PDA

View Full Version : "Canada: Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave !"

megimoo
01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
National Post editorial board: Canada is the true land of the free
It’s amazing, but true: The United States can take some lessons on economic freedom from its northern neighbor.

When the Wall Street Journal and the Heritage Foundation began compiling their Index of Economic Freedom a decade ago, Canada consistently ranked behind the United States and other developed nations on such measurements as regulatory freedom, commitment to free trade, property rights and freedom from corruption.

In this year’s rankings, however, we are ahead of the Americans: We’re sixth, they’re ninth. Why the change?

Much of the switch in fortunes is the result of America’s decline since the global financial crisis began in 2008. But our own score jumped modestly from last year, as well. In part, the report tells us, this is because Canada’s “straightforward regulations and the competitive tax regime facilitate entrepreneurial activity and lure dynamic investment.”

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/01/12/national-post-editorial-board-canada-is-the-true-land-of-the-free/

PoliCon
01-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Why the hell is Hong Kong still even on the list? They no longer exist as an independent entity.

Yukon
01-14-2011, 10:43 AM
We are net exporters of oil and it is for this reason we are doing well economically. Make no mistake though the US is our largest trading partner and we (Canada) are thier largest trading partner - many Americans are unaware of this economic fact.

PoliCon
01-15-2011, 12:49 AM
We are net exporters of oil and it is for this reason we are doing well economically. Make no mistake though the US is our largest trading partner and we (Canada) are thier largest trading partner - many Americans are unaware of this economic fact.

and if the Barry and the idiots in congress would get the F* out of the way - we could drill and improve our situation with that one little item.

m00
01-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Suck it! :p

Yukon
01-15-2011, 10:26 AM
We've never had a black Prime Minister or black Provincial Premier. Would you therefore conclude that Canada is a racist country?

Apache
01-15-2011, 10:33 AM
We've never had a black Prime Minister or black Provincial Premier. Would you therefore conclude that Canada is a racist country?

WTF are you going on about? Fool...

Yukon
01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
What Im saying is that even though we rank far, far ahead of the USA in virtually every category we have yet to break free from our somewhat racist history - America has for you have elected numerous black Governors and a black President. This would tend to eliminate any possibility of racism but to date we have not done anything as great for minorities. Therefore are we in Canada seen as being racist?

Apache
01-15-2011, 10:51 AM
What Im saying is that even though we rank far, far ahead of the USA in virtually every category we have yet to break free from our somewhat racist history - America has for you have elected numerous black Governors and a black President. This would tend to eliminate any possibility of racism but to date we have not done anything as great for minorities. Therefore are we in Canada seen as being racist?

Dunno, I don't follow Canadian politics/politicians. Have you ever had any black cadidate stand out?

NJCardFan
01-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Kindly list the category's where Canada is ahead of the U.S. I'll wait.

Yukon
01-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Not to my knowledge. But I am asking honestly. Do Americans view Canadians as a racist people ?

Apache
01-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Not to my knowledge. But I am asking honestly. Do Americans view Canadians as a racist people ?

To be honest most Americans don't view Canada, period. Its just a vast empty mass north of our country...:p

SarasotaRepub
01-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Not to my knowledge.

Apache
01-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Maple syrup
ice
snow
ice
snow
ice
snow
ice
snow... and...

Canadians :D

Yukon
01-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Apache,

You forgot to lis Canadian Club whiskey and Canadian bacon and for goodness sake dont forget Justin Beaver.

Gingersnap
01-15-2011, 11:10 AM

As you point out, Canada is our closest ally and largest trading partner. It is also a beautiful country. It is, however, a very small country in terms of population. Americans have no opinion regarding racism in Canada because Canada simply doesn't have a large enough non-white population to encounter the various issues that occur in an extremely diverse, extremely large population.

Apache
01-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Apache,

You forgot to lis Canadian Club whiskey and Canadian bacon and for goodness sake dont forget Justin Beaver.

Mean drunk, no whisky :o

Oops! I love the bacon!

You can have Justin, I'll take Shania :p

NJCardFan
01-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Still waiting. And Canadien Club whiskey tastes like it was fermented in someone undershorts. So you fail miserably there. Now, Crown Royal I'll give you.

Apache
01-15-2011, 11:23 AM
As you point out, Canada is our closest ally and largest trading partner. It is also a beautiful country. It is, however, a very small country in terms of population. Americans have no opinion regarding racism in Canada because Canada simply doesn't have a large enough non-white population to encounter the various issues that occur in an extremely diverse, extremely large population.

Hey!:mad:

Isn't that what I said :confused:

NJCardFan
01-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Has anyone talked to the Eskimo's yet?

Apache
01-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Still waiting. And Canadien Club whiskey tastes like it was fermented in someone undershorts. So you fail miserably there. Now, Crown Royal I'll give you.

B-b-but I did already :(

Apache
01-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Still waiting for them to get 3G :D

Gingersnap
01-15-2011, 11:54 AM

You mean the seven or eight who are left? As a percentage of total population they aren't a big factor.

Novaheart
01-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Dunno, I don't follow Canadian politics/politicians. Have you ever had any black cadidate stand out?

The governor general of Canada is black, but she was appointed by The Crown.

Novaheart
01-15-2011, 11:59 AM

We view Canada as an insurance policy. If the US is overrun by illegal alien invaders, we can pull back to Canada.

Apache
01-15-2011, 12:27 PM
The governor general of Canada is black, but she was appointed by The Crown.

Appointed not elected, got it...

So the question remains.

fettpett
01-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Apache,

you're actually claiming THAT waste of talent? dumbass

Kay
01-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Not in my opinion.

The best thing to come out of Canada is Corb Lund.
Canada has given us some good tunes.
I shall start a Canadian jukebox.

Apache
01-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I shall start a Canadian jukebox.

Sure, just don't expect Yukon to stick around ;)

Yukon
01-15-2011, 02:02 PM

Well the first one that comes to mind is civility.

lacarnut
01-15-2011, 02:06 PM

You left out the most important fact which I gather you are unaware of being a liberal and that is Canada has made a concerted effort to cut spending which has led to downward spiral of debt which has decreased tremendously. The US should take note. This is one of the reasons for Canada's high rating on the economic freedom chart. Schooling a Canuck is hard work. :D

djones520
01-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Well they tax their corporations at something like a third of what we tax ours. That's something that's really helping them grow while we still stagnate.

PoliCon
01-15-2011, 02:34 PM

You're asking the wrong group of people. Most of us - I do stress MOST of us- are not obsessed - as is the left - with the issue of race. Personally, When I think of Canadians I think of Red Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QFRSjWVTmY

Apache
01-15-2011, 02:49 PM
You're asking the wrong group of people. Most of us - I do stress MOST of us- are not obsessed - as is the left - with the issue of race. Personally, When I think of Canadians I think of Red Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QFRSjWVTmY

I am so ASHAMED :(

How could I have forgotten Red Green...

Dammit:mad:

PoliCon
01-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I am so ASHAMED :(

How could I have forgotten Red Green...

Dammit:mad:

As punishment - you must flog yourself with a regulation Terrible Towel.

NJCardFan
01-16-2011, 02:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAYMJnO9LBQ