PDA

View Full Version : France is our biggest ally, declares Obama: President's blow to Britain

Gingersnap
01-11-2011, 10:20 AM
France is our biggest ally, declares Obama: President's blow to Special Relationship with Britain

By Tim Shipman
Last updated at 3:02 PM on 11th January 2011

Barack Obama has declared that France is America’s greatest ally, undermining Britain’s Special Relationship with the U.S.

The President risked offending British troops in Afghanistan by saying that French president Nicolas Sarkozy is a ‘stronger friend’ than David Cameron.

The remarks, during a White House appearance with Mr Sarkozy, will reinforce the widely-held view in British diplomatic circles that Mr Obama has less interest in the Special Relationship than any other recent American leader.

http://i53.tinypic.com/34ookd4.jpg
Offence: President Obama said France is America's greatest ally, which has caused anger in Britain

Mr Obama said: 'We don’t have a stronger friend and stronger ally than Nicolas Sarkozy, and the French people.'

The comments follow a pattern of coldness towards the UK. When Gordon Brown was prime minister, Mr Obama snubbed his requests for meetings in the U.S.

He also denounced Britain during his inauguration speech.

The UK has lost nearly 350 troops in the war against the Taliban – seven times as many as France.

And there are more than 10,000 British soldiers serving in Helmand province, compared with just 3,850 Frenchmen.Mr Obama's stance was swiftly condemned in Westminster.
OBAMA'S LINKS TO BRITAIN

Despite his stepmother Kezia making Bracknell in Berkshire her home, Barack Obama's perceived coldness towards the UK may stem from his family's history with the British.

According to his Kenyan family, Hussein Onyango Obama, Mr Obama’s paternal grandfather, was arrested and jailed for two years after working as a cook for a British army officer after the second world war.

They say he was tortured for information on the Kenyan independence movement.

Sarah Onyango, Hussein Onyango’s third wife and the woman Mr Obama is said to refer to as 'Granny Sarah', told reporters: 'The African warders were instructed by the white soldiers to whip him every morning and evening till he confessed.'

In his memoir, Dreams From My Father, Mr Obama refers briefly to the imprisonment but states that his grandfather was 'found innocent' and held for 'more than six months'.

Tory MP Patrick Mercer, a former commander of the Sherwood Foresters regiment, said: 'I’m getting a bit fed up with the American President using terms like "best ally" so loosely.

'It’s Britain that has had more than 300 servicemen killed in Afghanistan, not France.

'That to my mind is a lot more powerful than any political gesture making.'

The remarks also angered conservatives in Washington.

Nile Gardiner, director of the Margaret Thatcher Centre For Freedom at the Heritage Foundation think-tank, said: 'Quite what the French have done to merit this kind of high praise from the U.S. President is difficult to fathom.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346006/Barack-Obama-declares-France-biggest-ally-blow-Special-Relationship-Britain.html#ixzz1AjxODlef

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
At least we know why he's not going to Andrew's wedding.

Gingersnap
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Could this guy be more tone-deaf? :mad:

noonwitch
01-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Obama didn't say that France was a stronger ally than Britain, he didn't even mention Britain. All he said was that we have no bigger ally than France, while he was visiting with the french prime minister.

The rest of the article is inferences and suppositions by the writer.

fettpett
01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Obama didn't say that France was a stronger ally than Britain, he didn't even mention Britain. All he said was that we have no bigger ally than France, while he was visiting with the french prime minister.

true, which when taken in context of past actions shows his attitude toward the British. This dude can not separate his personal feelings from that of being the leader of the the US, and not just on this topic.

It's fine to express personal opinion but he doesn't know discretion and it hurts has international repercussions.

besides, the French have been shitty allies for 70 years.

AmPat
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Which makes him either an idiot, likely, or a complete fool, assured.

Gingersnap
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Britain is a bigger ally to the U.S.A. than France. Jeez, my dog knows this and he can barely read. Obama was sucking up to France and backhanding the Brits.

Bailey
01-11-2011, 11:48 AM
I could be wrong but doesnt he hate the brits for what happend to his father in africa?"

Gingersnap
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I could be wrong but doesnt he hate the brits for what happend to his father in africa?"

Well, if you read WND, he hates the Brits for what colonialism did to some guy in Africa since he had to use that guy as a stand-in for the real father who financed his expensive education in Hawaii. :p

Bailey
01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, if you read WND, he hates the Brits for what colonialism did to some guy in Africa since he had to use that guy as a stand-in for the real father who financed his expensive education in Hawaii. :p

Ok I knew was along those lines lol

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 12:46 PM

In this case, "biggest" means "greatest," since France is not our biggest ally in terms of population, geographic size or military (either in terms of gross size or as a percentage of population), which is completely false. Had Obama called France our "first" ally, as France was the first nation to aid us during the Revolutionary War, then that would have also been a backhanded jab at Britain, albeit a much subtler one, and one that would have been factually correct. Clearly, either his staff or Obama is completely tone-deaf to diplomacy, not to mention ignorant of history.

Britain is a bigger ally to the U.S.A. than France. Jeez, my dog knows this and he can barely read. Obama was sucking up to France and backhanding the Brits.
Your dog can read? If he's got a decent delivery and can sit in front of a teleprompter, he may be qualified to succeed Obama. :D

lacarnut
01-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Which makes him either an idiot, likely, or a complete fool, assured.

I would say both positively.

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Hmmm... It occurs to me that with a slightly less, uhm, accurate reading of history, one could make the argument that France has been our staunchest ally. First, since our fearless leader considers American hubris the greatest threat to world peace, France's deliberate undermining of every military action that we have taken since WWII served to reign in our arrogance. They were simply giving us tough love.

As for French valor, let's remember that on D-Day, the French were in Normandy before the British and Americans. True, they were in hiding, but that's not the point, is it? They were there first, and that's what matters.

And would the British have successfully evacuated Dunkirk if the French hadn't delayed the Germans by surrendering and then appearing to collaborate? It took time to process all of those prisoners and get through those throngs of collaborators. The delay saved the British!

And lt's not forget the self-sacrificing French. The constant wining and dining that the French subjected the Germans to took a massive toll on their cholesterol levels, causing them all manner of health issues that lasted long after the war ended. Vive le France! :D

Gingersnap
01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Your dog can read? If he's got a decent delivery and can sit in front of a teleprompter, he may be qualified to succeed Obama. :D

Delivery is okay in front of a friendly crowd but he gets too flustered when he lies.

AmPat
01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Delivery is okay in front of a friendly crowd but he gets too flustered when he lies.
Has he tried a teleprompter? It fixed O Blah Blkah's stutter.:confused:

hampshirebrit
01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
At least we know why he's not going to Andrew's wedding.
You mean William's wedding, surely.

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Too bad. He'd have been a great Blue Dog Democrat, but since he can't lie, he'll have no future in the party.

PoliCon
01-11-2011, 08:51 PM

If none are bigger - then all others are SMALLER. What more - given how cold and rude and arrogant the french are towards the US and our foreign policies - this man is clearly on crack to be claiming such stupidity to be truth.

m00
01-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Sarkozy is as right wing as they come in France...

PoliCon
01-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Sarkozy is as right wing as they come in France...

true - but that does not negate the fact that he is a frog.

Odysseus
01-11-2011, 10:13 PM
You mean William's wedding, surely.

I'm sorry, you are correct. And don't call me "Shirley."

m00
01-11-2011, 10:21 PM
true - but that does not negate the fact that he is a frog.

Sarkozy has record low popularity numbers. The French pretty much hate him. Two peas in a pod, those two.

Rockntractor
01-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Sarkozy has record low popularity numbers. The French pretty much hate him. Two peas in a pod, those two.

They don't like him because he can't grant them all their wishes, they are running out of other peoples money.
The eastern world will soon rule because the western world forgot how to work.

PoliCon
01-12-2011, 12:08 AM

well if the French people hate him he must be doing SOMETHING right!

Sonnabend
01-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Is it even remotely possible for this imbecile, just ONCE, to open his mouth and NOT shove both feet in it?

Bloody HELL...:mad:

AmPat
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Is it even remotely possible for this imbecile, just ONCE, to open his mouth and NOT shove both feet in it?

Bloody HELL...:mad:The only time this imbecile opens his mouth is to switch feet. In the interim, his sheeple suck the toes on his exposed foot. It is the proper way to worship their god.:cool:

Bleda
01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I do agree that Sarkozy is probably one of the most pro-American leaders in the world (seriously), but I wouldn't say the French people are just as friendly to America as, say, the Brits.

By the way, guys, you should read this post on Hot Air. This really is a non-issue, what Obama said.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/01/11/british-paper-to-obama-what-do-you-mean-you-have-no-stronger-ally-than-france/