PDA

View Full Version : Why Is The Solar Corona at 1 million˚C, 200 times Hotter than the Surface .

megimoo
01-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Discovered on the Sun :Why Is The Solar Corona at 1 million˚C, 200 times Hotter than the Surface .

The mystery of the solar corona is obvious enough. The vanishingly thin atmosphere of the sun—the wispy stuff that can be glimpsed faintly during total solar eclipses—simmers at 1 million˚C, 200 times hotter than the "fire" beneath it. What gives? Researchers now believe they have caught the sun in the act of heating bits of itself to coronal temperatures and jetting those bits up into the corona.
snip
they can trace jets of plasma, or ionized gas, rising into the corona.
The jets ascend at 180,000 to 360,000 kilometers per hour ( 223 693.629 mph) from 300-kilometer-wide bright spots on the surface called spicules. Within its less-than-2-minute lifetime, a jet's temperature soars, some parts reaching corona-like temperatures of about a million degrees. And, most telling, "we found them everywhere," says De Pontieu, and "they go up, but they don't come down."

A rough estimate suggests that the energy that these roaring jets deliver to the corona might well account for its heating, says De Pontieu. "We're not saying it's the dominant mode," he adds. "We are saying it's time to reconsider what kinds of processes are involved." Many theorists had placed their heating mechanisms up in the corona itself, but De Pontieu sees the focus moving down to near the sun's visible surface where these jets originate.

"They've discovered a new phenomenon," says solar astrophysicist Spiro Antiochos of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. The pervasiveness of the hot, corona-penetrating jets "doesn't prove their phenomenon is the only one heating the corona. It does show it's a ubiquitous phenomenon. That's one test." The next test should be more detailed modeling, Antiochos says, followed by even better observations using NASA's Interface Region Imaging Spectrograph, to be launched in December 2012. Modeling and new observations might even reveal what drives these jets.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/01/really-hot-doins-discovered-on-t.html?ref=hp

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
So, the solar corona has SUVs? :D

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Buddy of mine had a Corona. Little sumbich was always hotter inside than the center of the sun. Even when he left the windows cracked.

Starbuck
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I am always impressed with the people who figure out how to make these outrageous measurements from the comfort of home.

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I am always impressed with the people who figure out how to make these outrageous measurements from the comfort of home.

I would never measure Little Elvis outside my home. ;)

megimoo
01-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Actually it's measured by a probe in space.It Sends back raw data at the rate of One and a half terabytes per day .The next generation probe about to be launched will much improve the resolution !It's important to understand the mechanism that heats the corona as it directly affects earths weather.

FBIGuy
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I once drank a Corona while sitting in an SUV during a summer vacation to Arizona. It felt like it was about a million degrees.

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I once drank a Corona while sitting in an SUV during a summer vacation to Arizona. It felt like it was about a million degrees.

But it was a dry heat...

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I would never measure Little Elvis outside my home. ;)
Just trim the sideburns, man.

Actually it's measured by a probe in space.It Sends back raw data at the rate of One and a half terabytes per day .The next generation probe about to be launched will much improve the resolution !It's important to understand the mechanism that heats the corona as it directly affects earths weather.

I hate space probes. The aliens never give you a reach-around, and they never call you the next day.

AmPat
01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
It is hotter in the middle because that's where the furnace is. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

megimoo
01-11-2011, 04:52 PM
It is hotter in the middle because that's where the furnace is. Sheesh!:rolleyes:
The question is why is the corona hotter than the surface.The center is about 27 million degrees Fahrenheit,the visible surface is about 10,000 degrees F but the corona is about 3.6 million degrees F .Whats heating the corona (the part just above the surface) to that temperature.

Bubba Dawg
01-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Just trim the sideburns, man.

I hate space probes. The aliens never give you a reach-around, and they never call you the next day.

Nice. :D:D

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 05:33 PM
The question is why is the corona hotter than the surface.The center is about 27 million degrees Fahrenheit,the visible surface is about 10,000 degrees F but the corona is about 3.6 million degrees F .Whats heating the corona (the part just above the surface) to that temperature.

SUVs. Carbon emissions. Republicans. Whatever. :rolleyes:

megimoo
01-11-2011, 05:41 PM
SUVs. Carbon emissions. Republicans. Whatever. :rolleyes:No Mind For Technical details Major ?

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 06:01 PM
No Mind For Technical details Major ?

Hey, if it worked for Al Gore... :D

megimoo
01-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Hey, if it worked for Al Gore... :DAll is levity these days.