PDA

View Full Version : Snow on Snow...And Ice

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 11:52 AM
National Weather Service

Winter storm warning in effect until 7 pm est this evening.

Rest Of Today: freezing rain and sleet late in the morning, then a chance of freezing rain and sleet in the afternoon. New sleet less than one quarter inch. Total snow accumulation up to 6 inches. New ice accumulation of less than one tenth of an inch. Highs around 30. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Tonight: cloudy with a slight chance of light freezing drizzle. Lows in the mid 20s. Northeast winds 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 20 percent.

Tuesday: mostly cloudy with a slight chance of light freezing drizzle in the morning. Highs in the upper 30s. West winds 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Tuesday Night: mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 20s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

WSB Weather Atlanta Channel 2

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
We still have power. (Yaay)!:D

We have about 7 inches of snow. It is beautiful. I parked a car about halfway down The Mountain so we can hopefully get out tomorrow.

In a pinch I can get out in the Big Ole Dodge.

Molon Labe
01-10-2011, 11:55 AM
We still have power. (Yaay)!:D

We have about 7 inches of snow. It is beautiful. I parked a car about halfway down The Mountain so we can hopefully get out tomorrow.

In a pinch I can get out in the Big Ole Dodge.

That's really rare in Atlanta area isn't it?

The brunt of this one's probably going to miss us because it's so far to the south.

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
http://images.ibsys.com/atl/images/weather/auto/time1_640x480.jpg

The white is snow. The pink is freezing rain that may move over us at some point.

Rockntractor
01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
We don't have any freezing rain and so far the snow minimal, I'll probably go out and check wells this afternoon, but that is all I will do as far as paying work.

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 12:01 PM
That's really rare in Atlanta area isn't it?

The brunt of this one's probably going to miss us because it's so far to the south.

Yes. Atlanta goes bananas when they get even a little snow. When they get a few inches down there it is a major event.

Hartsfield Airport is being significantly affected and if Hartsfield is affected a whole lot of other places are wffected.

I-20 is shut down. Not sure about other roads but the TV news is saying it is really bad on all roads. Temps are not going above freezing today and the precip continues as freezing rain.

Lots of schools and business closed. My office is closed today.

Bubba Dawg
01-10-2011, 12:03 PM
We don't have any freezing rain and so far the snow minimal, I'll probably go out and check wells this afternoon, but that is all I will do as far as paying work.

Stay safe out there Rock. Bubba is gonna keep his Big-Ole-Behind on The Mountain unless there is some emergency.

Freezing rain on top of all this snow is gonna be a mess.

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Crap. Nothing has melted. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Butcus.

Some freezing rain overnight. It just got up to 32 at 11:50. Still overcast and we may have more flurries.

Bailey
01-11-2011, 12:02 PM
What wussies, up in newark we are getting at least 8 to 12 inches and this isnt the biggest storm so far this year, 24 to 31 was ;)

So man up....:D

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
What wussies, up in newark we are getting at least 8 to 12 inches and this isnt the biggest storm so far this year, 24 to 31 was ;)

So man up....:D

:p:D

The roads are the problem here. We don't have enough snow that often to have a lot of equipment for the rural roads (where I live). I have a four wheel drive I can use on snow but if the stuff is slow to melt then it slushes up and refreezes overnight and even a four wheel drive has problems on that kind of ice. Plus the freezing rain has caused a lot of power outages (not mine, thankfully) and that affects a lot of people. Temps are not supposed to be over 32 degrees tomorrow and Thursday, when we are supposed to get more freezing rain or snow.

I have emergency heat and can cook if the power goes out. Some folks don't prepare so well.

Anyway, Bubba is staying on The Mountain today unless there is an emergency. My office was closed yesterday and today because of the roads. Don't know about tomorrow yet.

Rockntractor
01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm thawing water pipes.:(

Gingersnap
01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

I hate doing that. :(

Bailey
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
:p:D

The roads are the problem here. We don't have enough snow that often to have a lot of equipment for the rural roads (where I live). I have a four wheel drive I can use on snow but if the stuff is slow to melt then it slushes up and refreezes overnight and even a four wheel drive has problems on that kind of ice. Plus the freezing rain has caused a lot of power outages (not mine, thankfully) and that affects a lot of people. Temps are not supposed to be over 32 degrees tomorrow and Thursday, when we are supposed to get more freezing rain or snow.

I have emergency heat and can cook if the power goes out. Some folks don't prepare so well.

Anyway, Bubba is staying on The Mountain today unless there is an emergency. My office was closed yesterday and today because of the roads. Don't know about tomorrow yet.

I have a buddy in KY who kids school was closed for just 2 and a half inches of snow. :D

Bailey
01-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Dont you leave them trickling so they wont freeze up?

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Dont you leave them trickling so they wont freeze up?

Rock's pipe trickles?