 0400 every night, which meant that from about 0401-0500, our street sounded like Studio 54. It was especially bad at my end of the block, because they would get stopped at the traffic light and sit there with their stereos blaring.

The best solution to something like that is an M72A2 LAW through their rear speakers.Through the rear window Just like Saddam's kids .

NJCardFan
01-10-2011, 12:27 PM
check out this barf bag

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/traffic-ticket-for-car-stereo-turns-into-legal-crusade-for-pinellas-lawyer/1109672

ST. PETERSBURG — Richard T. Catalano remembers quite clearly the morning his epic legal battle started.

He was driving to work. Justin Timberlake was playing on his car stereo. The windows were down. It was 7:34 a.m. Then police lights flashed behind him. He pulled his white 2003 Infiniti G35 over.

His car stereo was too loud, the officer told him.

"What are you talking about?" Catalano told him.

Catalano had run afoul of the state law combating the menace of booming car stereos. He protested — but to no avail.

The St. Petersburg police officer wrote him a $73.50 ticket.
Actually, he should have been cited for listening to Justin Timberlake.

linda22003
01-10-2011, 12:46 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. You'd think he'd listen to it as quietly as possible so no one else would know.

NJCardFan
01-10-2011, 01:06 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. You'd think he'd listen to it as quietly as possible so no one else would know.

I thought I told you to go back under a rock. *runs*

linda22003
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I thought I told you to go back under a rock. *runs*

And now you know how likely it is that I'll listen to you. :p

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 01:36 PM
This law is fine for in town and neighborhoods, but if they stand by the road on rural highways and pull you over because your radio is too loud that's a bit much. I'd rather have them out there looking for speeders and reckless drivers and not whether Linda Numbers is rocking out to Copacabana on her stereo.

I'd hate to get a ticket for Barry Manilow.

Novaheart
01-10-2011, 01:46 PM

AT least it's age appropriate. I see a lot of guys in their 40's who appear to be stuck somewhere around 16. Then there are the couples you see on Harleys at Biff Burger on Sundays; they look like they are in a time warp.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/13/article-1242840-002E376900000258-931_468x471.jpg

Rockntractor
01-10-2011, 01:47 PM
This law is fine for in town and neighborhoods, but if they stand by the road on rural highways and pull you over because your radio is too loud that's a bit much. I'd rather have them out there looking for speeders and reckless drivers and not whether Linda Numbers is rocking out to Copacabana on her stereo.

I picture her more with an IPOD and ear buds, singing at the top of her lungs off key!

Rockntractor
01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
AT least it's age appropriate. I see a lot of guys in their 40's who appear to be stuck somewhere around 16. Then there are the couples you see on Harleys at Biff Burger on Sundays; they look like they are in a time warp.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/13/article-1242840-002E376900000258-931_468x471.jpg

Bubba would hit that!:eek:

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I picture her more with an IPOD and ear buds, singing at the top of her lungs off key!

Copa...Copa-cabana
The hottest thing this side
Of Havana.....

Something Something Something

Copa...Copa-cabana
Of Havana.....

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 01:51 PM

Dang right I would.

The chick too.

Rockntractor
01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Copa...Copa-cabana
Of Havana.....

Something Something Something

Copa...Copa-cabana
Of Havana.....

They would back away from her car and leave at full speed!:eek:

Novaheart
01-10-2011, 01:54 PM

I'm not sure what I would prefer that they do, but it just seems so dated. At a minimum she needs a waist chain because those square shorts make her look kind of beamy.

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure what I would prefer that they do, but it just seems so dated. At a minimum she needs a waist chain because those square shorts make her look kind of beamy.

She has large breasts.

Heavy black and pendulous......

Rockntractor
01-10-2011, 01:58 PM

The lady wrestler look, she would have her way with Bubba!:D

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 02:00 PM
The lady wrestler look, she would have her way with Bubba!:D

She would make me whimper and squeeeeeel.......

Odysseus
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
That's assuming that they didn't draw on you and shoot out your stereo. Manilow is considered lethal force. :D

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 02:17 PM
That's assuming that they didn't draw on you and shoot out your stereo. Manilow is considered lethal force. :D

Yepper. A terroristic threat if ever there were one. :D

Odysseus
01-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Yepper. A terroristic threat if ever there were one. :D

Hmmmm... Okay, this has some potential for mischief. What song would you not want to hear on a four-wheeled boombox, not because it's loud, but because it sucks? For that matter, what song would the kind of person who owns one of those things not be likely to play? My nominations:

Afternoon Delight (Starland Vocal Band)
Theme from A Summer Place (Percy Faith)
It's a Small World After All (Disney)
Anything by Barry Manilow, Michael Bolton, Justin Beiber, Zamphir, the Spice Girls or any boy band.

hoplophobe
01-10-2011, 04:54 PM
What is worse, a loud stereo or a Harley with straight pipes?

megimoo
01-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Hmmmm... Okay, this has some potential for mischief. What song would you not want to hear on a four-wheeled boombox, not because it's loud, but because it sucks? For that matter, what song would the kind of person who owns one of those things not be likely to play? My nominations:

Anything by Barry Manilow, Michael Bolton, Justin Beiber, Zamphir, the Spice Girls or any boy band.

Anything with a boom, anything above 134 dB SPL at 300 ft at 3am in the morning .

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters(S&M)
Eric Clapton - Cocaine
Corazón espinado-Maná-Santana
Oye Como Va - Carlos Santana
Santana & Clapton - Jingo

lacarnut
01-10-2011, 06:37 PM
What is worse, a loud stereo or a Harley with straight pipes?

The Harley riders I see, ride on the weekends and very seldom at night. I live on a busy street so I get a lot of punks driving with blaring boom boom sounds or rap crap.

Odysseus
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Anything with a boom, anything above 134 dB SPL at 300 ft at 3am in the morning .

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters(S&M)
Eric Clapton - Cocaine
Corazón espinado-Maná-Santana
Oye Como Va - Carlos Santana
Santana & Clapton - Jingo

Yeah, but no song is appreciated at 3AM. I'm talking about music that not only indicts the listener as an inconsiderate lowlife, but also identifies him as a completely tasteless moron.

Madisonian
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but no song is appreciated at 3AM. I'm talking about music that not only indicts the listener as an inconsiderate lowlife, but also identifies him as a completely tasteless moron.

"Ice Ice Baby" anyone?

Rockntractor
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I remember many years ago when I lived in an apartment, a car outside my window had an alarm that went off and after a half an hour nobody had done a thing about it. I found the horn with a lug wrench and it was nice and quiet.:D

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 09:32 PM

All good choices.

I think Sugar Sugar by The Archies. Afternoon Delight is a close second. :D