PDA

View Full Version : Five Game-Changing McCain VP picks

Elspeth
08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.savethegop.com/2008/08/25/five-game-changing-mccain-vp-picks/

Five Game-Changing McCain VP picks
Written by Jack Burden on August 25th, 2008

Most of the recent talk about McCain runningmates has been that he will make a conventional pick - Mitt Romney, Rob Portman, Tim Pawlenty. These are safe choices, and each comes with their own unique strengths. But what candidates are there who would be more than that? Choices that could really transform the race, and alter the conversation. Here are five candidates that I think could be “game changing” picks for McCain.

1. Colin Powell - The former Secretary of State and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is one of the most respected men in America. The Obama campaign has heavily courted his endorsement, but has thus far failed to get it. Choosing him is not without its problems - Powell is pro-choice - but his jumping on the McCain ticket would add tremendous heft, and remind voters just how little real experience Obama has.

2. John Breaux - Senator Joe Lieberman is most often mentioned as a potential Democrat to add. But Breaux would be a better choice. A true moderate Democrat, Breaux had a strong pro-life voting record in the Senate and like McCain, was well known for his willingness to tackle tough issues and reach across party lines. Breaux is conservative enough not to cause the base to riot, but will be a steady reminder that while Obama merely talks about bipartisanship, McCain really does it.

3. Mike Pence - The conservative Indiana congressman is probably the best public speaker in the Republican party. He would bring the house down at the convention, and fire up the base in a way that would make up the ‘excitement’ gap that we keep hearing about. He would remind voters that the Republican ticket this year is not more Bush, as Pence has been on the front lines fighting big government Republicanism over the last eight years. And, he would annihilate Joe Biden in the debate.

4. John Ashcroft - “The rehabilitation of John Ashcroft has been a wonder to behold.” Those were the first words of a Washington Post article last month, a headline that most never thought they would see. But Ashcroft’s public image has been transformed in the time since he left the Bush administration, as the truth about his record on protecting civil liberties has become public. The 2004 visit by Alberto Gonzales and Andy Card to his hospital bedside to try and pressure him to fold on FISA has become a DC legend. Ashcroft would excite conservatives and bring tremendous star power to the ticket.

5. Peter Fitzgerald - This is the ultimate dark horse choice - a name that I haven’t heard anyone mention. Obama’s predecessor as Senator from Illinois, Fitzgerald was the kind of serious reformer that Obama claims to be but isn’t. Choosing him as running mate would draw attention to Obama’s real background in corrupt Illinois politics. It would totally reshape the race by giving Republicans a candidate with the credibility to tell Americans the truth about Obama’s political upbringing. Fitzgerald is a steadfast conservative, but with the same maverick inclinations as McCain, enough to win in a blue state like Illinois. He would be a serious game changer.

I'm telling you, if McCain chooses Powell, I will not only vote Republican for the first time ever but I'll work the goddamned phone banks. My friend who works in DC met Powell's son and has the highest regard for him and that family. As for me, I think Powell might be the only one who could make Iraq a success. The only problem is that Powell keeps hinting that he will endorse BO. I'd rather have him in office instead of endorsing and empty suit.

Any thoughts?

Eyelids
08-26-2008, 01:21 PM
You lose Elspeth:

Powell spokeswoman Peggy Cifrino:
“Colin Powell will not be at either convention."

LibraryLady
08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Colin Powell will not run. His wife Alma would have a fit. But Powell maxed out donations to McCain. He is also 70 years old.

Breaux is interesting and I hadn't even considered him.

Fitzgerald? hmmmm

Eyelids
08-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Ashcroft would be an impossible person for McCain to have on the ticket. Obama would just draw the Bush connection clear as day and November 4th would essentially turn into a nationwide job approval poll for George Bush.

ralph wiggum
08-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Colin Powell will not run. His wife Alma would have a fit. But Powell maxed out donations to McCain. He is also 70 years old.

Breaux is interesting and I hadn't even considered him.

Fitzgerald? hmmmm

Fitzgerald was the first Senator I voted for after moving to Illinois, and it was an absolute pleasure to vote for him to replace Carol Moseley-Braun.

He's a very sharp guy, but has mostly disappeared from the political front after his one term in the U.S. Senate.

Elspeth
08-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Fitzgerald was the first Senator I voted for after moving to Illinois, and it was an absolute pleasure to vote for him to replace Carol Moseley-Braun.

He's a very sharp guy, but has mostly disappeared from the political front after his one term in the U.S. Senate.

Well, as McCain is so well know, he can afford to go with a dark horse. We'll see what he does. Meanwhile, the choice of Biden didn't seem to do Obama any good. Latest Gallup poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/109834/Gallup-Daily-Bounce-Obama-Post-Biden-Tracking.aspx

Gallup Daily: No Bounce for Obama in Post-Biden Tracking

PRINCETON, NJ -- It's official: Barack Obama has received no bounce in voter support out of his selection of Sen. Joe Biden to be his vice presidential running mate.

Gallup Poll Daily tracking from Aug. 23-25, the first three-day period falling entirely after Obama's Saturday morning vice presidential announcement, shows 46% of national registered voters backing John McCain and 44% supporting Obama, not appreciably different from the previous week's standing for both candidates. This is the first time since Obama clinched the nomination in early June, though, that McCain has held any kind of advantage over Obama in Gallup Poll Daily tracking.

Eyelids
08-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Obama's bump will come when McCain picks Romney.

LibraryLady
08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Zer-0 will get his "bump" when Bill Clinton speaks and blows Obama away.

asdf2231
08-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Ashcroft would be an impossible person for McCain to have on the ticket. Obama would just draw the Bush connection clear as day and November 4th would essentially turn into a nationwide job approval poll for George Bush.

Lets see...

What was the approval rating for SENATORS vs. the President these days...

Have fun sailing THAT failboat.

linda22003
08-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Ashcroft hasn't been a senator for a long time. He lost to a dead guy. Probably not the most dynamic choice McCain could make. :rolleyes:

LibraryLady
08-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Zer-0 will get his "bump" when Bill Clinton speaks and blows Obama away.

And it has started!

Bill Clinton in Denver again undercuts Obama (http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/bill-clinton-in-denver-again-undercuts-obama-2008-08-26.html)

DENVER — Bill Clinton appeared to undermine Sen. Barack Obama again Tuesday.

The former president, speaking in Denver, posed a hypothetical question in which he seemed to suggest that that the Democratic Party was making a mistake in choosing Obama as its presidential nominee.

He said: "Suppose you're a voter, and you've got candidate X and candidate Y. Candidate X agrees with you on everything, but you don't think that candidate can deliver on anything at all. Candidate Y you agree with on about half the issues, but he can deliver. Which candidate are you going to vote for?"

I worked for the state of Ark when this schmuck was Gov. He is not going to go easily.

megimoo
08-26-2008, 02:32 PM
http://www.savethegop.com/2008/08/25/five-game-changing-mccain-vp-picks/

I'm telling you, if McCain chooses Powell, I will not only vote Republican for the first time ever but I'll work the goddamned phone banks. My friend who works in DC met Powell's son and has the highest regard for him and that family. As for me, I think Powell might be the only one who could make Iraq a success. The only problem is that Powell keeps hinting that he will endorse BO. I'd rather have him in office instead of endorsing and empty suit.

Any thoughts?The reason you like him is that he is on the edge between Conservatism and your side.He is more RINO than most and untrustworthy just like Wesley Clark !

Elspeth
08-26-2008, 02:35 PM
The reason you like him is that he is on the edge between Conservatism and your side.He is more RINO than most and untrustworthy just like Wesley Clark !

I AM a moderate after all. :D

But I really think we need someone who can fix the mess in Iraq. Yes, things are going better, but there will be a problem when (and if) we withdraw. Powell remembers the Vietnam withdraw with VC shooting at American soldiers on the way out. He's not going to want that for Iraq.

Aklover
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
If McCain is smart which I have doubts it will be one of very few people.

Gov. Palin of Alaska
Gov. Sanford of S.Carolina

Romney is a mormon which means lower religeous turn out and on bad ground with gun owners.
Guliani has been made larfely irrelevent and is a government thuggery advocate, bye bye small l Libertarian vote and a lot of religeous vote also on bad ground with gun owners.
Lieberman is a liberal
Aschcroft = stinch of Bush
Powell = unknown commodity
I have never heard of a lot of people on the OPs list.

M21
08-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Ashcroft hasn't been a senator for a long time. He lost to a dead guy. Probably not the most dynamic choice McCain could make. :rolleyes:I agree. Ashcroft would be one of the worst choices possible.