PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone name a liberal, progressive or 'left' pundit who's called for violence?

Adam Wood
01-10-2011, 04:18 PM
LOL! Self-pwnage at the DUmp (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x164825).

Octafish (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-10-11 02:25 PM
Original message
Can anyone name a liberal, progressive or 'left' pundit who's called for violence?
"I tell people don't kill all the liberals. Leave enough so we can have two on every campus--living fossils--so we we'll never forget what these people stood for."

Can anyone find a liberal, progressive or "leftist" pundit who has called for violence against conservatives?

Can anyone find a liberal, progressive or "leftist" pundit who has called for violence against anyone?

Sorry to break it to Rush and his dittoheads, I can't find a single one.

The reason: The lefties I know actually care for ALL people -- even people with whom they disagree.
Uh huh. Do you even read around DU?

Cetacea (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-10-11 02:31 PM
Response to Original message
2. Nope.I wouldn't be a liberal if they did.
k&R
Of course. A variation on the usual line. "Liberals can't be racists because then they wouldn't be liberals. We must help the brown people because they can't take care of themselves!"

hack89 (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-10-11 02:51 PM
Response to Original message
17. How about a Democratic Congressman?
U.S. Rep. Paul E. Kanjorski sometimes talks now as if he's free to say anything.

The Nanticoke Democrat has finally achieved a certain stature as chairman of the House Financial Services Committee's capital markets subcommittee, having written key parts of the Wall Street reform bill. He apparently chats fairly regularly with President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden or their staffs. He's good friends with former President Bill Clinton, who will campaign locally for him again Tuesday.
"That Scott down there that's running for governor of Florida," Mr. Kanjorski said. "Instead of running for governor of Florida, they ought to have him and shoot him. Put him against the wall and shoot him. He stole billions of dollars from the United States government and he's running for governor of Florida. He's a millionaire and a billionaire. He's no hero. He's a damn crook. It's just we don't prosecute big crooks."

http://thetimes-tribune.com/opinion/editorials-columns/roderick-random/kanjorski-ponders-nuts-bolts-from-blue-1.1052739#ixzz1AfSglTI7

The silence is deafening. :D

hoplophobe
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Ted Rall, calling for a violent revolution?
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/09/msnbcs-dylan-ratigan-ted-rall-call-for-violent-revolution/

Apache
01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Randy Rhodes....

Dan D. Doty
01-10-2011, 06:34 PM
What about the Priest up Chicago; Obama's buddy, flagger, or something.

He said something about gun dealers should be "wasted".

Novaheart
01-10-2011, 07:06 PM
LOL! Self-pwnage at the DUmp (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x164825).

Uh huh. Do you even read around DU?

Of course. A variation on the usual line. "Liberals can't be racists because then they wouldn't be liberals. We must help the brown people because they can't take care of themselves!"

The silence is deafening. :D

I can't honestly say that I am aware of a counterpart for what I hear on conservative talk radio. I listen to Glenn Beck, Todd Schnitt, Mark Levine, Rush Limbaugh, and the general nastiness of all of them plus the pure ranting and raving of Mark Levine is unmatched in TONE by the people I hear on Democracy Now and Free Speech Radio.

And they'll all go along sounding fairly reasonable, even intelligent and agreeable (except for that nutcase on the other talk radio who is constantly screaming about the economy and how you should be buying canned food and gold) , and then they will wander into right wing bullshit. But still, despite the fact that all of these guys are total assholes and liars when it comes to Single Payer, none of them is as high on my shit list as Amy Goodman.

But no, I haven't heard the kind of outright nastiness on left wing radio as on conservative radio. But I end up turning off both left and right because I find both to be obnoxious and dishonest.

AmPat
01-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I can't honestly say that I am aware of a counterpart for what I hear on conservative talk radio. I listen to Glenn Beck, Todd Schnitt, Mark Levine, Rush Limbaugh, and the general nastiness of all of them plus the pure ranting and raving of Mark Levine is unmatched in TONE by the people I hear on Democracy Now and Free Speech Radio.

And they'll all go along sounding fairly reasonable, even intelligent and agreeable (except for that nutcase on the other talk radio who is constantly screaming about the economy and how you should be buying canned food and gold) , and then they will wander into right wing bullshit. But still, despite the fact that all of these guys are total assholes and liars when it comes to Single Payer, none of them is as high on my shit list as Amy Goodman.

But no, I haven't heard the kind of outright nastiness on left wing radio as on conservative radio. But I end up turning off both left and right because I find both to be obnoxious and dishonest.
Yet surprisingly, quite unexplainable, you the liberal came off in this post as "extremely nasty" in tone.

Weird huh?:confused::rolleyes:

Novaheart
01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Yet surprisingly, quite unexplainable, you the liberal came off in this post as "extremely nasty" in tone.

Weird huh?:confused::rolleyes:

Go fuck yourself. I'm not nasty, you're just a hypersensitive turdball.

Rockntractor
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM

This post says otherwise.

Adam Wood
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM

But no, I haven't heard the kind of outright nastiness on left wing radio as on conservative radio. But I end up turning off both left and right because I find both to be obnoxious and dishonest.I have never heard any conservative talker go around actually calling for violence. This is an imaginary construct of the Left. Just look at the hysteria over the "crosshairs" picture. Nowhere does that even remotely connote any sort of "violence," and yet the Left has cranked up the ol' Outrage O-1000 to eleven in a desperate move to draw some line between that and this nutbag in Tucson. You know who has made overt threats? Randi Rhodes (http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=30058). Reverse those roles and make it Rush Limbaugh using the sounds of gunfire juxtaposed against someone telling Obama not to push his healthcare debacle and I gurandamntee you that Limbaugh would be under the prison within 24 hours.

stsinner
01-10-2011, 08:27 PM

You sound a lot like this guy..

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/jared-loughner-s-mugshot-appears-in-arizona-court

Lager
01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
proud2BlibKansan (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-10-11 08:17 PM
Response to Original message (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x164366#164366)

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x164366

14. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think this is such a bad idea First of all, I doubt the legislation would pass. But I like it because crosshairs
on a map = Sarah Palin. The more attention she gets, the more she is connected to this tragedy, the faster her political future is dead.

Wasn't this loser a contender for dummie of the year? So basically this tosser is saying "I really don't give a damn about the innocent victims of a slaughter, I just want to see Palin go down." What a doucher.

malloc
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I don't think we even have to look at the pundits. Look at the words President Obama and his VP choose to describe political discourse:

I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!

Punish your enemies!

If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun.

We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.

Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”

I am going to strangle all Republicans who don’t agree with me politically.

The main difference is, conservatives can hear these quotes and know that they aren't literal, and that the speaker is using imagery to focus on their point. We can fill in the blanks and know that Obama was looking for an ass to kick with fines over the oil spill, or was telling Hispanics to punish their enemies at the polls. Though the mental imagery of Biden trying to go toe to toe with, and strangle, Jim DeMint is hilarious, I know that's not literally what Biden meant.

Progressives seem to have that patented left wing selective mental block cemented in place. When a conservative says, "Don't retreat, reload." that conservative is inciting violence and making crazy people do crazy things while putting kittens in a blender. However, when progressives hear another progressive say, "let's bring guns to this knife fight," that progressive is just being figurative and poetic.

The double standard the left wing has for almost everything under the sun is expected and not at all a surprise. However, when our misinformation ministry, the left wing media parrots these lies with the exact same selective double standard, it gets old, really, really quick.

The way they coordinated this line of B.S. immediately following the attack on Rep. Giffords and her guests tells me that the Journolist scandal didn't even put a hiccup in the MSM's internal anti-right communication, command and control structure.

Articulate_Ape
01-10-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't think we even have to look at the pundits. Look at the words President Obama and his VP choose to describe political discourse:

The main difference is, conservatives can hear these quotes and know that they aren't literal, and that the speaker is using imagery to focus on their point. We can fill in the blanks and know that Obama was looking for an ass to kick with fines over the oil spill, or was telling Hispanics to punish their enemies at the polls. Though the mental imagery of Biden trying to go toe to toe with, and strangle, Jim DeMint is hilarious, I know that's not literally what Biden meant.

Progressives seem to have that patented left wing selective mental block cemented in place. When a conservative says, "Don't retreat, reload." that conservative is inciting violence and making crazy people do crazy things while putting kittens in a blender. However, when progressives hear another progressive say, "let's bring guns to this knife fight," that progressive is just being figurative and poetic.

The double standard the left wing has for almost everything under the sun is expected and not at all a surprise. However, when our misinformation ministry, the left wing media parrots these lies with the exact same selective double standard, it gets old, really, really quick.

The way they coordinated this line of B.S. immediately following the attack on Rep. Giffords and her guests tells me that the Journolist scandal didn't even put a hiccup in the MSM's internal anti-right communication, command and control structure.

Spot, fucking on, Malloc!

Pardon my rhetoric, any DUmasses reading this, I didn't mean...Eh what the hell, go for that spot, you know you want it. Knock yourselves out.

NJCardFan
01-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Wasn't this loser a contender for dummie of the year? So basically this tosser is saying "I really don't give a damn about the innocent victims of a slaughter, I just want to see Palin go down." What a doucher.

Hence this makes them more reprehensible than they could ever dream we could be.

AmPat
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM

I rest my case.;)

AmPat
01-11-2011, 10:20 AM

It isn't as innocent as this. Liberal retards (I know, redundant), know that it is figurative. They willingly choose to make it political. It is part of their sickness.

movie buff
01-11-2011, 11:20 AM
In addition to the examples given here, Michael Moore's book 'Stupid White Men' has a chapter entitled 'Kill Whitey.'

NJCardFan
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm loving how these people keep trotting out Palin's crosshairs map yet ignore the 2004 map with actual bulleyes on it and terms like "enemy" and "ripe targets". Have a looksee:
http://american-conservativevalues.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/BP_0405_heartland1.gif

But like I said, they believe they are right so this is justified.

Bailey
01-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm loving how these people keep trotting out Palin's crosshairs map yet ignore the 2004 map with actual bulleyes on it and terms like "enemy" and "ripe targets". Have a looksee:
http://american-conservativevalues.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/BP_0405_heartland1.gif

But like I said, they believe they are right so this is justified.

I saw that over on DU and they say well those targets are for archery and how many massacres have happened with arrows? God they are dumb over there.

Lager
01-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Of course let's not forget Alec Baldwin (who has often talked about running for dem political office) when he said

" If we would all right now, all of us together, all of us together would go down to Washington and we would stone Henry Hyde to death! We would stone him to death! [crowd cheers] Wait! Shut up! Shut up! No shut up! I’m not finished. We would stone Henry Hyde to death and we would go to their homes and we’d kill their wives and their children. We would kill their families."

Lager
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Here's how the du reacted, yet they insist no one on the site has ever condoned violence against anyone.

http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=104&topic_id=3038287&mesg_id=3038484

No Exit (1000+ posts) Tue Feb-01-05 02:08 PM
Response to Original message (http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=104&topic_id=3038287&mesg_id=3038287)
22. What Alec Baldwin recommended for Henry Hyde...http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/transparent.gifI envision for William Kristol. And throw in his father, while we're at it.

Okay, I'm not advocating it--just venting.

Why is this sneaky, smirking, amoral, greedy little psychopath allowed to have so much influence on our (for lack of better words) foreign policy???? What, has he got pics of Bush or Cheney with a goat or something?

Wei Wu Wei
01-11-2011, 12:36 PM

How did you reach your conclusion? Democracy Now clearly has a liberal audience but their reporting seems to be very high quality and they tend to keep the nonsense opinions off the air. The right wing pundits have a very simple strategy, they speak using certain phrases and topics to appeal to "hard working real Americans", talking about what it's like growing up and struggling and all this jazz, only to switch right over and talk total nonsense.

What ends up happening is that people trust the pundits because they spent the last 40 minutes talking about old talks with grandpa and walking to school and "the good ol' days", not to mention reinforcing the same set of traditional values so that everyone who listens thinks "oh this guy really gets it, he's down to earth and I can relate to him, I'll trust him", and then often subtly and often not so subtly they straight up lie and misrepresent news to get people to vote Republican.

In what way is Democracy Now close to this?

Wei Wu Wei
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I saw that over on DU and they say well those targets are for archery and how many massacres have happened with arrows? God they are dumb over there.

lol

movie buff
01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Here's how the du reacted, yet they insist no one on the site has ever condoned violence against anyone.

http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=104&topic_id=3038287&mesg_id=3038484

Oh yeah, and don't even get STARTED on the DU threads calling for violence and/ or wishing death on conservatives!
One that I'll never forget (Though the DUmmies probably have, since it was an embarassment for them and was locked and removed before too long) had the DUmmies talking about what movie character's death they'd like to see happen to Bush, Cheney, and other Republicans. Some of the charming suggestions offered by the DUmmies included having them melt like the Wicked Witch of the West, and having them explode like Mr. Big from 'Live and Let Die.' One DUmmy in that thread asked if any movies have a villain die by drowning in a vat of oil, saying that's how he'd like to see Bush die.
Plus, just a few weeks ago, there was a DU thread on what to do if aliens contacted us. One DUmmy stated that they should convince the aliens to use their death rays to kill all Republicans.

NJCardFan
01-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Oh yeah, and don't even get STARTED on the DU threads calling for violence and/ or wishing death on conservatives!
One that I'll never forget (Though the DUmmies probably have, since it was an embarassment for them and was locked and removed before too long) had the DUmmies talking about what movie character's death they'd like to see happen to Bush, Cheney, and other Republicans. Some of the charming suggestions offered by the DUmmies included having them melt like the Wicked Witch of the West, and having them explode like Mr. Big from 'Live and Let Die.' One DUmmy in that thread asked if any movies have a villain die by drowning in a vat of oil, saying that's how he'd like to see Bush die.
Plus, just a few weeks ago, there was a DU thread on what to do if aliens contacted us. One DUmmy stated that they should convince the aliens to use their death rays to kill all Republicans.

Chris Matthews said this, on TV no less, about Rush Limbaugh. But, noooo, liberals never have hateful rhetoric. But like I keep saying, the reason why they don't see it because they believe their feelings to be justified.

movie buff
01-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh, and one more:
For ilberal pundits calling for violence, "Reverend" Al Sharpton has literally buckets of blood on his hands, between directly inciting the 1995 Freddy's Fashion Mart incident, the Crown Heights riots, and several other acts of violence.

jediab
01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh, and one more:
For ilberal pundits calling for violence, "Reverend" Al Sharpton has literally buckets of blood on his hands, between directly inciting the 1995 Freddy's Fashion Mart incident, the Crown Heights riots, and several other acts of violence.

Which good ol Al refuses to admint that he is responsible for any of that actions people took on that day.

Apocalypse
01-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Original message
Can anyone name a liberal, progressive or 'left' pundit who's called for violence?
"I tell people don't kill all the liberals. Leave enough so we can have two on every campus--living fossils--so we we'll never forget what these people stood for."

Can anyone find a liberal, progressive or "leftist" pundit who has called for violence against conservatives?

Can anyone find a liberal, progressive or "leftist" pundit who has called for violence against anyone?

The reason: The lefties I know actually care for ALL people -- even people with whom they disagree.

I dont even have to try.

Maher: You could have went to New Hampshire and killed two birds with one stone.

Kerry: Or, I could have gone to 1600 Pennsylvania and killed the real bird with one stone.

http://newsbusters.org/node/8175

I mean right now, I could kill George Bush, no problem. No, I don’t mean that. I mean — how could you nonviolently kill somebody? I would love to be able to do that.

http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/wp-content/images2009/kilborn.jpg
August 4, 2000 CBS’s The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn

enslaved1
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Original message

Here's (http://www.mrc.org/press/releases/2011/20110112103622.aspx) a top ten list from Media Research Center

■ “I’m waiting for the day when I pick it up, pick up a newspaper or click on the Internet and find out he’s choked to death on his own throat fat or a great big wad of saliva or something, you know, whatever. Go away, Rush, you make me sick!” — Left-wing radio host Mike Malloy on the January 4, 2010 Mike Malloy Show, talking about Rush Limbaugh going to the hospital after suffering chest pains.

■ “Rush Limbaugh is beginning to look more and more like Mr. Big, and at some point somebody’s going to jam a CO2 pellet into his head and he’s going to explode like a giant blimp. That day may come. Not yet, but we’ll be there to watch.” — Chris Matthews on MSNBC’s Morning Meeting, October 13, 2009.

■ “So, Michele, slit your wrist! Go ahead! [chuckles] I mean, you know, why not? I mean, if you want to — or, you know, do us all a better thing. Move that knife up about two feet. I mean, start right at the collarbone.” — Montel Williams talking about Representative Michele Bachmann on Air America’s Montel Across America, September 2, 2009.

■ “He is an enemy of the country, in my opinion, Dick Cheney is, he is an enemy of the country.... You know, Lord, take him to the Promised Land, will you? See, I don’t even wish the guy goes to Hell, I just want to get him the hell out of here.” — Ed Schultz, The Ed Schultz Show, May 11, 2009.

■ Author/humorist P.J. O’Rourke: “It’s the twilight of the radio loud-mouth, you know? I knew it from the moment the fat guy-”
Host Bill Maher: “You mean Rush Limbaugh and Sean-”
O’Rourke: “-from the moment the fat guy refused to share his drugs....”
Maher: “You mean the OxyContin that he was on?...Why couldn’t he have croaked from it instead of Heath Ledger?” — HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher, February 8, 2008.

■ “I hear about Tony Snow and say to myself, well, stand up every day, lie to the American people at the behest of your dictator-esque boss and well, how could a cancer NOT grow in you. Work for Fox News, spinning the truth in to a billion knots and how can your gut not rot?” — San Francisco radio talk show host Charles Karel Bouley in a March 27, 2007 article at The Huffington Post that was later pulled “at the request of the author.”

■ “I’m just saying if he did die, other people, more people would live. That’s a fact.” — Host Bill Maher on his HBO show Real Time, March 2, 2007, discussing how a few commenters at a left-wing blog were upset that an attempt to kill Vice President Cheney in Afghanistan had failed.

■ “Earlier today, a rental truck carried a half a million ballots from Palm Beach to the Florida Supreme Court there in Tallahassee. CNN had live helicopter coverage from the truck making its way up the Florida highway, and for a few brief moments, America held the hope that O.J. Simpson had murdered Katherine Harris.” — Bill Maher on ABC’s Politically Incorrect, November 30, 2000.

■ Host Tina Gulland: “I don’t think I have any Jesse Helms defenders here. Nina?”
NPR’s Nina Totenberg: “Not me. I think he ought to be worried about what’s going on in the Good Lord’s mind, because if there is retributive justice, he’ll get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will get it.” — Exchange on the July 8, 1995 Inside Washington, after Helms said the government spends too much on AIDS.

■ “I hope his wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter and he dies early like many black men do, of heart disease....He is an absolutely reprehensible person.” — USA Today columnist and Pacifica Radio talk show host Julianne Malveaux on Justice Clarence Thomas, November 4, 1994 PBS To the Contrary.

These and others are listed here (http://www.mrc.org/realitycheck/realitycheck/2011/20110111020540.aspx) and more are being dredged up everyday, without any pundits putting up a bounty for footage of them, like a certain other accusation from the recent past. Put that in your pipe and smoke it DUmmies.

This whole mess sickens me. The only concern any one should have right now is that the wounded heal, the survivors heal, and this nutjob get justice. Instead, opportunistic dirtbags are leaping on the chance to further their agendas, some before the bodies were even cold.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/righteous_slave/GuideforJournalisticlyChallenged.jpg